History of the Arms of Livingston(e)

Forum for display and discussion of past, present, and potential future heraldry of the clan.
Forum rules
This is a public forum for discussion of Heraldry of the Clan MacLea (Livingstone) and all related topics. Make sure you don't post information you wish to remain private in this Forum.
Greg Livingston

Re: History of the Arms of Livingston(e)

Post by Greg Livingston »

Grant,

This is all great information. Some of it I do know and your posts above have increased my knowledge on the subject but there is a lot that I still don't know or understand. With your posts above and, hopefully, your future posts on the subject, it will increase our knowledge and be a great tool for others in the clan. I am incented to so more genealogical research and study heraldry more indepth.

Thank you!
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Grant MacLea South

Post by Grant MacLea South »

Hello Greg,

Let me know if you have a question and I will do my best to answer.

I am far from being authoritative on the subject, with only an intermediate level understanding. But as an Armiger I have taken an interest over several decades.

I was first introduced to both genealogy and heraldry as a boy by my grandfather, and as I am a painter, I have appreciated the art and expertise of Heraldic Artists over many years.

I also read Cultural Studies at university and symbology is as ancient as the first mark making in human society. Symbols generate meaning and communities and families organise themselves accordingly.

The Stodart system of cadency is a good place to start. This is all conditional on the original stem Arms and also if one holds quartered Arms, via an heiress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Differencing-en.png

Also I have included a link to Scots Heraldry at Google Books. The author Sir Thomas Innes of Learney, was a previous Lord Lyon.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=7JB ... ry&f=false

Please also find a link to a free ebook copy of, The Law and Practice of Heraldry in Scotland by George Seton.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=exw ... ry&f=false

These are great books to start ones reading.

All the very best!
Grant MacLea South, Esq.
Hereditary Fletcher of Clan MacLea.
Cadet of Achnacree.
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Grant--have you ever considered an article for the newsletter with the basics of Livingstone/MacLea heraldry and perhaps heraldry in general?

If your goal is to increase interest in arms and to encourage others clansmen to matriculate arms, it seems that some publicity in The Parnassus would be a great way to start!

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com