Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mull

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mul

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

I see a Cornhaddock just south of the Whin Quarry clearly marked on the map with trees. See a little south west of Cornhaddock there is South Overton. I went through your Livingston ancestral line a few years ago when I was trying figure out how you and Keith connect with old Angus Livingston. I hope I saved it somewhere. I do try and save much of the Livingston research and the one Mac Air is bursting to the seams with Livingston files with many information on many of the Livingston families that have been researched over the years. I try to save as much as I can. What I don't have on file is probably on the Forum. I remember quite well going through your Livington ancestry generation by generation and that your Livingstons moved around quite a bit over the centuries from their earliest known origin point of Shiaba, Ross of Mull.

Found a Margaret Livingston at Ardtun circa 1846 where paupers and displaced tenants ended up in Kilfinichen Parish and other Livngstons in the Poor Law records for that parish of Ross of Mull. I guess that is not your Margaret Livington but the time is about right. I was thinking that some Colonsay Livingstons might end up at Ardtun nearby Ross of Mull during the 1846 famine period. Anyways no way of knowing if that was your Margaret Livingston wife of Angus. Probably not. Sadly I did find Livingtons mentioned in a Colonsay poor appeals records.

https://www.oldscottish.com/kilfinichen ... oorAppeals

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Alexander Livingstone, cousin of my g/g grandfather, John.

Christened ; 31 May 1812 K&K.

D. 1886 Grey County, Ont., buried Rocky Saugeen Cemetery.

F. Donald, son of Neil Livingstone & Christina Boyd.

B. abt. 1777 Shiaba, K&K.

D. 27 Sept. 1866 Ardtun, K&K, age 88 yrs.

M. Christina Campbell.

B. abt.1779 K&K.

D. 14 Sept.1861 Ardtun, K&K, age 82 yrs.

Hi Donald,

Just came across Alexander, it would appear my family had a connection with Ardtun after all, a large part of this family moved to Canada.

Will sort out Alexanders family tomorrow,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

HI John,

Used to be in touch with a lady in Ontario who did a well researched and detailed family history booklet on Donald Livingston and Christian Campbell and their children that went to Canada that you mentioned and we are now pretty certain are related to your Livingstons also from that Shiaba family group. She had been researching this family for years, I think in the days before the internet. She did a great job on it. I mentioned Angus Livingston being a brother Donald Livingston and the 1779 record of them with father Niall at Shiaba croft but I got the impression that she was looking for more detailed proof of an connection and was not completely convinced at that point in time. I also asked if there any Livingstons interested in familytreedna project, but apparently there were none.

Have you ever been on a visit to Shiaba. Sounds like some of the old crofts are still there or at least their ruins. Looks like a pretty interesting place.

Ardtun. That is interesting so perhaps that is your Margaret Livingston in 1846. I was thinking though that by then she was either deceased or had gone with her husband to the lowlands to live with family there.

I should check and see how many others are more recently researching this Donald and Christie's family. No doubt they would interested in the research you have done over the years on Angus Livingston and family. Some of them may not even be aware that Donald had a brother Angus or about their parents at Shiaba.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I assume the book you refer to, is by Dawn Livingstone, do you by any chance remember the name of it, if I can get the name, I'll check with the Mitchell Library, Glasgow.

I have a vague memory of Dawn posting somewhere, quite a few years ago, that this library had copy of her book.

I still tend to think Margaret is buried around Kilmeny, probably Ballygrant or Caol Ila/Port Askaig, or possibly Paisley.

As we know, she was in Colonsay in 1841 census, I don't see her going back to Mull, I'm mainly basing this on the fact, the 1841 census lists her as not being born in Argyll,

probably another one that will never be solved.

I put photos of the remains of cottages at Shiaba on the site a few years ago,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

This is the original book that Dawn published back in 1995 on the Grey County Livingstones,

http://vitacollections.ca/ogscollections/2727755/data

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

1654 Bleau's Atlas of Scotland includes a map of Mull including Ross of Mull with Shaback (Shiaba) and what looks like a church marked on the map and other familiar nearby locations at Ross of Mull such as Ardtoun (Ardtun). Around 1847 the Duke of Argyll removed some impoverished tenants from Shiaba to other locations including Ardtun.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... f_Mull.jpg

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Some more info from Mull Families on the subject of James & Duncan Livingstone,

1. James appears to have had a previous relationship with a Mary McLean, b. / chr. 21 Jan 1810, they had a son John b. 29 Sept 1836 at Kilninian & Kilmore,
John appears In 1851 census, living with his McLean g/parents.
James next appears at Colonsay where, we know, he marries & heads for Canada..

2. Duncan, b 1814, m. Christine McLean bef 1837, son Duncan b. 16 Feb 1837, Shiaba, if I remember correctly, a few years ago, it was reported that Duncan & family went to Australia, Mt Gambier (Sp?) I think,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

That is interesting but I wonder how can we prove that the James Livingston who had a son in Kilninian Parish to Mary McLean is the same James Livingston that shows up in Colonsay in the 1841, 1842 and 1843 according to the 1841 census, the Colonsay marriage and baptism records?

I agree though he must have been somewhere before the 1841 Census and I agree possibly in Mull. I think whether the James that lived with Angus is his son or not is a legitimate guestion but we know that this Colonsay James Livingston at Arisaig whoever his father may have been definitely disappears from Colonsay sometime between 1841 and 1851. This does fit with the James Livingston who married Mary McMillan in Colonsay in 1842, had a daughter Ann born 1843 and family info in Canada the rest of James story from Canada is that he and wife Mary McMillan left Colonsay shortly after the birth of the eldest child Anne in 1843 settling in Eldon Township, Victoria County, Ontario. If James is not the son of Angus then I think he might of been a James Livingston who lived elsewhere in Mull possibly Kilninian Parish.

Can you let me know John if you have any new (2018) Livingston matches at 67 that are most recently in the last few weeks?

And a Merry Christmas to you.
regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

Nothing new since July.

Parents of Mary McMillan - lsted as Duncan Livingstone & isabella Currie,

John