DNA question

PUBLIC Forum for general discussion on the DNA Project. The DNA project includes both Highland and lowland Livingston/es as well as MacLeas and other related names. Please do NOT post private information to this Forum.
Helen&Rod

DNA question

Post by Helen&Rod »

Hi to Everyone
This is my very first time to this forum. I wonder if anyone can help me please. If my husbands results from his DNA test says R-M 269 & YDNA Haplogroup is R1b1a2 does this mean he is definitely a LIVINGSTONE Descendant ? I noticed that another Livingstone has exactly the same results. Please can someone tell me how to read these results.
Thanking you
Helen
Kyle MacLea

Re: DNA question

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Helen,

I don't recall... did he test as part of our Project? Do you have a kit number for him? If not, if you send it along to me I may be able to give you more info.

The short answer to your question, though, is no. Being R-M269 is a firm sign he is of the R1b haplogroup and one particular branch of it. Now, R-M269 men are exceptionally common within our Project (and within largely Scottish projects in general) and many Livingstone men are indeed R-M269, but that alone does not prove a connection. What do his normal Y-DNA markers (called STR markers) give for matches? Any Livingston(e)s among the surnames there? That would be the best indication of a Livingstone tie, although imperfect because we many people's male lines have never been tested (thus far).

What kind of test did he do? What lab did he use? All this will help us interpret your question better! And help you more. :)

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

You can see that under R1b, R-M269 is one of the first branches. Under it are subgroups that are very common in our Project as well, in particular R-U106, R-P312, and R-L21.

http://www.geni.com/projects/R1b-M269-Y-DNA/5155

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Helen&Rod

Post by Helen&Rod »

Hi Kyle
Thankyou so much for your reply. As I mentioned I do not understand how this all works. My husbands kit no. is E28C94 which he did with Family tree.
I do hope this is what you meant for me to send.
I cannot check for other family members with the Livingstone surname because we think that an ancestor changed the surname of my husbands grandfather from Livingstone to James to match her other children and new husband.
I have been emailing Graham Livingstone and when I looked on the Livingstone part of Family Tree website it shows Graham as exactly the same as my husband Rod.
I would be very grateful for any help as it is a little frustrating not understanding it all.
Redgards
Helen
Helen&Rod

Post by Helen&Rod »

Sorry Kyle
My husbands Kit number is not the number that i posted before. His Kit No. is 309457.
Helen
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Helen

Traveling and unable to respond further right now. If i don't respond in the next week or so, email me at commissioner -at- clanlivingstone.com and i will look into it further!

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Helen&Rod

Post by Helen&Rod »

Hi Kyle
I posted a question some time ago and you responded saying that if I had not heard from you within a week or two for me to contact you at commissioner@clanlivingstone.com. I did this quite some time ago so I am posting this new email in case you did not get my last message to you.
Regards'
Helen
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Helen,

I got your message but have been straight out with work and family responsibilities and haven't been able to get to it. I should have some time later this week!

Sorry about that!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Helen&Rod

Post by Helen&Rod »

Hi Kyle
I have posted before and sent you an email re our Livingstone questions. I just wondered if you have had any time to have a look yet. I am so sorry to persist but It is quite important to myself and family to get the answers etc. Niall or Graham did mention that you were the one to give me an answer but if you can tell me who else to contact if your time is taken I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Regards
Helen
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Helen,

I am sorry. There is a long list of things on my plate, and genealogy and DNA are, at the moment, well down the list after family duties, work duties, and plans to move across the country, etc. My apologies for taking longer on this, but the stack of grading I have for my classes and other things I *have* to do on a daily basis has been taking up all of my time between the time I wake up and the time I fall I asleep. I got all your messages, but I am sorry that I will not be able to help until my time opens up a bit in a couple of weeks. It was always my intention to reply sooner, but I have had a breakneck semester of teaching, interviewing, and sleep deprivation due to twin babies under a year old. I promise I have not forgotten. If you require a quicker answer, email Andrew, our DNA coordinator at dna -at- clanlivingstone.com. He is also very busy but may have time to help. My apologies again for taking so long.

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA