Dr David Livingstone

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
rmf

Dr David Livingstone

Post by rmf »

Hi all wondering if I can get some help in checking family history. I live in Sydney Australia my name is Ferris but my grandmother name was Dorothy Cathryn Stevenson her mother was Cathryn Livingstone who married a Gilbert Currie she was the sister of Dr David Livingstone have other names of Carmody and Gall also wondering if we can get assistance in clarifying background please. We ar ehaving trouble trying to sort through details.
Regards
Rob Ferris
Kyle MacLea

Re: Dr David Livingstone

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Welcome, Rob! We have some great researchers here and we look forward to being able to help you if we can. Please look around and enjoy yourself reading all of the great information! Our Clan Historian, Donald Livingstone Clink (Canadian Livingstone) has done a bit of research on Dr Livingstone's relatives and should be able to give you quick information!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the Clan Maclea Livingstone Forum. I regret to say that Dr. Livingstone did not have a sister named Catharine. He had two sisters Janet b. March 25,1818 at Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland d. Nov. 23,1895 in Edinburgh and Agnes b.April 16, 1823, Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland d. January 3, 1895 Kendal, Westmoreland, England.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
rmf

Post by rmf »

Hi have spoken with my sister who also has a William Francis Stevenson who was married to Dorothy Cathryn Livingstone, there is also an Arthur James Livingstone who married a Elizabeth Carmody.
Canadian Livingstone

HI Rob,

So your Great-grandparents were Gilbert Currie and Catharine Livingston? And there was an Arthur James Livingston and Elizabeth Carmody. Were these folks married in Scotland or in Australia? Do you know if Gilbert Currie and Catharine Livingston were married in Australia or Scotland and whether they were born in Australia or Scotland?

Currie were a family somewhat dispersed throughout Scotland although there were some that I knew of that lived on the Isle of Islay near where some of my Livingstons lived briefly. ONe of that family group a Gilbert Currie married a Catharine Livingston March 20, 1811 at Kilarrow Parish, Isle of Islay. This is likely at the old Presbyterian Round Church where my own Livingston ancestor Miles livingston and Janet Livingston originally from Morvern were married the following year in 1812. I think however that this Gilbert and Catharine Currie are perhaps to old to have been your great-grandparents as they would have likely been born in the late 1700's. I would assume your Gilbert Currie and Catharine Livingston to have been born in Scotland or Australia sometime in the 1800's. Any further details on Gilbert and Catharine would be helpful.

regards,

Donald
rmf

Post by rmf »

Hi thanks my sisiter has come up with this family tree I think it will give you more information and looks like we are on right track can give you more but think this will identify the connection. ?

The Catherine(Katherine) Livingstone - born 10th Sept,1785, Kilmore, Argyll, Scotland. and who married a Gilbert Currie is the daughter of Neil Livingstone and Mary Morrison( David Livingstone's grandparents); Sister to Neil Livingstone and Agnes Livingstone ( David Livingstone's parents; aunty to David Livingstone.

Neil Livingstone+ Mary Morrison = Neil Livinstone,Catherine Livingstone, Agnes Livingstone etc

Now:

Neil Livingstone + Agnes Hunter = David Livingstone.

while:

Catherine livingstone + Gilbert Currie = Hugh Currie.

Then:

Hugh Currie + Catherine Gall = Christina Currie

Christina Currie + James Livingstone = Arthur James Livingstone

Arthur James Livingstone+ Elizabeth Carmody = Dorothy Catherine Livingstone

Dorothy Catherine Livingstone + William Francis Stevenson= Betty Frances Stevenson

Betty Stevenson + Leslie Francis Ferris = Robert, Carol, Lynette Ferris
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Rob,

The late David Livingstone Wilson great-grandson of Dr. Livingstone states that Dr Livingstone had a Aunt named Catharine but his family did not recall the name of her husband. Others have since speculated but I have not come across Catharine Livingston and Gilbert Currie before as an Aunt and Uncle of Dr. Livingstone. That being said I am curious about a possilbe Isle of Islay connection to Dr. David Livingston's family which our genealogy DNA project seems to have identified in testing so this Catharine Livingston who marrried Gilbert Currie in 1811 at Kilarrow Parish Isle of Islay likely at the PResbyterian Church at Bowmore is of interest to me. Also my ancestor Miles Livingston was married a year later at Kilarrow Parish in 1812 at the same church which is an interesting coincidence if in fact this Gilbert Currie and Catharine Livingston at Kilarrow Parish 1811 is actually the Catharine Livingston and Gilbert Livingston you are related to. THis Catharine whether or not she is actually Dr. LIvingstone's aunt is born probably around the 1780's I would guess. I have been looking for potential relatives of Dr. Livingstone likely connected to an Uncle as well but it is still very much a work in progress. So while I am not sure that this Gilbert Currie and Catharine lIvingston at Kilarrow Parish 1811 Isle of Islay are your ancestors or that they are connected to Dr. Livingstone it is interesting.

regards,

Donald