SNP testing

PUBLIC Forum for general discussion on the DNA Project. The DNA project includes both Highland and lowland Livingston/es as well as MacLeas and other related names. Please do NOT post private information to this Forum.

SNP testing

Postby mikkenie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi,

Let's introduce myself, I'm Remko Mikkenie and I live in the Netherlands. I traced my ancestry back to a Scottish soldier who married in the Netherlands and had a few children there (in the period 1698-1709). There were a lot of Scottish soldiers serving in the United Provinces back then (six regiments were Scottish during the War of the Spanish Succession). My ancestor Daniel Makelij probably died during the Battle of Malplaquet in 1709, because after that battle nothing is heard from him again. The Scottish regiments participated in that battle.

I'm trying to find out what my Scottish surname would have been. Makelij sounds somewhat like Mac-a-Lay. There have been numerous spellings of my surname, eventually turning into Mikkenie. Obviously, the first three letters have been Mac at some time.

I did some DNA-testing at FTDNA and YSEQ. One of my closest Y67-matches is a MacLeay, whose ancestors lived in the Lochbroom/Ullapool area (and maybe originated from the Contin area?). I also tested for a few SNP's, these are mutations where single nucleotides are replaced by a different one. My results are: R1b > R-P312/S116 > Z290 > L21/S145 > DF13 > Z39589 > L1335/S530 > L1065 (Scots) > Z16325 > S744 > S764 > S756 > Z16328. Have a look at this group of people at the Big Tree http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?bl ... star=false, they are my far cousins.

Are there any other MacLeay's, MacLea's or Livingstones that are going to perform SNP testing? I'm really curious if I would find a match with one of you.

Kind regards, Remko Mikkenie
mikkenie

Return to DNA Project