Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Jewel

Re: Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Post by Jewel »

Hi Maryanne,

In the 1880 census for Suffolk County, Boston, Mass.
(States in the 1880 census that Katie's mother was born Prince Edward Island and father born England.)
Thomas Monk age 31 b. Mass.
Katie age 32 b. Nova Scotia
Mabel age 2, b. Mass
Florence age 1, Mass.

1900 Suffolk County, city of Boston Mass.
Kate Monk b. May 1850 Canada widow
Florence b. April, 1879 Mass
Mable b. Oct. 1877 Mass
both Florence and Mable are working in a Chocolate Mill

Kate immigrated 1870

Kate Monk, widow , age 69 b. canada Naturalized in the year 1878
Mabel L. age 40 working in Chocolate Mill b. Mass
Living on 2231 Dorchester Ave. Dorchester, Suffolk County, Mass.

L Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Maryann,

Jewel has this amazing knack at finding records as you have discovered.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hello Roberta,

Do you remember the baptismal records for the family of a John Livingston and Catharine Campbell from Penmore, Mull. I thought it was in Kilninian and Kilmore Parish. I think they are somewhere in the old forum postings. You wouldnt happen to still have that info or remember where it was. I cant seem to find though I have seen the the list. ANy help on that would be appreciated. It was a large family baptised in the early 1800's

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Maryanne,

I'm blushing, here is somethng else taken from the " Boston Daily Globe"

Thomas H. Monk
Death: December 18,1893, age 44 years and 4 months, Funeral December 20, at 2:00, Dorchester Methodist Church, Dotchester Lower Mills.

Unfortunately the Boston Daily Globe didn't have any death record for Kate. but I bet if you get the telephone # of this church and give them Thomas Monks death and burial date, that Kate is buried with him, if she died in Boston. I call cemeteries all of the time and they are very helpful usually and will tell you who else is buried with Thomas. These older death notices don't give much information about family members of the dead.

How am I connected to the name Livingstone? My GGGG grandfather was John Livingstone who arrived on P.E.I. in 1806 and went to Cape Breton County, he lived inthe Low Point, Nova Scotia area.

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

While gathering Maryannes Kate ( Livingston) Monk in Mass. I came across some things of interest, I don't know to who, but anyways.

1920 census Somerville City county of Middlesex, Mass.
Ewen Livingston age 64 b. P.E.I.
Catherine wife, age 62 b. P.E.I.
Annie daughter, age 20 b. P.E.I.

The above family immigrated in the year 1899.

1920 census for Essex County Lynn Mass.

hard to read this ladies first name but:

Scott ,Agnes or Aggie? widow age 46, b. canada
George L. 15 b. mass
Jane L. 13 b. Mass
Duncan L. 11 b. Mass
Jessie L. 6 b. Mass
Livingston, Catherine (sister) single age 44 b. Canada

The family above imm. 1899.

Ok, that's it for me.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,

John Livingston and Catharine Campbell were married December 31,1805 in Kilninian and Kilmore Parish
From the Baptismal records 8 children from 1806 to end of 1820 (why no children after 1820? did they emigrate?)
Mary 17 Nov 1806
John 27 Nov. 1808
Janet 3 Sep 1810
Donald 8 Nov 1812
Alexander 30 June 1814
Catharine 21 Aug. 1816
Colin 1 sep. 1818
Christina 26 Dec. 1820

Now that could of been a coincidence but then Dr. St. Clair told me that there was an old record from Mull mentioning a John livingston and Catherine Campbell of Kilninian and Kilmore Parish who were leaving Mull in the year 1821 for Nova Scotia a year after the last child was baptised according to the Kilninian and Kilmore Parish records. Furthermore an original copy of this record had been in the possession of the family of Alexander and Annie Livingston of Skye Mountain, Whycocomagh. Whycocomagh is nearby to Mull River or Mabou and it is my suspicion that Alexander Livington b.1814 was infact a son of John Livingston and Catharine Campbell though no one else is saying this and it has not been proven. It is known that John Livingston Sr. and Catharine Campbell settled with other mull Scotland settler by 1824 in Inverness County, Cape Breton and the settlement became known as Mull River because there were some families from Mull.

