Dr. David Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
casa

Dr. David Livingston

Post by casa »

Hi! My name is Carol and I am (Rob's sister, who posted on forum earlier re: David Livingstone ).I would like to thank you for allowing me to join this forum. I do have a great deal of information you may find interesting and I have a detailed family tree of my family and how we relate to David Livingston, but first I would like to give you a little background. My grandmother " Dorothy Catherine Livingstone" often told me the story of how we were directly related to David LIvingstone through grand parents. Her great, great grandfather was Gilbert Currie who she said married the sister of David Livingstones Father.
She also said that we have 2 seperate Livingstone lines running through our family. First with Catherine Livingstone who married Gilbert Currie and then with teir grand daughter Christina when she married a James Livingstone of a different family line. We have managed to trace the second Livingstone line back to a James Livingstone b: Abt 1725 in Riccarton, Ayr,Scotland. He married Eurhan Allan b: Abt 1730 in Riccarton,Ayr,Scotland. They were the parents of Alexander Livingstone b:Aug 03, 1769 in Riccarton, Ayr, Scotland. I would love to know more about the Riccarton Livingstones as I have no further information.

According to a detailed family tree which I have managed to decipher, Neil Livingstone and Mary Morrison are David Livingstones grandparents. They are also my great, great, great,great, great grandparents, through the marriage of their daughter Catherine to Gilbert Currie,whose children were born in Bowmore, Isle of Islay, Scotland. Their son Hugh Currie immigrated to Australia. His death certificate states that his father was Gilbert Currie and his mother was Catherine Currie formerly Livingstone.Now I ahve some information someone may find useful.

The details of Neil Livingstone and Mary Morrisonas follows:
Neil Livingstone & Mary Morrison m: Dec 27, 1774.
Parents to:
Mary Livingstone b:Feb 04,1776, Kilninian&Kilmore, Argyll, Scotland
John Livingstone b:1777,Ulva, Argyll, Scotland
Duncan Livingstone b:1778, Ulva, Argyll,Scotland
Cahrles Livingstone b:1779, Ulva,Argyll,Scotland
Donald Livingstone b:1780,Ulbva, Argyll,Scotland
Margaret Livingstone b: April 06,1783, Ulva, Argyll, Scotland
Catherine Livingstone b: Sept 10, 1785, Kilninian&Kilmore, Argyll, Scotland d: July 01,1872, Killarrow, Argyll, Scotland
Neil Livingstone b: Nov13,1788, Ulva, Argyll, Scotland
Agnes Livingstone b: Aud 20,1796, Ulva, Argyll, Scotland

Neil Livingstone m: Agnes Hunter Dec02,1810, Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Parents to:
Charles Livingstone b:Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Elizabeth b: 1815, Blantyre,Lanarkshire,Scotland
Charles Livingstone b: Feb 28,1821,Blantyre,Lanarkshire,Scotland
David Livingstone b: Mar 19,1813, Blantyre,Lanarkshire,Scotland
Janet Livingstone b: Mar25,1818, Blantyre, Lanarkshire,Scotland
Agnes Livingstone b: Apl 16,1823, Blantyre,Lanarkshire, Scotland
John Livingstone b: May15,1871, Blantyre,Lanarkshire,Scotland
Niel Livingstone b:Mar22,1825,Blantyre,Lanarkshire,Scotland

Catherine Livingstone married Gilbert Currieb:Abt1785,Bowmore,Kilarrow,Argyll,Scotland m:March20,1811,in Islay, Scotland

Parents to:
Hugh Currie b: Jan04,1814,Bowmore,Isle of Islay,Scotland d:Dec04,1898,Williamstown, Vic , Australia
Christian Currie b: Jan15,1816,Isle if Islay
Margaret Currie b: May 02,1818, Isle of Islay
Catherine Currie b: Apr 04,1820,Bowmore,Isle of Islay
Mary Currie b:Oct 19,1822,Bowmore,Isle of Islay

I know Hugh my great, great, great, great grandfather came to Australia and settled in Williamstown, Victoria, where he died, but a number of descendants of Catherine and Gilbert may have stayed on Islay. Hope this helps with your research into the Livingstone Clan.
Kyle MacLea

Re: Dr. David Livingston

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Welcome, Carol! We are very happy to have this information, and, if we can, to suggest further avenues for research. Until then, though, I just want to encourage you to invite people to come and use our Forum! We always love having new interested members and readers!

We definitely want to explore this connection to the Doctor further!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Carol,
Welcome to our forum.
See my discussions with your brother Rob regarding your ancestors Gilbert Currie and Catharine Livingston of Kilarrow Parish, Isle of Islay. Well thats great news that the Gilbert Currie and Catharine Livingston that were married in 1811 at the old Bowmore Presbyterian Round Church, Kilarrow Parish are your ancestors. By coincidence my great-great great grandfather Miles Livingston and his wife Janet Livingston were married in 1812 in the same church at Bowmore. DNA testing however has proven my Livingston kin are not connected to Dr. Livingstons family line.

The late Dr. David Livingston Wilson great grandson of Dr. David Livington unfortunately passed away in March in Scotland but in the 1980's put together a family tree which lists Dr. Livingstone's aunt Catharine Livingston born 1785 but he was not certain whom he she married and does not list a husband. Some names have come up but I am sticking with the research of the Dr. Livingstone's great-gramdson until one can be certain. That being said I think it is imperative to check out any leads such as yours and take them seriously as you never know when we might find a lost relative of Dr. Livingstone. As I have said I am interested in the possibility that Dr. Livingstone had an Uncle or an Aunt that settled on the Isle of Islay in the late 1700's or early 1800's. There are many stories passed on from generation to generation in Livingston families of a family connection to Dr. Livingstone and they should be checked out.

Unfortunately the information regarding your ancestor Catharine Currie wife of Gilbert Currie in the 1861 Census indicates that she was born at Kilarrow Parish, Isle of Islay no where near Blantyre in the Glasgow area where Dr. Livingstone's grandparents Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison were living in the 1790's and not near Ulva or Mull,Argyll where they lived before Blantyre, Lanarkshire. The 1841 Census records Gilbert Livingston as a 55 year old fisherman born abt. 1786 and residing in Bowmore (Kilarrow) Parish, Isle of Islay with his wife Catharine age 45 born abt. 1796. They resided on School Street. In the 1851 Census Gilbert Canrie (Currie) fisherman is recorded as age 60 born abt. 1791 while his wife Catharine age 50 is born abt. 1801. In the 1861 Census Gilbert Currie age 78 born at Kilchoman,Island of Islay and is a pauper fisherman living on High Street, Kilarrow Parish, Bowmore, Islay with his wife Catharine age 70 born abt. 1791 at Kilarrow Parish.

Your ancestor Gilbert Currie pauper of High Street, Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish, Isle of Islay died August 13,1861 age given 76 years. Married to Catharine Livingston. His parents listed in the death record were Hugh Currie and Margaret McAlister.

Catharine Currie widow of Gilbert Currie died July 1, 1872 at Church Street, Bowmore,Kilarrow Parish Islay 87 years. Unfortunately her parents are recorded on her death record as James Livingston and Catharine Niven.

regards,

Donald
casa

Post by casa »

Thank you for the feedback. I am Grateful for any help I can get. Is it possible that I have the wrong Gilbert Currie? I have a copy of Hugh Currie's death certificate which states that he was born 1811, Bowmore, Isle of Islay, Scotland d:dec04,1898, Williamstown in the colony of Victoria ; son of Gilbert Currie and Catherine Currie formerly Livingstone; retired mariner. The story is that Hugh left Scotland when he had an arguement with his parents over a girl and ran away becoming a member of the Robert Benn crew. Could anyone give me advice on going further with my investigations as I seem to be at a dead end.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Carol,
I dont think so. The death record is fairly clear that your ancestor Hugh was born in the early 1800's and that his parents were Gilbert Currie and Catharine Livingston. These were the only Gilbert Currie and wife Catharine Livingston in the Argyllshire,Scotland records at that time.
In the Scottish census records he is referred to as a fisherman and in the Australian records a mariner. The year he died 1861 the census taker noted that he was a pauper fisherman. THere were Curries at Bowmore, Islay to be sure in the 1800's but Gilbert Currie is not that common a name at Bowmore/Kilarrow in the early 1800's so your ancestor kind of stood out in the records with his wife Catharine. I am pretty certain this info I have found pertains to Gilbert Currie and Catharine LIvingston parents as indicated in your research of your ancestor Hugh Currie of Australia. As I mentioned to your brother I knew before hand that there were Curries that lived on the Isle of Islay as one of them travelled with my ancestor Miles Livingston to Canada in 1812. I think that Currie was from the Bowmore/Kilarrow area. I have no way of knowing however if your Gilbert Currie-Catharine Livingston were connected to my ancestor Miles Livingston though it looks like they attended the same Presbyterian church at Bowmore in the 1811-1812 period which I find interesting. Whether your Catharine Currie was related to my ancestor Miles cant be known but they almost certainly sat in the same church at one time or another and may have crossed paths. You may be interested in knowing that the original Bowmore Presbyterian Round Church that was around when your Gilbert and Catharine Currie were married in 1811 is still there if you ever make a trip to Bowmore Isle of Islay in the future.

My ancestor Miles and his wife left Bowmore/Kilarrow in June of 1812 for Western Canada or Hudson Bay Territory, British North America at that time. Lord Selkirk was establishing a settlement in Hudson Bay Territory and his highland agents had recruited settlers from Northern Mull and few from the Isle of Islay as well. Miles Livingston was actually born abt. 1775 and at Morvern, Argyll originally according to his marriage record. Islay had a whiskey business and that appears where my ancestor and some of his kin later settled and where he utilized his carpentry skills at barrel making for the Whiskey as well as boat building.

I could not find any birth or baptismal records for a Catharine Livingston daughter of James Livingston and Catharine Niven but a quick check of Niven in the census records of 1851 revealed infact that there were a group of Nivens living at Bowmore in the 1800's. Catharine's baptismal/birth record appears to be missing but the census information indicates she was born in the late 1700's on the Isle of Islay at Kilarrow/Bowmore Parish.

You mentioned that Hugh Currie was born abt. 1811 according to his Australian death record. THere is no surviving birth record but the original Bowmore/Kilarrow Parish Church Register records indicates that Hugh Currie son to Gilbert Currie and his spouse Katharine Livingston of Bowmore,Kilarrow Parish, Islay was baptised January 4th, 1814 so I would be inclined to think he was actually born a few years later than 1811.

regards,

Donald
casa

Post by casa »

Thank you for all your help. I think this is a work in progress and will continue to follow different leads, maybe one day I will discover the piece I need. I will also continue to browse the forum and contribute if I find information that may help some one else.
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Carol, we really value YOUR input and contributions as well. We are always excited to see new Forum members and participants. Please also pass this address on to anyone else researching your line or any other line. Thanks for the info on your family--these things sometimes bear fruit slowly, but I think this line will someday be fleshed out even more.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Carol (and Rob),

Yes indeed we enjoyed hearing from you and learning about your Livingston family story. Sorry I could not be of more help to you in your quest to learn more about your ancestors. We encourage you and other Livingstons from Australia and New Zealand to contact us with their stories and queries. Thank-you for sharing your Currie-Livingston family information with us. We hope you come back and the visit the forum in the future. The Clan Society Web Site you may also find an excellent source for Clan history should you be interested in learning more about the history of our ancient highland clan.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
casa

Post by casa »

Hi! Still researching my Livingston(e) ancestors and have been looking through site suggested by Kyle http://fsbeta.familysearch.org/. I have come across entries relating to Katherine Livingston and my ancestor Gilbert Currie. According to this information Gilbert Currie married Katherine Livingston b:18dec,1794, Kilmore & Kilbride, Argyll, Scotland. m: 20 Mar,1811, Killarow, Argyll, Scotland ( indexing project batch m11536-4, source film no. 1041078, origin scotland-ODM). It states in another entry (C11523-2) that her parents were Donald Livingston and Katherine Livingston. The birth entry for Hugh Currie their son ( who came to Australia ) is (C11536-2, sorce film no 1041078, ref no. -2:15CK4GF). I feel this would be possible as you stated that in the census records Katherine was about 10years younger than Gilbert and he was born in 1785, Bowmore, Killarrow,Argyll,Scotland. Please check this out and let me know if I am on the right track and if you know which Donald and Katherine Livingston they may be. Thank you casa
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Carol,

Steve Wilson who has done extensive David Livingstone research has found that Catharine Livingston born 1794 at Kilmore and Kilbride Parish to be the daughter of an Oban area Livingston named Donald Livingston and his wife Catharine maiden name Livington who lived at Blantyre Works in the early 1800's and worked at mill with David Livingston father Neil Livingston. The only problem with the information you have is that Steve found in his research of the records that this Catharine Livingston actually married a Hugh McPhail which the records he located seem to indicate is correct. Steve's research has researched the complete family of this Donald Livingston and Catharine Livingston of Blantyre Works, Scotland and you can see it at by looking up Steve Wilson David Livingstone and from there look for other Livingstons of Blantyre on that web page.

regards,

Donald