Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mull

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Angus Livingstone& Margaret (Hall/McPhail), Shiaba, Mul

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,
The "Creich" where some Livingstons and McArthurs at one time resided in the 1800's. I am pretty certain was located at Ross of Mull. Iona is not far away where Duncan Livingston b. 1786 and Peter McArthur lived as is Colonsay where Angus Livingston ended up probably beginning sometime in the 1830's. Likewise this Duncan Livingston born about 1786 Ross of Mull?- died before 1851 in Kentra, Iona left Ross of Mull for Iona with his wife Margaret and family possibly in the 1830's. I forget what the last baptism date was for Duncan and Margaret's children from the old parish records from Ross of Mull I looked at. I just recall some of their children were born or baptised at Creich in Southern Mull. I then remembered at the time that Angus Livingston's brother according to baptismal records had also been at Creich in the early 1800's. MOst interesting of course in looking at the baptism records for Angus and Donald Livingston's children was that suggests that both had a child or more baptised or born while residing in the early 1800's at Shiaba. One more clue that Angus and Donald truly were the sons of Neil Livingston of Shiaba. And of course we have Donald Livingston's death information which records his father as having been a Neil Livingston and his mother Christina Boyd.

At one time I located a detailed map of Ross of Mull which included I think Shiaba and Creich and other locations where crofters lived at Ross of Mull, but I not sure where I found it. Don't recall how they spelt "Shiaba" on the map I was looking at. There are definitely a few variations.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Was Gavin Livingstone/Livingston born 1896 in Glasgow your father and Andrew M. Livingston Jr. born 1866 or 1867 Stirling, Stirlingshire your grandfather?

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

No doubt you have found all of this already but thought it interesting to take a look at it to see all the clues to your Livingston family origins.

This is the census info I had for Andrew M. Livingston of Glasgow circa 1901

1901 census Glasgow St. Lukes Parish
Andrew M. Livingston age 34 born Stirling, Stirlingshire Lodging home manager
J. Carrie Livingston age 31 born Bellshill, Lanarkshire
Gavin Livingston age 5 born Glasgow
Jeanie R. Livingston age 3 born Glasgow

1891 Census Glasgow Barony Calton District
Patrick Lewis age 52 born Ireland Shoemaker
Andrew Livingston age 24 born Stirling, Stirlingshire Lodging home superintendent
the census info lists several boarders (inmates) with shoemaker Patrick Lewis and I think wrongly lists Andrew Livingston as a son of Patrick Lewis

1881 Census Alva Stirlingshire
Hugh Livingston age 42 born Oban,( Arygllshire ) (1891 Census also lists Hugh as being born in Oban)
Margaret Livingston age 54 born Stirling, Stirlingshire Wife (I think from another census I saw that Margaret may be Margaret Stewart)
James Stewart Livingston age 16 born Alva, Stirlingshire Son
Alexander Stewart Livingston age 10 born Alva Stirlingshire Son
Andrew Livingston age born Stirling, Stirlingshire age 14 Boarder

Are Hugh and Margaret Livingston relatives that you know of?

BIrth information for Andrew Mitchell Livingston
Andrew Mitchell Livingston born July 17, 1866 Stirling, Stirlingshire Parents: Gavin Livingston Spirits dealer and Catharine McLean
Marriage info included with birth info: Gavin Livingston and Catharine McLean married December 29, 1857 Campbelltown (Argyll)

1857 Marriage information for Gavin Livingston and Catharine Mclean
Gavin Livingston age 22 farm servant resident of Foachay? Parish of Southend Parents: John Livingston weaver and Agnes Edmonston. Gavin Livingston married December 29,1857 in Campbelltown District, Argyll Catharine McLean age 20 farm servant residing in Peninver? Parish of Campbelltown Parents: Neil Mclean Shoemaker and Margaret Stewart Free Church of Scotland Marriage officially registered on 30th December 1857

1905 Death Record Gavin Livingston Dunoon District, Argyll
Gavin Livingstone Hotel Keeper age 68 husband of Catharine Mclean died March 3, 1905 in Dunoon District, Argyll Death registered March 4, 1905 Parents: James Livingstone? and Agnes Edmiston As son Neil was likely the source of the information there would be more a chance he got the information on Gavin's father wrong than Gavin would have in his 1857 marriage record I would suspect. So I suspect that the information that Gavin's parents were John Livingston and Agnes Edmonston is more likely to be accurate.

