Trevor Livingston of Australia Scottish ancestors

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Trevor Livingston of Australia Scottish ancestors

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

I recently uncovered an message from the late Rob Livingston and posted on the old Maclea Livingstone forum dated way back in May 13, 2005 regarding Trevor Livingston of Australia and his ancestor Donald Livingston b.abt. 1804 . Rob mentions that all Trevor really knew at the time regarding the Scottish information was that his ancestor Donald Livingston was born in Argyll and married Agnes Haddow, May 22, 1825 in Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland. He also notes that Donald Livingston's death in Australia is noted in a May 23, 1877 death notice in the South Australian Advertiser. There is at this time claims made as to a believed family link to Doctor Livingston. I cannot shed light on that but I do have some additional information on Donald and Agnes Livingstons family in Scotland before they for Australia whenever precisely that was. I have recently located Donald, Agnes and their family in the 1841 and 1851 Scottish census I assume prior to their departure to Australia. Hopefully someday Trevor will see this if he has not already. Most importantly the 1851 Scottish census provides us with information that Trevor's ancestor was born about 1804, 1806 sometime around there in Kildalton Parish, Isle of Islay but unfortunately the baptism records are not showing a Donald Livingson baptised around this time in Kildalton Parish. I would presume that the information in the 1851 Census is accurate however and perhaps his baptism was not recorded as is possible. Now as I could not find this family in Hamilton Parish, Lanarkshire Scotland in the 1861 census perhaps they left for Australia sometime between the year 1851 and 1861. That is of course just a educated guess on my part. Trevor may infact have some idea by now when his family settled in Australia. Certainly before 1877. THere is certainly no doubt that his Livingston ancestor lived in Argyllshire like many Livingstons and Livingstones prior to his marriage to his wife Agnes in 1825 in lowland Hamilton, Lanarkshire.
Here then is more info on Trevor Livingston's Scottish ancestors:
1841 Scottish Census
Hamilton Parish, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Laigh Quarter
Donald Livingston age 35 occupation coal miner
Agness age 35
Mary age 14
Donald age 12
Agness age 10
Jean age 7
James age 4
Janet age 2

1851 Scottish Census
Hamilton Parish, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Castlehill
Donald Livingston age 47 coal miner and farmer of 20 acres b. Kildalton, Argyllshire (Isle of Islay)
Agness age 50 b. Hamilton, Lanarkshire
Jean 16 tambourer b. Hamilton Lanarkshire
James 14 coal miner " "
Janet age 12 " "
John age 9 " "
Colin age 4 " "
Elizabeth age 2 " "
Kyle MacLea

Re: Trevor Livingston of Australia Scottish ancestors

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Thanks for that, Donald! Hopefully Trevor will stop back in and see your note and update us on his progress!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

I thought I might contact Kevin about it actually. He may know him. Rob was in touch early on in 2005 regarding the DNA project so you and Andrew may have some contact info there. Kildalton parish is a bit a mystery given that being on the Isle of Islay there were Livingstons there before 1750 which is unusual for Argyllshire and subsequent highland Livingston migration to other parishes on the Isle of Islay in the late 1700's some of which could have ended up in Kildalton at that later time. So the big question is how many distinctive Livingston groups can be found in Kildalton parish in the 1700's and 1800's and just which ones. That the big question in my mind.
That is not to say that there isnt a bit of interesting Livingston mix in my own Western Argyll stomping ground as the DNA is showing so far.
regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I think we have a Trevor from Australia in the Project... you might ask Andrew about it.

K=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

Indeed he is and I will contact Andrew. This now gets more interesting.

Trevor seems to have extraordinary luck in terms of surviving records for his ancestors Donald and Angnes Livingston and family. I thought he and the family might have left Scotland after 1851 as I could not find them in the 1861 Scottish Census. Turns out that the family boarded a ship in August of 1854 at Liverpool and arrived at Port Adelaide in South Australia in December of 1854. Not only that there is surviving passenger list for the vessel "The Marion" which lists the entire family. Some of the ages appear to be wrong but clearly it is the same family as listed in the Census records at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland. I suspect that Trevor has likely seen this in the last five years but worth making a note of it in case other descendants of Donald and Agnes Livingstons are looking for their ancestors.

Information contained in the South Australian Register and South Australian Government Gazette indicates that the Donald and Agnes Livingston of Hamilton, Lanarkshire and their family were passengers aboard the Marion a 996 ton vessel commanded by Captain R. Leighton sailing from Liverpool on the 27th of August 1854 and arriving at Port Adelaide, Australia on the 10th of December 1854 with 384 immigrants. 106 days at sea 15 deaths and eight births.

From a Passenger List of the "Marion" (note some of the ages given are quite wrong and need to be compared with the census info)
Donald Livingstone age 30? farmer Hamilton, Lanarkshire
Agnes Livingstone age 34?
John Livingstone age 14
Colin LIvingstone age 7
Elizabeth Livingstone age 5

Mary Livingstone age 21 house maid with parents Hamilton, Lanarkshire
Janet Livingstone age 19 farm servant

James Livingston age 17 farm servant with parents Hamilton, Lanarkshire
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
also another Livingston family perhaps a relative on their way to Adelaide, Australia
Robert Livingston age 32 Carter Barony of Lanarkshire
Jane/Ann Livingston age 42
Jane/Janet Livingston age 11
Mary Livingston age 8
Robert Livingston age 7