This is the Mull record that Dr. St. Clair located in the possession of ALexander Livingston of Whycocomagh's family:

"That the bearer hereof John Livingstone and Catharine Campbell his wife our natives of the United Parish of Kilninian and Kilmore in the Island of Mull, County of Argyll in which they have lived since Infancy; that so far as I had access to know they have hitherto maintained an honest and industrious character free of scandal , or any ground of church censure, are members and communicants of the Church of Scotland and may be received into any Christian society whre providence shall order their future lot is this 26th day of April 1821 by
Donald McArthur Minister of Kilninian
Hugh Maclean J.P

There is also information on payment of their passage on the Adventure bound for Pictou (Nova Scotia) and list of the family indicating their are 9 in total dated
Tobermory June 22, 1821
(Tobermory was the main port at Mull)

Based upon the baptisms the Penmore family had 8 children and two adults for a total of ten but it quite conceivable that John and Catharine only had 7 children by the time they left for Nova Scotia. While the family tradition according to Dr. St. Clair is that the family went to PEI first whether that is correct or not does not infalidate any of this family information I dont think. It is also possible that there was some confusion in the family story regarding PEI since old Kate and her sister Annie both married to Mull RIveréWHycocomagh Livingstons were said to be descended from PEI pioneers Donald and Mary Livingston of Lot 65 PEI who settled there in 1806.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,

There was also a Charles Campbell married to a Catharine Livingston and living at Penmore, Kilninian and kilmore Parish Mull around the same time in the early 1800's as John Livingston and Catharine Campbell resided there according to the baptismal records of the Parish.
regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Good morning Donald;

Kilninian & Kilmore

John Livingston and Catherine Campbell

Children

Grace b. Penalanach Parish 15 Dec. 1811
Donald b. Aird 8 Nov. 1812
Duncan b. Aird 14 Nov. 1813
Hugh b. Kilmory 21 Aug. 1814 endth

There is also John Livingston and Katherine Campbell - Morvern

Ann b. Killundine Parish Nov. 8, 1805 endth

Of interest

John Livingston and Mary Campbell - Kilmore & Kilbride

Donald b. Lerags 24 Nov. 1799
John b. not noted Jan. 21, 1810

Regards

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Thanks for that. It is exciting to think that someday we may be able to find descendants out there for more of these families on Mull and once again unite folks with their ancestors as we have helped to do.

At one time there were several Livingston families in Mull before they left for Canada and elsewhere. Funny thing is there is an Angus Livington b. 1773 who also lived at Penmore in the early 1800's and had two sons Alexander and Archibald with baptismal dates very close to the birth dates of the Cape Breton pioneer Angus Livingston of Boularderie, Cape Breton but the wife listed in the baptism does not match the records at Boularderie, Bras d-or Cape Breton Livingstons. Also the Boularderie ANgus had a son Roderick and possibly a son Laughlin. His sons Alexander Archibald and Roderick I have birth and death infomaton on. But the interesting thing is if he not in the Kilninian and Kilmore Parish baptismal book with his family he should be as he named his property at Boularderie, Bras'dor Cape Breton "kilninian" almost certainly indicating Angus came from that Parish in Mull and should theoretically have been in that parish book. They show up as Presbyterians in the later census records. It would be interesting if Angus of Boularderie and John Livingston Sr. of Mull River turned out to kin and certainly within the Rhelm of possibility. And even if we cant prove it with the records which i suspect we cant once we get a documented Livingston descedant from each family to do the 67 marker dna test bingo we will find out whether they had any distant or more recent Maclea Livingston family connection.

regards,

Donald

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Mary Ann,

Duncan was likely born in 1841 or 1842 and since he is 31 in the 1874 marriage record but likely 32 in 1874 then I would say b.1842 or as in the case of the 1871 Census b.1841. I do not see anyone in the Canadian Census of 1881 for any of the provinces b. 1841 or 1842 named Duncan Livingstone.

regards,

Donald