Land Purchases from Lord Selkirk circa 1806 in PEI

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Land Purchases from Lord Selkirk circa 1806 in PEI

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Regarding our earlier discussion on Donald Livingston Jr. receiving a land grant in Lot 31, Queens County, PEi from Lord Selkirk here is a little more. Donald Livingston, John Livingston, James McLean, Duncan McLean and Archibald McLean are listed together in 1806 as receiving 100 acres for 55.11.1 each from Lord Selkirk. I am nto certain that both Livingston brothers retained this grant of land. Only Donald Jr. on lot 31 I have been able to determine remained on that Lot 31 Selkirk Grant. John seems to go back to a lot beside his father.s Donald seniors property at Nine Mile Creek, Lot 65. Eventually I will sort this out. These Livingstons and Mcleans by the way were all recent arrivals aboard the "Rambler" and they are also significantly listed on the 1806 "Rambler" passenger list i noticed. This Donald Livingston is Donald Livingston Jr. and his brother John who was also a passenger with these McLeans listed with this group of settlers in this Selkirk land transaction. The Rambler left Tobermory in May of 1806 with Livingstons, McLeans, McInnis and others for PEI. Donald Livingston Jr. received land at Lot 31 and his father and mother Donald and Mary Livingston were located in a neighbouring Lot 65 also known as New Argyll in 1806. Their homestead was at Nine Mile Creek. Lot 65. Donald and Mary's son who accompanied them to PEI from Mull were Duncan, John, Donald and Alexander the youngest son. Unlike his brothers, Alexander was single when he arrived in PEI. Alexander b.1790 was married to Maria Ladner in Charlottetown in 1818 and they later moved with their family to Prince County, PEI where their family, pointed out to me recently is buried in a presbyterian cemetery there. More details on Alexander and Maria's family later.

The father Donald Livington born 1750/1751 is said to have "leased" land from Lord Selkirk at Lot 65 IN 1806 but I can find pei information on Lord Selkirk purchasing any part of Lot 65 in the 1803 -1806 period when he purchased land in QUeens County, PEI. These are one of things that Barry may be able sort out with land record experts in PEI.

Interestingly a large contingent of Northern Mull Mcleans were encouraged by Lord Selkirk and his agents to settle at his later Red River Colony in British North Americas several years later in 1812. One Alexander McLean was offered a large parcel of land at the Red River settlement as an inducement.

regards,

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Re: Land Purchases from Lord Selkirk circa 1806 in PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Interestingly I have walked the New Argyll cemetery and did not find any Livingstons there. I traveled along the shore and stopped at the Canoe Cove Cemetery as well and discovered Livingstons there.
It is of interest that the early pioneers don't seem to be buried in any of the cemeteries I have looked at. It seems there must be other burial sites before the establishment of the existing pioneer cemeteries on PEI.

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Land Purchases from Lord Selkirk circa 1806 in PEI

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,
You would have to ask the local historians about graves of the original pioneers, but I would think it not uncommon in PEI as in Ontario that the old pioneer grave sites were marked with a simple field stone or some other marker that has simply disappeared and been forgotten. I am hardpressed to discover the resting place of any of my pioneer ancestors who were born before 1800 except one or two who lived well into the 1800's. And those who died before before Confederation (1867) there is for most part no trace in terms of a cemetery stone in Canada. I imagine that Donald Livingston who died around 1840 may have been buried at the Canoe Cove Cemetery but that the marker stone simply in time disappeared.

regards,

Donald