Dr. David Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
BobzMitchell

Re: Dr. David Livingston

Post by BobzMitchell »

Hi Livingstons

I was interested in Your Family of Gilbert Currie and son Hugh Currie because I found your family while surfing Google and my Currie family is a very close match. My Curries also came from Islay in Kilchoman Parish. Hugh Currie came to Ontario Canada in the mid 1850's. His daughter Margaret is my great great grandmother, She married James Gawley in Binbrook ON. (I know nothing about Hugh's brothers Duncan and Neil). Below is my Currie family as best I can figure using various sources. I am sure you can see the resemblance. I, of course, would like to pursue my family back further.
Thanks
Bob M.
British Columbia Canada.

Gilbert Currie
Birth: 1769 in Islay Argyllshire Scotland
Death: 1828 in Islay Argyllshire Scotland [1]
Marriage: Abt. 1796 in Kilchoman, Argyll, Scotland [1]
Father:
Mother:

Margaret McArthur
Birth: 1773 in Islay Argyllshire Scotland [1]
Death: 01 Nov 1861 in Carduncan Kilchoman Argyll Scotland [1]
Father: James McArthur
Mother: Catharine McDermid

Children:
1. Hugh Currie
Birth: 1798 in Islay Argyllshire Scotland
Death: 28 Aug 1863 in Artemesia Grey ON
Marriage: 13 Mar 1832 in Carnduncan Islay Scotland [2]
Spouses: Mary Bell (b: 1808)
2. Duncan Currie
Birth: Abt. 1805 in Kilchoman, Argyll, Scotland [1]
Marriage: 08 Mar 1830 in Kilchoman, Argyll, Scotland [1]
Spouses: Mary MacTaggart
3. Neil Currie
Birth: 1811 in Canduncan Kilchoman Scotland [3]
Death: 05 Mar 1875 in Erin Twp Wellington ON [1]
Burial: Everton Eramosa Twp Wellinton ON [1]
Marriage: 23 May 1825 in Kilchoman, Argyll, Scotland [1]
Spouses: Isabella Johnson
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Bob,

I am afraid the extent of my knowledge is largely highland clan Maclea Livingstone however I know that Curries were quite common to the Isle of Islay for certain. My ancestor Miles Livingston b.1775 a native of Morvern Parish, Argyll lived and worked in the early 1800's in Kilarrow Parish and possibly one of the neighbouring parishes near Port Bowmore on the Isle of Islay,Argyll. I determined from both Scottish and Canadian records that there were two Livingston families originally connected to Morvern Parish, Argyll that both lived on Islay were involved in the boatbuilding industry or carpentry and that settled around the same time at Lord Selkirks settlement.My ancestor Miles Livingston was a carpenter, barrelmaker, boatmaker, farmer in his lifetime in the highlands of Scotland and Canada. As Islay had a long established whiskey industry, no doubt he was making barrels in his youth as he did as an old man years later in Canada. When my livingston ancestor left Bowmore,Kilarrow Parish, Islay of Islay for British North America in the summer of 1812 to Lord Selkirk's settlement at Red River in Hudsons Bay territory, there were Mcleans of northern Mull origin , a group of Irish ,and a small party from Islay including my ancestor Miles a few other Livingston relatives, a Lamont and a Currie who was I think a carpenter aboard the Hudson Bay Company vessel `Robert Taylor``. More often than not when the name Currie comes up in some way associated with a Livingston there is an Isle of Islay origin. Must of been alot them living on that Island. Currie, Lamont and Livingston were at one time common names on the Island of Islay.

Interesting that your ancestor was also a Gilbert Currie. I wonder if there is some significance in the name `Gilbert`` in the Currie Family on Islay. I remember that a Livingston family was connected to a Gilbert Currie, but I dont now anything about these Curries. I dont come across that name Gilbert too often in my highland Scottish family research. Might be some family connection among the Curries with the name Gilbert. Dont know if one can make link however.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Maclea Livingstone Society
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Not sure if anyone has info that can help you get back further, but if anyone does, please chime in. We don't want to delve TOO deeply into another family's genealogy, but if there is anyone out there with ideas or sources, please let us know. It could be there is a family connection, which we would certainly like to know about (Donald's thoughts also indicate the frequent connections on Islay).

