Roots to David?

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Robert Alexander Livingstone

Roots to David?

Post by Robert Alexander Livingstone »

Just starting to delve into some of this geneology on my own and am  hoping for some connections.  I came across some birth records that ID my grandfather (Allan b. 1867).  He came to New York in the 1880's and began a business with his brother John.  His last residence was in Tinnebrough (spelling) with a sister probably Isabella.  Family lore has it that his grandfather and Davids father were brothers. To the best of my knowledge the rest of the family remained in Scotland.  Here is the link: John Livingston & Euphemia McIntyre John, son of Duncan Livingston & Chirsty McLean (b. 1830, Lismore) Euphemia (b. c. 1830, Glasgow) 1 Mar. 1851, m. Dunblane, Perth, Scotland c. 1850, son Duncan b. Larkhall, Lanark, Scotland 1850, son Angus b. 7 Feb. 1855, son John b. Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland 31 Mar. 1857, dau. Christina b. Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland 3 Apr. 1859, dau. Isabella b. Hutchesontown, Lanark, Scotland 24 Mar. 1861, son Alexander b. Hutchesontown, Lanark, Scotland 20 Mar. 1863, son James b. Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland 30 Mar. 1865, dau. Euphemia b. Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland 28 Feb. 1867, son Allan b. Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland 1 Dec. 1868, son Dugald Colquhoun b. Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland 30 Apr. 1871, son Malcolm McCorkindale b. Springburn, Lanark, Scotland 1881, census Govan (John 53 Lismore, Euphemia 51 Glasgow, Duncan 31 Larkhall, Alexander 20 Glasgow, Isabella 21 Glasgow, James 18 Glasgow, Allan 14 Glasgow, Dugald 10 Glasgow, Malcolm 8 Glasgow) (Sources: C1881S, IGI, OPRI) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Livingston2

Roots to David?

Post by Rob Livingston2 »

Hi Robert, I am the project coordinator for the Livingstone Surname Project. I note that you joined the DNA project back on Jan 16, but the email address you gave bounced back.  If you could forward me a new address, I would appreciate it.  Mine is rlivingston1488@sbcglobal.net.  Good and bad news for you. Bad news first, nobody from the Isle of Lismore has been able to document a close relationship to Dr. Livingstone.  And we have yet to get anybody with such documentation to join in the DNA project.  Good news is that if you have documentation to John Livingstone, born at Lismore (as indicated by the census records), then you have a few relatives including Baron Livingstone of Lismore(and his family) and my family (from California) as distant cousins.  The DNA testing should confirm that. When I do the math from the 1881 Census, it would put John's birthdate at 1828, not 1830.  Do you concur?  If that is the case, they he is likely John, the son of Duncan Livingstone (born 26 Oct 1788)and Dorothy Livingstone.  John's birthdate was 28 Dec 1827.  He would have been the grandson of Baron John Livingstone (born circa 1745) and Sarah MacLachlan.  You can find a page with all of these church records on my website, http://pages.sbcglobal.net/rlivingston1488/lismore.htm I have had contact with a descendant of John's older brother Adam who had a lumber business in Edinburgh and then came to America.  I'll see if I can't get in touch with him.  He presently lives in Pennsylvania. Welcome to the family, cousin! Rob Livingston Placerville, California
Bachuil

Its working!

Post by Bachuil »

I am so delighted that this forum seems to be working. People have written to me on many occasions over the years and there have been some tantalising hints.  However, I am not an expert on recent family history and have never had the full picture.  From the various comments I felt that we could build up a picture if we shared the information. If Rob is right this is very exciting news.  Your very delighted cousin, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Elizabeth Jennings Rutledge

wife, Mother, Grandmother, homemakerTeacher, graphoanalyst

Post by Elizabeth Jennings Rutledge »

Hello: It was gratifying to discover under the name McCorkindale a connection somehow to Hutchesontown, Lanark, Scotland.  I have been intently seeking information on the connection recorded  by my Father briefly in name only  to the McCorkindale descent,by way of his Mother. "His Mother, Annie Granger, descended from the McCorkindales" as her grandparents, I believe.   She was listed as "from Hutchesontown, etc."  She was born in 1865, one of six Grangers, who eventually went to Canada. She  was a tea-totaling, lovable little person, indeed.She met and married a James Jennings originally from Eniskillen, Ireland, but who also went to Canada. My husband and I live in the midwest, have a lovely family of three offspring and seven (soon to be eight) grandchildren offspring.  We would be delighted to hear from you on this, and also as to your whereabouts.  Kind regards, Elizabeth Rutledge

Hi Elizabeth, Thanks for the post. I took a look at the previous generation and have listed it below. Duncan Livingston & Chirsty McLean Duncan, son of Adam Livingston & Mary McCorquodale (b. 1812, Lismore) 5 June 1830, son John Livingston bap. Lismore, Argyll, Scotland (res. Achuaran) [m. Euphemia McIntyre 1851] 14 Nov. 1832, dau. Catherine Livingston bap. Lismore, Argyll, Scotland (res. Achuaran) 3 Sep. 1836, son Alexander Livingston bap. Lismore, Argyll, Scotland (res. Achuaran) Duncan Livingston left Lismore about 1838. You can see where Mary McCorquodale married into the family.  Judging by the similarity of the prononciation I would suspect it is the same name with different spellings.  I had an Aunt Effie because at the baptism nobody was certain how to spell Euphemia. As for myself, We live on Long Island about 35 miles from NYC.  Have 4 grown children and 5 grandchildren.  My wife's father was originally from the midwest. He was a McElheny born in Tiffin Ohio where his family dates back to the 1770's. Good to hear from you, BobL
Karen Jean Coats

Post by Karen Jean Coats »

Hi!  I noticed you have an Aunt Effie...I am the great grand daughter of a Euphemia Livingston... do you have an history regarding her at all?  She was my grandfather's (Charles McCrae Coats) mother.  There is some speculation she may have married twice, once to a Coats, and once to a McGaff (McGough, unsure of the spelling).  Any information you have on her would be great.  BTW, my grandfather was born in Scotland, in the early 1900's.  He had at least one sister named Flora Livingston Coats, who died in Greenoch Scotland, in 1984/85.  There was also a step-brother, William Coats McGough(sp?). The Livingston Coats family was from the outer islands of Scotland and spoke Gaelic.  Do you by any chance have any further information?  I am sure the Euphemia is the direct link from the Livingstones to the Coats, but as I am unaware of my paternal grandfather's actual name, and/or who our Euphemia married, I can't get the direct connection.  Any further information you have on your Aunt Effie would likely do the trick! Regards Karen Jean Coats

Hi Karen, I don't think I can help you.  My Grandfathers sister was Euphemia born in 1865 in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland, but she doesn't show with the rest of the family in the '81 census. My grandfather died before I was born so I never heard any first hand stories, though I remember my grandmother (Mary Cameron) saying that he could speak gaelic. I do know that he stayed with a sister in Tinnebrough (Spelling error) prior to coming to the US. That's a town on the water south and a bit east of Lismore. Perhaps that is where Euphemia was in '81.  Regards, BobL
Karen Jean Coats

Post by Karen Jean Coats »

Thank you so much for the information.  It might be a dead end, but its another place to start looking. Regards. Karen