Timothy Pont Text Isle of Lismore circa late 1500's

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Donald Livingstone Clink

David Livingstone

Post by Donald Livingstone Clink »

Niall, Turns out K.W. Grant in 1925 was correct about Livingstone's great grandfather. Livingstone in fact stated in his 1859 autobiography Missionary Travels in South Africa that "Our great grandfather fell at the battle of Culloden, fighting for the old line of kings and our grandfather was a small farmer in Ulva, where my father was born". If we agree that Dr. Livingston is correct and his great-grandfather (born abt. 1715?) died at Culloden in 1746 then it is unlikely that this is the Neil or Donald Livingstone who retrieved the bones of James Stewart in 1756 or 1757 and fled to Morvern and Ulva. Livingstone makes it quite clear in opening pages of his book that his grandfather was great story teller and gave detailed accounts of his ancestors for six generations. It is unfortunate that Dr. Livingstone did not pass on more of his family history as it is obvious as boy he heard these details many a time. He mentions that Walter Scott published a book of Scottish legends "Tales of a Grandfather" that apparently contained many of the legends his Grandfather Livingstone told. No doubt that book would be hard to find today I would imagine. Unfortunately Dr.Livingstone who seems to know details of the history of the family for the past six generation makes little mention of early Livingstone family origins except that his great grandfather died at Culloden, his grandfather had a farm at Ulva and later went to Blantyre. Among the few details of the past he give us is interesting story of how the Livingstones were compelled by the Laird (no doubt a Campbell) in the 1500's to convert to the protestant religion. I recall this story is elaborated upon by another later historian. The lack of details on the Doctor's family origins should not detract one from reading this interesting and well written autobiography. I noticed this book has been reproduced on-line at http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/ ... outhAfrica
Bachuil

Miles

Post by Bachuil »

Donald, It has long been my view that all Argyll Livingstones/McLeas are related.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Donald Livingstone Clink

David Livingstone

Post by Donald Livingstone Clink »

Hi Niall, As a final note to my attempt to establish to sort out any Dr. Livingstone descrepancies with Carmichael, Grant, Moncrieffe and McNab we should lastly time a look at what McNab stated. You might want to check a copy of this book to verify this, but the page I am seeing in front of me states that "his grandfather was involved in the aftermath of the hanging of James of the Glen." Dr. Livingstone's grandfather, Neil Livingstone I think we can all agree would have been a child in the 1750's when the Livingstone brothers rescued the bones of their family friend James Stewart who remains had been left to hang. Nor does this story seem to fit with Dr. Livingstones great-grandfather either whom others have suggested was a Neil Livingstone who rescued the bones. Amid all the descrepancies and scarce details it seems to me that chances are good that Dr. Livingstone who spent many hours with the family story teller, his grandfather would be as certain as anyone that his great-grandfather died in 1746 at Culloden. His great-grandfather's family may well have originated at Ballachulish as McNab asserts, but the story that Dr. Livingstone's great-grandfather rescued the bones of James Stewart in 1756 or 1757 does not seem to have from Dr. Livingstone 19th century recollections. The Lismore origins of Dr. Livingstone aren't unfortunately mentioned in his brief details of his family origins, but your family tree which connects his great-grandfather Neil? born abt. 1715 to your ancestor Baron Dougal Maconlea makes sense to me. You don't suppose there is any chance that somewhere collecting a mountain of dust among the Livingstones papers is a full detailed account by Doctor Livingstone of his family origins as told to him by his story telling grandfather Neil? What did his daughter's biography have to say regarding the family origins? I would be interested to read a more recent history of your family in particular your grandfather and father's story, if you have time to write that for the forum.
Grant South1

The Carmichaels and Blacks of Lismore

Post by Grant South1 »

Dear Robert, To further support that research and MRCA estimates, Adams and Innes of Learney, have the Carmichaels and MacMichaels of Lismore and Appin as you say, from Galloway. Further the Blacks or MacIlduy were from the island of Gometra, near Mull, followers of MacLean of Duart. Again, later being found on Lismore. All the best. Grant South
Bachuil

David Livingstone

Post by Bachuil »

We have always held MacNair's book "Livingstone the Liberator" as the most relevant. MacNair states that (according to DL's first book "Missionary Travels" and refers to RJ Campbell's "Livingstone" chapter II) David claimed his great-great-grandfather fell at Culloden.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Bachuil

The Blacks of Lismore

Post by Bachuil »

According to Carmichael in 'Lismore in Alba' on p 68 there was a S Dubhoc or Dubha who was an Abbot of Lismore and from whom the Blacks are supposed to take their name.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Robert Alexander Livingstone

David Livingstone

Post by Robert Alexander Livingstone »

Hi David, I don't know if it will offer anything that you haven't already researched but I have come across a Myles Livingstone while sorting families born on Lismore.