Lachlan McInnes, Morvern

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
mcinnesknox

Lachlan McInnes, Morvern

Post by mcinnesknox »

Lachlan McInnes was my GGGrandfather, born in Morvern in 1849, possibly 1850. I haven't been able to find a birth record but I know his parents were Angus McInnes and Annie McLachlan. If they were both from Morvern I am wondering if Angus was the Angus born in Savary in 1820 to parents, Mile McInnes and Katrine Livingston. They also had a daughter, Betty, born in 1818. My GGrandmother always said her McInnes line was from Mull and descended from Lachlan McInnes and Mary McDonald (of Bunessan fame).
Does anyone have birth information for this McInnes line in Morvern ? I'd really like to confirm as much as I can while some of the older generation in my family are still around.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Lachlan McInnes, Morvern

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Clan McInnes has a long and ancient history at Morvern and are related to a number of Morvern Livingstons through marriage that lived in Morvern Parish. Donald Livingstone of Morvern 1728-1816 who rescued the Appin Regiment banner from Culloden Battlefield in April of 1746 was the son of John Livingstone and Ann McInnis of Savary, Morvern. My own Livingstone ancestor claimed to be born in Morvern parish on his 1812 marriage record. It is therefore within the rhelm of possibility that I have McInnis ancestors from Morvern given their close connection with the Livingstons in that parish.

I am not familiar with your McInnes family but perhaps these are your ancestors based upon the information you have provided us. Note that the ages are sometime inaccurate in these census records. Based upon a parish record and the 1861 Census the second child of Angus Livingston and Ann McLaughlin of Arness, Morvern appears to have been Peggy (Margaret) McInnis. I am not sure why she is called Mary in the 1841 and 1851 census but I am sure they are all the same family.
In the parish record for the baptism or birth of their first child there is no name legible for the child but Flora and Peggy are legible and all three are listed with same parents Angus Livingston and Ann McLauglin and the locatiion Arness, Morvern so this much matches the 1841 census location for Angus, ANn and family. The first child as I state while cant be read is born or baptised in 1839 according to the records which matches the eldest son Dugalds age 22 in the 1861 Cenus in any event.

Angus McInnis and Ann McLachlan were married December 22, 1836 in Morvern Parish. I could not find Angus McInnis or MacInnis in the Morvern parish baptism records in the early 1800's regretably.

1841 Census Morvern, Argll
Angus McInnis age 30 carpenter residence Arness, Morvern
Ann McInnis age 25 wife
Dougal McInnis age 4 son
Mary McInnis age 2 daughter
Sarah McInnis age 25 sister perhaps of ANgus
Cirstie McInnis age 65 possibly mother of Angus

1851 Census Morvern, Argyll (Farm at Knock,Morvern Parish, Argyll)
Angus McInnis not at home apparently
Ann McInnis age 36 b. Morvern listed as head of household
Dugald age 13 b. Morvern
Mary age 11 b. Morvern
Flora age 8 b. Morvern
Lachlan age 6 b. Morvern
Neil age 3 b. Morvern

family probably left Morvern Parish, Argyll for Glasgow, Lanarkshire between 1851 and 1852 since the family were at Knock, Morvern in 1851 and the daughter Christina was born about a year or so later in Glasgow, Lanarkshire.

1861 Census Glasgow, Lanarkshire Central District, Glasgow Inner High 56 Tenant Street
Angus McInnis age 54 b. Morvern occupation: joiner
Ann McInnis age 48 b. Morvern
Dugald age 22 b. Morvern
Margaret age 18 b. Morvern
Flora age 16 b. Morvern
Lachlan age 14 b. Morvern
Neil age 12 b. Morvern
Christina age 9 b. Glasgow
Agnes age 7 b. Glasgow

Angus McInnis was a boat carpenter at a place called Arness, Morvern in the 1830's and 1840's. His wife in the parish records from that period is listed as Ann McLaughlin as you have stated. I unfortunately could only find three parish records not sure if they are baptisms or birth records but they are appear to be for Dougald, Margaret (Peggy) and Flora. Could not find one for Lachlan unfortunately but he appears to have been born abt. 1845 or 1847 based upon the census info. It appears that sometime by 1851 they were living on a farm at Knock, Morvern and then the following year were living in Glasgow, Lanarkshire.

I dont see how your ANgus could have been born as late as 1820 based upon the census info on him so I would say no to your question. He seems to have been born at Morvern from what I can tell from the census records.

The Clan McInnes Association have an excellent webpage and probably have people who have much greater insight into Morvern McInnis families than I. I would suggest you contact them.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone
Kyle MacLea

Re: Lachlan McInnes, Morvern

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Great info, Donald! Our friends the McInneses have been very great resources to us over the years. I hope Donald was able to help you, McInnes Knox. You are free to continue this discussion although our sources of info on the McInnes families, though friends and allies, are not as great as for the Livingston/e relatives. Thanks for joining the discussion!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com