If you have a lot of material to share with Bob, please PM me and I can provide you each with email addresses if you need it!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
cedwards67

Post by cedwards67 »

Hi,

There's always been a story in my family that my ggg.grandfather Donald MacIntyre, a stone mason, born about 1796 married Catherine Livingstone (b. about 1799), who was the sister or cousin of David Livingstone.

As David didn't have a sister Catherine, I had discounted this story until recently I discovered that my ggg.grandfather was in fact Donald McIntyre a stone mason, married to a Catherine Livingstone, and they appear to have been married and had at least two children in the Lanark area.

I'm wondering if she might be a cousin? Does anyone know whether any of David Livingstone's father Neil's brothers (John, Charles, Donald, or Duncan) had a daughter named Catherine? They would all be of about the right age.

There was always a hint of scandal about the association, and have also recently found out that the McIntyres (mine anyways) were Catholic, so that might explain it.

Thanks for any help. We're off to Scotland next week hunting.

Cathy Edwards
Ottawa, Canada
(819) 772-2862
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Cathy,

I dont think your ancestor was either a sister or Aunt of Dr. David Livingstone but your Livingstone kin in Lanark might have some grounds to believe they might be related somehow to Dr. Livingstone given that two sons of Duncan Livingston and Christian Beaton of Lettermore Mull whom settled in a township of Lanark County in the 1820`s were believed by Dr. Livingstone`s older brother John Livingstone 1811-1899 of Listowel, Ontario to have been cousins. I dont think they were first cousins as some have suggested and possibly more distant but if you are connected to the Dalhousie Township,Lanark County Livingstons who settled in that township in 1821 you might have some ancestral connection with Dr. Livingstone's family that lived in the Mull,Argyllshire area apparently in the 1700's.

This Duncan Livingston of Lettermore, Mull who was married to Christian Beaton does not seem to be the Duncan Livingston said to be Dr. Livingstones Uncle who served in the Napoleonic War in my oppinion but I do think that John Livingston brother of Dr. Livingston thought the sons or a son were cousins. And certainly John of Listowel Ontario and his brother Dr. Llivingstone had a grandfather and grandmother that lived in Lettermore in the 1770's at the time of their marriage and birth of their eldest children. So it is not surprising and interesting that old John Livingston brother of Dr. Livingstone made the connection with these other Lettermore Mull Livingstones that settled in Lanark County in the 1820's

. I did find out that two or three sons Alexander,John, Duncan and a daughter Catharine children of Duncan Livingston and this Christian Beaton of Lettermore, Mull did settle in Dalhousie Township, Lanark County, ONtario and that John Livingstone brother of Dr. Livingstone knew at least one of them. ( Brothers Alexander, John and Duncan Livingston received land grants in Dalhousie Township around 1821 and lived in an area there in what known by locals as the highland line.There was an old article apparently from the 1870`s that indicated that John believed Alexander Livingston of Lanark County was a cousin. They did not however live in close proximity to each other as some have suggested given that Listowel Ontario is on the way to Lake Huron and in Perth County and Lanark County is the Ottawa area. A bit of a horse and buggy ride in the 1800`s so I dont imagine they saw to much of each other.

Still it is interesting to note that Dr. Livingstones brother John was a tailor and merchant in Lanark Township, Lanark County briefly in the 1840`s and 1850`s before settling in Listowel, Perth County, Ontario with his family around 1860 I think it was. I always wondered if there any of the Livingston families that settled in Lanark County earlier in the 1820`s were connected to Dr. Livingstones family in any way back in Scotland. It appears most werent but I have always suspected that one Livingston family that settled during the 1820`s might have some family connection. That may be the case. If I can sort out your Livingston family tree during the 1800`s in Lanark County I could figure out which of the several Livingston famlies that settled in the Townships of Lanark COunty in the 1820`s you are connected to.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society