Muster Rolls of Prince Charlie, 1745-6

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear members, I just recently noted that Alastair Livingstone of Bachuil is listed as one of the editors to the ('new' 2001 edition of?) "No quarter given: The muster roll of Prince Charles Edward Stuart's army, 1745-46" Apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseum before, but I am largely ignorant of this tome, and figured I'd ask: I wondered if anyone who has looked at this book has noted the presence of M(a)cLea and Livingston(e) chaps serving in the regiments.
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

I have the 1984 edition which lists these in the Appin Regiment: Livingstone, Angus Livingstone, Donald, (Domhnull Molach), Morvern Livingstone, Donald, Lismore Livingstone, Donald, Perthshire Livingstone, ?, Great grandfather of Dr David Livingstone (NB other comments about great great Grandfather)
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Donald Livingstone Clink

Post by Donald Livingstone Clink »

I am not familiar with the Muster Rolls for the Appin Regiment, but have ordered a copy of "No Quarter Given" which was edited by Baron Alistair Livingstone and look forward to learning more about what information can be gathered from the muster rolls. As the story goes Livingstones/ Maconleas/McLeas from Mull/ Morvern/Lismore/Benderloch served in the Appin Regiment commanded by Charles Stewart of Ardshield and several were apparently killed at the Battle of Culloden in 1746. I assume that our Livingstone ancestors for most part went by clan name of Maconlea or MacLea and would have been recorded as such on a muster roll at that time, but some MacLeas were known to have used the name Livingstone prior to officially adopting the name as their clan name. A list of casualties recorded by a Charles Stewart, Captain in the Highland Army and quartermaster general and secretary to Prince Charles Stewart for the 1745-1746 period survives and this list records that 4 MacLeas of the Appin Regiment were killed and one wounded. A few years later a 1750 list of Freeholders in Argyll lists Duncan Macinlea at Bachuil on the Isle of Lismore. Sometime between 1750 and 1770 for reasons not entirely clear, most of our Maclea/Maconleas in the Mull/Morvern/Isle of Lismore/Benderloch area of Argyll changed their name to Livingstone. How many in the area refused to change their name, I do not know.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Hi donald - When you do receive the book, let us know what family members might be listed, or other information in it.
Donald Livingstone Clink

I believe I should have stated Charles Stewart of Ardshiel was the Commander of the Appin Stewart Regiment at the Battle of Culloden not Charles Stewart of Ardshield. Sorry about that. Donald
Keith Livingstone Australia

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

In an old churchyard at/near Portnacroish, near the estuary inlet, is a delapidated stone church with a Culloden headstone set into the wall. There are numerous old graves nearby, and the grounds are well-tended. Entrance is via a driveway off the main A828 road, that can appear to lead to a neighbouring property. Anyhow, I filmed the headstone in 2002, and from memory it said under the list of deceased: "Livingstones, or MacLeas,4." Obviously they grouped them all into the one lot to help us all out now.
Donald Livingstone Clink

Interesting. We can assume the stone, however old, was not erected immediately following the Battle of Culloden (1746), but created at some later time when many of the MacLea/Maconlea Clan of Argyll were going by name Livingstone. You didn't happen to find out what happened to old stone at Morvern probably at Keil Cemetery from the late 1700's that has a faded Livingstone family coat of arms?
Keith Livingstone Australia

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

Actually I think the headstone was from Culloden, being representative of Appin/Argyll deceased, but re-erected in the wall at some stage in the more recent past.