Which test?

PUBLIC Forum for general discussion on the DNA Project. The DNA project includes both Highland and lowland Livingston/es as well as MacLeas and other related names. Please do NOT post private information to this Forum.
RLivingstone

Which test?

Post by RLivingstone »

My son is going to do a Ydna test for me. The Big Y test is out of the question due to cost so which of the other ones, through FTDNA, should I choose? Is the Y-37 good enough to be able to find the Livingstone info I need?

EDITED TO ADD: There are no direct Livingstone men alive in my family nucleus. I only have distant Livingstone cousins in Canada. Would testing my son be of benefit? I have a 35-year-old brick wall to confirm with regards to my paternal great grandfather, who was a Livingstone. I cannot test because I'm a woman, in case that wasn't clear. :-)
RLivingstone

Re: Which test?

Post by RLivingstone »

Someone who has done test, please confirm for me the following information:

Choosing the Right Test Taker
Since the Y chromosome is only inherited by men, women cannot take a Y-DNA test- but they can still take advantage of Y-DNA testing to help break down their paternal-line brick walls! It is important to understand how the Y chromosome is inherited through your family tree in order to select a potential Y-DNA test taker.

Look for an unbroken father-to-son line to your target ancestor- if a line “daughtered out,” in other words, if a father had only daughters and no sons, then the Y chromosome inheritance stopped with that father.

The easiest way to determine a potential test-taker is to draw or print out a family tree for your target ancestor and highlight all men descending from that ancestor who would have inherited that man’s Y chromosome (GGP).

Sometimes to find an eligible test-taker, you may need to reach out to a distant cousin.

My Livingstone father only had 2 daughters...... so it seems that doing a Ydna test on my son would do no good, correct?
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

If your father had no sons and is no longer alive, you would need to find a male relative with the correct last name in a, as far as you know, unbroken line of males.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
RLivingstone

Post by RLivingstone »

Greg Livingston wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:34 pm If your father had no sons and is no longer alive, you would need to find a male relative with the correct last name in a, as far as you know, unbroken line of males.
Thank you for confirming what I found. Unfortunately, there are no "direct" cousins. The Ydna ended with my father.
A bit sad about it but will just keep researching.

Rene' Livingstone
Ozlivingstone

Post by Ozlivingstone »

Hi Rene

Just a thought. There may be some male Livingstones back in your history you don't know about. One way you could try to find one is through autosomal DNA which normally goes back to 4 generations. If you can find an autosomal Chapman match on say gedmatch they might be the male you are looking for. Worth trying