John Hugh Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
sandylivingston

Re: John Hugh Livingston

Post by sandylivingston »

and both with sons John and Alexander ?
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Sandy,
Well if we go by the original scenario the only info was that the Mull River family of John Livingston Sr. and Catharine or Mary Campbell who settled around 1824 at Mull River from Mull Scotland had sons John Jr. born abt. 1800, Neil and a son Allan who died in infancy. This is mentioned as far back as the time of the publication of the History of Inverness County, Cape Breton which is an old book. So this notion goes back sometime ago.

There was on the other hand no information regarding the origins of the neighbouring Whycocomagh family. Dr. St. Clair however had a lot of information on Alexander Livingston b 1814 Scotland of Whycocomagh, Skye Mt. but appart from information on that 1821 Mull document they had was not certain who Alexander's parents were and had no information that the Mull River Livingstons and Whycocomagh Llivingtons were the same family as I am wondering. So Alexander or Colin of Whycocomagh are mentioned in the original Mull River Livingston family mention the early history of Inverness County just that the Mull River family consisted of John and Catharine or Mary with sons John Jr, Neil and Allen.

For reasons mentioned in my earlier postings on this forum, I cant help wondering if the information that the Whycocomagh Livingston family had from Mull Scotland circa 1821 regarding the family of a John Livingston and Catharine Livingston of Kilniinian Parish, Mull refers to both the Whycocomagh and Mull River Livingstons. Anotherwards there was just One Livingston family that settled in Mull River in 1824 and that two of the sons Alexander b.1814 and Colin b.1818 later settled in neighbouring Whycocomagh. As I mentioned earlier I guess the first step in the process of proving whether or not Alexander, Colin of Whycocomagh and John of Mull River are family is to see what results we get from the dna test done on Colin's descendant and whether it turns out to be a match with the descendant of ALexander of Whycocomagh who is in the Maclea Livingstone DNA Project. Those results should be known soon.

regards,

Donald
sandylivingston

i intend on doing the DNA thing too. I'm certain John Jr ( whoever he is lol ) and Old Kate were my great great grandparents. Their son Duncan who married Mary MacDonald, daughter of Alexander ( the Bard ) son of Alan ( Mor) MacDonald and Mary Mac Lean, daughter of Duncan Ban Mac Lean my great grand parents ( Duncan and Mary )
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

We would love to have your family in the DNA Project. It's had amazing success and we're ~250 men now in the Project.

If you have a male Livingston in your family line that is willing to test, it's a simple cheek swab and you can be off and going here:

http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join ... Livingston

I'm happy to answer questions about the Project and we can help with any logistics, just let us know!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
sandylivingston

i'm a male, it gets confusing in print, John Alexander ( Sandy ) Livingston
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi All

I love it when things start coming together. If all three families are proved through DNA testing to be related, I can see a massive family reunion looming someday in the future in Cape Breton. Our DNA family testing, I believe is just about complete, but so far it is not posted yet so I can't see the results.

Barry
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

sandylivingston wrote:i'm a male, it gets confusing in print, John Alexander ( Sandy ) Livingston
I was actually making no assumption that YOU weren't the male that was needed, just that you needed one. That way, if you were that male, even better! :)

So, you're all set to join the Project! We'd certainly love to have you.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Sandy, Barry and Kyle,

There are a number of clues as I have mentioned in this forum in the past and in the present regarding the possible family connection of John Jr. of Mull River, Alexander of Whycocomagh and Colin Livingston of Whycocomagh and subsequently PEI. Colin's PEI obituary from 1867 clearly states that he originally residing in Whycocomagh. Given that we know from research that seems to have been only one Livingston in Whycocomagh family that of ALexander ever residiig in Whycocomagh in the 19th century I felt it quite probably that Colin known to be born abt. 1818 was very likely that Barry's ancestor Colin Livingston was the brother of Alexander Livingston b. 1814 farmer of Skye Mountain Whycocomagh. And now with Barry's Livingston cousin having been tested and the fact that we already a descendant of Alexander Livingston of Whycocomagh tested our first question regarding these Inverness County, Cape Breton Livingstons will be shortly answered. And yes the next step from there would be to see if there is a dna match with a descendant of John Livingston Jr. of mull River. Hopefully after this we will be a much better position to resolve the question of whether the Mull RIver and neighbouring WHycocomagh, Inverness COunty, Cape Breton were infact one family as I have been wondering since Barry and I collaborated on this Cape Breton Livingston family research. We are indeed very fortunate that descendants of Alex, Colin and JOhn have contacted Clan Maclea Livingstone.

I knew Sandy was a guy. Sorry if I did not make that clear. My fault. I guess you probably get that alot Sandy. We most definitely look forward to your participation in the project. We may yet sort out this Cape Breton Livingston mystery.

regards,

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Hi All

I have been pondering over the dilemma where it looks like Alexander and Colin were not brothers. Now I know there is a mystery Allan, brother of John Jr., in the mix and it has been suspected that he died at child birth. Now here is my hypothesis. I had looked at the microfilm for the 1861 census for Inverness county and it looked like there was an Allan Livingston. Now we all know how Daniel and Donald are confused and used interchangably because of the Scottish pronunciation. What about the same for Colin too? I suspect with a very thick Scottish accent this would come out as Callan, and I bet the C might be fairly silient. The census taker just misinterpreted the pronunciation. In the 1861 census, Allan Livingston is listed as having the same family numbers as Colin Livingston and in the 1871 census there is no more mention of an Allan Livingston. Colin left Cape Breton according to his PEI land documents in 1865. It has to be him because with a family of 5 children, there is no family in the 1861 census that this family could fit into, even if they were living under the roof of another head of household. Here is a transcription of the census for 1861..... www.dwaynemeisner.com. I think the results of the DNA testing from Sandy is going to be very interesting and I think it will prove this theory, or disprove it. I am betting on a close relationship and Allan Livingston, the brother Dr. St. Clair guessed had died is actually Colin. This is going to reinforce the theory that there actually were two John and Catherine families and Alexander was likely a cousin, rather than a brother of Colin. I think the records are still mixed up though and the DNA testing I believe will help sort this all out.

Barry
Livingstone_PEI

IMG_1700.JPG
HI Donald

I think it is possible there was an Allan/Colin Livingston in the 1861 Inverness census. The Beaton Institute and the webpage transcription in my last post both recognized it as Colin for one and Allan for the other. I think it looks more like an Allan than a Colin. If you look above the suspected Colin/Allan you will see an Angus. The "A" in the Angus looks exactly the same as what looks like "A" in Allan. If this is an Allan he disappeared after the 1861 census with his entire family. Even if it isn't Allan, it has been transcribed by the Beaton Institute as Collin. I think it looks more like Allan to me. Whichever it is it is still a mystery and we will likely never know the truth here. He would be a perfect fit for Colin who moved to PEI with his wife and 5 children in 1865. According to his land records he was leased the property on PEI in 1865. On the same note, if you look above at the "C" in Catherine, it doesn't look anything like the Allan/Collin first letter. The 1861 census is so poor to read we can't be sure. Just saying that everyone lost track of Allan and they also lost track of my Colin too. It might be a coincidence, but I think they are the same, but I likely will never be able to prove it. The DNA results should help. I would love to hear more about this theory of a John, Neil and Allan.

PS: The images I attached are best saved to your computer and viewed in an image viewer. These are very large images and I tried to save as much detail as possible.

Barry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.