Updates are being made, plus I call for technical advice

PUBLIC Forum for general discussion on the DNA Project. The DNA project includes both Highland and lowland Livingston/es as well as MacLeas and other related names. Please do NOT post private information to this Forum.
Andrew Lancaster

Updates are being made, plus I call for technical advice

Post by Andrew Lancaster »

Hi everyone

It has been exciting that just as I got to work as promised (end August) the labs seem to have done the same, publishing some unexpected results.

Can I ask everyone to look at the public pages, which are "work in progress"?
http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Maclea ... %20R1b.htm
http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/MacLea ... 0Other.htm

I also want to post a remark about the webpages. They are getting messy. Eventually I'd like to create something more integrated on one page, and with collapsing elements to give information when needing, rather than needing to link to new pages. Things to keep in mind:
1. I broke things into multiple pages because not everyone has a new computer and broadband.
2. I personally am good at using excel and so I've tried to take advantage of that by making the tables in excel and exporting them to html.

To see some of the tables on their own see:
http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/R1a%20Livingstons.htm
http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/maclea%20R1b.htm

They are big and so if I just paste them into a document they can cause problems. A new idea I have is to make the basic webpage as a table and then insert information there as well, into rows where you have to press a button to read them. This however so far seems to require basically editing the whole spreadhseet in script form, which I want to avoid if possible.

The handy excel "grouping" or "outline" functions do not transfer to html.

Any ideas?

Best Regards
Andrew
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Updates are being made, plus I call for technical advice

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Andrew,

I think personally you are doing a terrific job organization the marker results for each of the particpants in a logical and understandable way. The fact that you have set up the results so that for the most part it makes some sense to those of us less scientific or computer orientated is an accomplishment in itself. I really could not tell you how to do your job any better than you are doing it now.

I am obviously encouraged by the latest livingston cluster that has manifested itself as the Parker Livingston Group and in particular the 67-3 result with a PEI Livingstone family also of Morvern origin. I have informed my Livingston cousin's family of the latest results.We can only wait and see if the Morvern / Mull trend becomes more apparent in future tests or as people already tested advance to the 67 marker test. Rob was right about this DNA stuff.

regards,

Donald

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Andrew,

Please note in your blurb on 130593 that 130593's ancestor Peter Livingstone a Port Appin Shoemaker by occupation was residing at Port Appin, Argyllshire as you mentioned but further research has revealed that Peter Livingston's parents originated from the Isle of Lismore. That might explain the close match to the Bachuil Livingstones given that the Bachuil Livingstones resided for centuries on the the Isle of Lismore. I am pretty certain that both Peter Livingstone's mother and father's families were living on Lismore prior to his birth and an older brother born a few years earlier was in fact born on the Island of Lismore not Appin. Your DNA test results of course help to back this notion of a Lismore origin for 130593's Livingston though his ancestor Peter Livingston resided all of his life in the Port Appin vicinity dying in the 1850's I think it was. In conclusion this family definitely has lismore roots.

regards,

Donald
Andrew Lancaster

Thanks Donald

My apologies for needing to ask something I know doubt should have read in various correspondence, but can you summarize the evidence for this link?

I guess what I want to know is whether to word this as a reasonable hypothesis or a proven paper trail.

Regards
Andrew
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Andrew

I would suggest that these results could very easily be input into a database (MySql) on this site. What I can do is give YOU the ability to add or change records.

Others could be given various degrees of access according to your groupings.

I would suggest that an ability to select the relevant markers and sort accordingly would be useful.

Hope this is useful.

Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Very interesting.... Andrew, I wonder if it would be helpful to ask around at on the ISOGG or other lists if others have done this for their DNA projects? If so, it's possible the structures already exist that would allow us to just input out data??

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Andrew,

As I recall from an earlier forum postings that it was found out from Peter Livingston's death record that his parents were Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNichol. While Peter was baptised on Port Appin in the 1796 or 1797 and was a Port Appin Shoemaker his parents Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNichol a few years earlier baptised an older brother of Peter's on the Island of Lismore. I also found that Peter was buried by an Angus McNichol of Port Appin whose McNichols came from Lismore according to a Appin cemetery info. So while I guess you could say there is a paper trail and bit of speculation involved in my concluding that Peter's parent's were from the Island of Lismore. It was Peter Livingstone's son Angus that settled in Ontario, Canada and is Michael Livingstone and Virginia Adam's ancestor. See the old forum postings for more info.

regards,

Donald
Andrew Lancaster

Bachuil wrote:Andrew

I would suggest that these results could very easily be input into a database (MySql) on this site. What I can do is give YOU the ability to add or change records.

Others could be given various degrees of access according to your groupings.

I would suggest that an ability to select the relevant markers and sort accordingly would be useful.

Hope this is useful.

Niall
This is not the first time someone suggested that I need to upgrade my thinking to SQL, and I guess that eventually something like this will happen. I am kind of trying to avoid it for now. Our database is not so enormous, so this is more of a formatting problem. How to get enough html in so that we can have collapsing information. The problem is that the more I want of "ease of manipulation" the less easy it is to have good presentation.

On the E-M35 project where we have >1000 people we do use SQL (I don't manage it) and I know it gives a lot of problems because the testing companies do not give information in a very convenient form. It always requires playing with it first.

Best Regards
Andrew
Andrew Lancaster

Kyle MacLea wrote:Very interesting.... Andrew, I wonder if it would be helpful to ask around at on the ISOGG or other lists if others have done this for their DNA projects? If so, it's possible the structures already exist that would allow us to just input out data??

Kyle=
Hi Kyle

I do ask around, but please feel free to do so also. Victor Villareal who looks after the E-M35 project database is someone who has done a great job, and he made a similar suggestion to Niall, going to SQL. On the other hand I know he has problems handling many of the things we try to do, for example making sure we show the advanced markers.

Best Regards
Andrew