Info pertaining to your family line

1858 death record John Livingstone Tirvagan, Kilmeny Parish, Isle of Islay, Argyllshire
John Livingstone Woolen and Cotton Weaver died July 6, 1858 Tirvagan, Kilmeny Parish, Isle of Islay, Argyllshire Parents: Angus Livingstone Chelsea Pensioner and Margaret McPhail Registered July 10, 1858 Burial: Burial Ground of Kilmeny (Name of John's wife not included)

1871 Marriage Record Parish of Kimeny, Isle of Islay, Argyll John Livingstone
John Livingstone age 35 Torabuss?, Kilmeny Parish married Mary McKellar of Balichay? Kilmeny Parish on January 26, 1871 at Port Askaig, Kilmeny Parish Registered January 28, 1871 at Port Askaig Parents: John Livingstone Weaver and Agnes Edmiston, Neil Mckellar laborer and Barbara Clark

1915 death Record John Livingston Kilmeny, Isle of Islay, Argyll
John Livingston Distillery Fireman retired died April 27, 1915 at Caol Illa Kilmeny, Argyll age 82 yrs. Wife: Mary McKellar Parents: John Livingston and Agnes Edmonston (This reinforces the notion that the family name may have been Edmonston)

1896 Marriage Record John Livingston and Margaret McGillveray Greenock, Renfrewshire
John Livingston age 24 Shipwright Apprentice of 69 Roxburgh Street, Greenock married Maggie McGillveray Connodduff Farm ? , Greenock on March 6, 1896 Connodduff farm, Greenock Registered March 9, 1896 Greenock Parents: John Livingston and Mary McKellar, Donald McGillveray and Margaret Mitchell

1902 Birth Record Donald Livingstone East District, Greenock, Renfrewshire
Donald Livingstone born September 18, 1902 11 Regent Street Greenock, Renfrewshire Parents: John Livingstone Shipwright and Margaret McGillveray Married March 6, 1896 Greenock West

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

My side of the family is as follows;

1. John L & Agnes Edmiston, g/g/grandparents (Mull/West Lothian/Colonsay/Islay).

2. John L & Mary McKellar, g/grandparents (West Lothian/Colonsay/Islay).

3. John L & Margaret McGillivray, grandparents (Islay/Greenock).

4. Donald L, b 1902 & Charlotte Martin, parents (Greenock).

As far as I know, Donald, my father, was the first one in the family, not to speak Gaelic.

John.
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

I found the original 1891 census on Scotlands People, the address was 63, Bain St., Calton, Glasgow, Andrews wife is shown as Jeanie, her own name was Jeannie Ritchie Hendry, I also have a marriage certificate.

So far I've found 3 x Andrew Mitchell Livingstones, I'm almost certain there is a 4th. one somewhere around, I'll get back to this in the morning,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Interestingly there were both Edmiston and Edmonston families residing in West Lothian in the late 1700's and early 1800's.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
I have just updated the research info I was taking a look at from census, birth, marriage and death records pertaining to your family line. See my previous post with the info in the long earlier post done yesterday. You were lucky that there was so much info there in the records to piece together you ancestral line right to old Angus Livingston the Chelsea Pensioner of the Napoleonic Wars and Margaret McPhail (Hall). There is clear paper trail in the Scottish records that I think proves without doubt your ancestral connection to Angus Livingston the Chelsea Pensioner of Ross of Mull who later lived in Colonsay apparently in the 1830's and early 1840's.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
It makes sense that your ancestor John Livingstone (1805-1858) the weaver would be buried in the old burial ground of the old Chapel at Kilmeny. Tirvagan or Tiervaagain according an ordnance survey map where John died in 1858 is just a very short distance directly south of the graveyard. Although the ruins of the Kilmeny Parish chapel are quite old the old graveyard continued to be used in the 1800's I would assume by local folks. I have no doubt that is where he is buried, but I guess there is not much chance that there still remains a gravestone. Never the less it was helpful to your family research that his 1858 death record stated where he was buried. Most of 19th century death records in the 1860's or thereafter generally dont. Some of them in the 1850's however I have found in Argyllshire do for reasons not known.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Just had a look at my grandparents marriage cert., g/mothers residence should read Cornhaddock Farm.

1891 census, had a look at the original on Scotlands People, it only has Patrick Lewis & 3 x daughters, have informed Ancestry of the problem

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
I did not list the family of Patrick Lewis the Shoemaker from Ireland but there were a few for sure in addition to long list of other residents "inmates" boaders ?including Andrew Livingston listed in the census as a son. I located the census in ancestry.co.uk. He is not a relative apparently just someone who Andrew and several other men were boarding at his residence I assumed. Looks like some kinda boarding house arrangement where Andrew Livingston was located at the time of that census. Sorry at the time I mistakenly thought you were defended from Gavin and his son Andrew. In any event it was worthwhile looking at Gavin Livingston's marriage and death record which recorded his father and mother's name. It is pretty clear his father and mother were also John Livingston weaver and Agnes Edmonston or Edmiston.

regards,

Donald