The name Living

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Andrew Lancaster4

The name Living

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

I received a copy of an old book today: Jottings for Early History of The Levinge Family by Sir Richard G. A. Levinge, Bart. Part I. (Dublin 1873). It is truly in a note form, and quite concentrated, so it is almost pointless to try to summarise what is already a summary of early English sightings of names. If people have questions, now you know I have a copy. A few remarks might perhaps not go astray... The work does seem to have presumed that most or all sightings in England of this name are based upon the Anglo-Saxon Leofwin. However by the time of Domesday it strikes me that the name, at that time quite common, does not look much like Leofwin. Generally the name is spelt with "Leuu-"or "Lew-". Looking at all the spellings of the early middle ages makes me think of Dutch Leeuw (lion) and the city Leuvin (Louvin). Another interesting point is that the very first man mentioned in this list of sightings is Saint Livinus/Levinas/Lebuin/Livin/Liwin. But this man was an Irish missionary martyred in Belgium in 656 - hardly likely to have been an Anglo Saxon; and also hardly likely not to have had an influence on future naming patterns, as he became a saint. Many of the Livings (with that spelling) in this history are churchmen. This saint was the son of an Irish lord named Theague. Place names. Rob will like this. I quote: Personal or patronymic, the name LEOFWINE has, after Danish and Saxon use, been given to places - the dwellings, the heritage, of LEVINGE the occupier: thus - LEVEN, Beverley; LEVEN in Fifeshire (?); LEVENS, Milthorpe; LEVENS, north Lancashire; the "t
Keith Livingstone Australia

The name Living

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

Wow! A lot of research there Andrew! Very interesting and something else for the scholars to ruminate on!
Donald Livingstone Clink

The name Living

Post by Donald Livingstone Clink »

Hi Andrew, The origin of the lowland Livingstones like the highland Livingstones is subject to much debate. I'm afraid speculation as to the origin of the name Livingstone like that of Maconlea is never ending. The Norse presence on the Isle of Lismore and at Morvern would seem to be a historic fact and one of the castles on the Island was built upon a earlier Norse structure. My determination to find a Norse connection to the family may someday prove not to be in vain. Donald
Andrew Lancaster4

The name Living

Donald One thing I find interesting about this book is that does the opposite of what some Macleas do and ignores Irish possibilities and only looks at Anglo-Saxon ones. You are right that it will be difficult to ever sort out what is right. I suspect that different families with -l*v- components in their names tended to form "folk" etymological theories that linked them. But as we know from Maclea/Livingstone folklore, these connections became real in at lease some cases in the sense that these families became linked - helping each other after Culloden for example. Best Regards Andrew
Andrew Lancaster4

The name Living

Another thing worth mentioning is that the author suggested that some Welsh names might also be a source for some of these names.
Donald Livingstone Clink

The name Living

Hi Andrew, And if one accepts the 18th century Maclea account there was some sort of relationship between the lowland Livingstones and the highland Macleas or Maconleas 100 yrs prior to the Battle of Culloden. How much of the information contained in that document is accurate is open to debate, but it is interesting that James Livingstone of the aristocratic lowland Livingstones briefly lived on the Isle of Lismore in the 1640's and would have had contact with the Baron and the Maconleas on the Island at that time who like him were ardent Royalists and nonconvenanters. Whether James Livingstone elicited some bond of friendship with the clan Maclea at this time seems likely; they were a small clan and found strength in establishing friendships with more powerfull clans like the MacDougalls of Dunollie and the Stewarts of Appin. Across from the Isle of Lismore, my Morvern Livingstones likely had close ties with the MacInnes family and perhaps some of my ancestors were of this family. Other families in the area Camerons, Carmichaels, MacGilverarys, Macleans and MacLaughlins all are likely related to some of the Livingstones in the area. Donald
Charles Ross1

name derivations

Post by Charles Ross1 »

To add to Andrew Lancaster's posting, these days of course there are many Levin, Levene, Levinson, Lewison and so forth whose ancient Biblical Jewish origin is from the great priestly tribe of Levi.... indeed far removed from Leofwine.
Andrew Lancaster4

name derivations

Dear Charles You are right. I am not sure that this has been discussed on this forum yet but I know that a few of us have wondered if we'll get a "Middle Eastern" hit on the DNA project one day. My Livingstone family is not 100% sure of its paper trail, and the oldest known spelling when we did the DNA test was Living/Leving. The 1881 English census shows a Russian jewish family with this spelling in Liverpool. So at least a couple from my lot thought about it too. In short, you are right, some Livingstones may come from this origin also. So now we have Irish, Anglo-Saxon, Welsh and Jewish. I think that's all?
Donald Livingstone Clink

name derivations

Hi Andrew, Well I guess there are a number of alternative theories as to the origin of the lowland Livingstone family name, but bear in mind that the highland Livingstones, as far as we know, are not really Livingstones but highland Maconlea/Macleas almost certainly of gaelic Irish origins. As far as I know the Baron and his family are Maconleas are of gaelic origin who like my nearby Morvern Livingstone family adopted the name in the 1700's. The Baron's son has researched the name change and acknowledges that we were Maconleas. Donald
Andrew Lancaster4

name derivations

Hi Donald As far as I know there is no secure paper trail going back far enough to really tell us for sure what happened. In fact the earliest gaelic versions of the Maclea name itself, before Maconlea, still seem to be uncertain (Brown of the Hill, Son of a physician, etc etc). The connection there was felt to be with Livingstones seems to imply that the name had a v or f in it, as is also often suggested. But on the other hand I see no reason to doubt that what you say is true for the Highland Livingstone families you mention, as that is the tradition that has come down, and it makes sense. Donald have you had your DNA tested? Regards Andrew