DNA question

PUBLIC Forum for general discussion on the DNA Project. The DNA project includes both Highland and lowland Livingston/es as well as MacLeas and other related names. Please do NOT post private information to this Forum.
Helen&Rod

Re: DNA question

Post by Helen&Rod »

Hi Kyle
Thanks for your last email. I understand fully about sleep deprivation and babies etc as well as trying to live a normal every day life. I will wait for your reply to my questions if you don't mind ? I also hope you don't mind if I keep in touch now and again, not to be impatient, but as a reminder that I have not contacted Andrew and am waiting for your help.
Regards & Good luck with reaching normality (it will come).
Helen
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Absolutely. And thank you for your patience, Helen. My apologies again.

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Helen&Rod

Post by Helen&Rod »

Hi Kyle
I contacted some time ago with a question re our Livingstone connection. We came to an agreement that I would wait for your reply but maybe give you a reminder. I just wondered if you might have had a chance to look at the question for me. I look forward to you reply.
Regards
Helen James
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Helen,

Hope to have some time to fully address it this week! :)

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Helen&Rod

Post by Helen&Rod »

Thanks Kyle
Helen
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Okay, Helen. My apologies for taking so long.

I am moving in a couple of weeks now, and have finally wrapped up an incredibly busy spring and have settled enough personal and professional details for my new position that I am able to take a few other queries and deal with them. Sorry yours fell into this category, but thanks for understanding!

Now, to your question.

I have looked up Rod's results on FTDNA and have had a look.

In terms of the SNP results, they only tell you the ancient ancestry of the cluster and what other large group (haplogroup) of men your line belongs to.

In Rod's case, he is R-U152, which means he is in the R1b haplogroup, and subbranch within that R1b.

R1b is the overall haplogroup, representing the dominant lineage of European men. R1b is determined by whether you are positive for the SNP M343. All R1b men are M343+, everyone else is negative. Within R1b is a LOT of different branches. M269 defines the subgroup R1b1a2, so men with that SNP (positive for M269) would be called R-M269. Within the R-M269 men some are positive for sub-SNPs. One of those SNPs is P312. Rod is positive for P312 and also for a sub-SNP under P312, called U152.

Keep in mind that this is a Haplogroup PREDICTION, and it has not been actually tested by DNA sequencing. But it is likely correct.

You should probably have Rod join this haplogroup project:
https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1b-U152/

They will have more info on learning about the ancient ancestry of that cluster.

That being said, this designation (R-U152) tells us not too much about near-term ancestry (in genealogical time).

U152 can be learned about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup ... .2FS116.29

P312 is a huge branch of R1b, and seems to represent a group of men who settled west of the Rhine river.

As for its subbranch U152, I don't know much about it, but the admins of that project above would know a whole lot more. They may have some ideas about its more specific geographic area (other than 'west of the Rhine').

Now, to get down to brass tacks, let me answer your actual question!

STR markers are what was actually tested in the Y37 test (as opposed to the predicted SNP markers that are what we were talking about above). These represent MUCH MORE RECENT ancestry. Close matches on a high number of markers (35, 36, 37 out of 37) probably represent surnames for which Rod has some family relationship.

I see these surnames in his Y37 matches: Slee, Hailey, Haley, Ellis, Gholdston, Baggett. No Livingstons or Livingstones or any names that are known to be variants.

Now there aren't a huge number of matches but our database (well over 200 men at this point) probably represents most major extant Livingston/e lines.

I suspect that this indicates that it is not likely that Rod is a Livingston/e descendant, at least in the direct Y-chromosome line. He could certainly be in any other line, but the Y-chromosome from his father's father's father's father's father, etc., does not indicate a relationship.

Do you have any questions?

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA