Dr. David Livingstone's grandparents

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Jill Richmond

Re: Dr. David Livingstone's grandparents

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Jane,

I take it that you are referring to the historical researches conducted by the Duke of Argyll. These are almost certainly housed at Inveraray Castle. This is a closed archive, and I believe that permission is only given on very rare occasions, if ever, for people to access them. I am sure that there are many people out there who would love to take a peep at them.

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Jane M Livingstone

Post by Jane M Livingstone »

I had heard that it was difficult to get information from the Argylls, so my great uncle seems to have been lucky to do so - the Duke at the time was obviously more willing to share. However, I thought that by this time, the research might have been put in a public domain such as the National Archives or a university library.

On the same note, I discovered that there is a project (through Edinburgh university I vaguely recall) looking into Carmichael's research but I'm not sure what they are doing, it may just be cataloguing.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jill,

I think just about everything available regarding highland Macleas and Livingstones has been located, researched and published over the years and its out there in one form or another but if there is a possibility that there is information in the Inveraray Castle Archives we have not seen then would indeed be unfortunate. I must admit I assumed that whatever was in there regarding Maclea Livingstone had been accessed over the years from that Castle Archives but I could be wrong on that. I will check with Baron Livingstone. He is likely familiar with any Maclea Livingstone info that might be in that archive. Perhaps some inquiries can be made but it sounds like as you say that it is a private archives.

I would also like to get an index to the Stuart Papers held in the Royal Archives and get a copy of an original copy of 1746 Appin Regiment Casualty list submitted to Bonnie Prince Charlie but I am not certain that is possible either. I do however fortunatley have a copy from a limited edition book published in the late 1800's. I am currently in discusssion with a member of the Stewart Society in an effort to locate the original copy of the Appin Regiment Casualty list apparently of Alexander Stewart of Invernahyle that Clan Stewart of Appin had. Clearly however the Inveraray Castle Archives is something we should look into.

regards,

Donald