SNP testing

PUBLIC Forum for general discussion on the DNA Project. The DNA project includes both Highland and lowland Livingston/es as well as MacLeas and other related names. Please do NOT post private information to this Forum.
mikkenie

Re: SNP testing

Post by mikkenie »

Dear Mr. Baron Livingstone,

Thank you for your reply. I think there is a way to prove a possible connection between these Contin MacLeay's and the Lismore MacLea's. SNP testing would certainly be the next step to take, I'm quite sure about that.

For me personally it's not really that important to make this connection, but it is interesting for sure. I'm just curious where my Scottish ancestors are from. And I would like to prove what my surname would have been. At this time it's just a guess that it could have been MacLeay. But maybe it's not MacLeay or MacLea, but a surname that's associated with a totally different clan.

Kind regards, Remko Mikkenie
mikkenie

Post by mikkenie »

Hi Donald,

Thank you for your reply! It's most interesting!

I think that what you are describing is mostly based on matching STR-markers. I believe that the way to prove definite relationships between and in-between these groups would be SNP testing. For instance, when we take a look at my STR-matches, my genetic distance of 7 matches at 111 markers are more distantly related to me, based on SNP testing, than some of my genetic distance of 10 matches.

I attached a graphic that will show where we are now based on SNP's. It's a family tree, chronologically from older to more recent mutations. These are the Livingstone's I could find that did some SNP testing. We definitely need more testers :-)

I'm curious whether you will succeed in getting more genealogical information from some of the testers! Thank you so much for all your effort!

maclea-snp-tree.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikkenie

Post by mikkenie »

Hi,

I received my BigY results from FTDNA. I'm now BY23073+ and BY23072-. I'm splitting up this block on the big tree http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?bl ... star=false . It looks like my DNA is originated in Argyll. I hope that some of you are going to test for Z16328, BY23073 and some of my private SNP's as well.