Dr. David Livingstone's grandparents

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Aussie Livingstone

Re: Dr. David Livingstone's grandparents

Post by Aussie Livingstone »

Hi Everyone,
Please forgive my lack of computer literacy trying to log in.. and if I've repeated myself in emails! Donald, re what you said about cove/ cave in relation to Dr L's grandparents it is "cave", one site that makes reference to it is Wikipedia "Ulva". David's grandfather lived in a cave whilst building the family home.There is a photo on the net of the ruins of the old stone house he built that I think still exist, perhaps I found it on the Electric Scotland site..I have it bookmarked won't look right now & risk having to try & log in again at the moment..would certainly be a great photo for the gallery. I would very much like to know if this is the home of one of my g (something) grandparents as my 94yr old grandmother told me before she died that she believed me to be a descendant of David Livingstone's brother John which would have made him my gg grandfather with his son Daniel my g grandfather (perhaps known as "Donald") being born around the 1850's, my grandfather Edward Daniel Livingstone was born around 1893. My g grandfather Daniel Livingstone died in France during WWI. At first I thought Harrison's brother Daniel of the Boularderie Soldiers was my g grandfather he certainly is the image of my brother Richard, however that Daniel who died in France was around the same age as my grandfather so was more likely a nephew? of my Daniel. My other brother David Livingstone looks very much like David Livingstone of the Black Brook Livingstones reputed to be cousins of the Boularderie Livingstones. My late father did say our relatives settled in "PEI and Nova Scotia."

Have you looked at George W Bush's ancestry at all Donald? With regard to likenesses that you've mentioned in the past,he is so like my late father that I looked up his ancestry and he has Livingston(e)s on both sides of his family, one of his ancestors mentioned is Henry Livingstone who wrote "The Night Before Christmas" (as described on the net in that family tree) My thoughts are that perhaps your John Livingstone 1777 is Rev John Livingstone born 1777 who incurred the wrath of his church and was pretty much exhiled to Amsterdam where he finally made his way to America?

Re the dead end you've seemingly reached with your own family research Donald..my thinking is Miles is a less common name in the family and another less common name Archibald predominately appears in the long line of John Livingstones that Dr David's family hail from.I met a Livingstone girl who lived in my street who told me that she is from the line of 9 John Livingstones, she said there is more than that given her family continued the tradition of naming their sons either John Archibald or Archibald John Livingstone. In my ancestral research I have come across Donald, Miles, Archibald and Neil Livingstone being close relatives, so it might help if you look for Miles in conjunction with Archibald. Also there is a brass plate in my family that is engraved with "Love from Uncle Archie" that was owned by my grandfather who died before I was born. I think it is worth remembering all the time whilst doing research that a lot of our Livingstone male ancestors/relatives gave their sons the same name as their brothers which I know only adds to our confusion especially where the Neils and Donalds are concerned.

I believe that Donald L of Culloden fame, son of Anna and Baron John could well be the father of Neil Livingstone 1 (Dr David's grandfather Neil, note they are referred to as Neil I and Neil II perhaps indicating they're not descendants of Baron John's son Neil who otherwise would have been identified as Neil I? in a line of them) It fits that Donald may have named his son Neil (David L's grandfather) after his brother Neil. Given Baron John was born way back around 1680 and died at Culloden, it stands to reason that one of his sons i.e Donald who saved the Appin Banner, WHO DID NOT DIE AT CULLODEN fathered this Neil (Dr David's grandfather) said to born around 1745 or 1746? around the time of the Battle of Culloden. I've seen the names of Baron John's three sons who were named as having died at the Battle of Culloden when their father did. In one of the James of the Glen accounts there is mention of widow Anna McInnes' surviving sons and what they allegedly did. Is reasonable Donald made his way to settle "across the loch" at Benderloch? to escape persecution for the James of the Glen incident. I really think I'm descended from Donald, that Dr David was and that you likely are too Donald, given the Archibald/Miles and Donald connection. If Dr David was indeed my g grandfather Daniel's first cousin then "Uncle Archie" (i.e the old brass plate) would have ALSO been Dr David's uncle, brother of either his father Neil or grandfather Neil. I note that one of the Catherine Livingstone's married to a cousin who was a Livingstone was the daughter of a John Livingstone, perhaps she is responsible for the naming of one of the Archibald Livingstone's i.e the Archibald Johns and John Archibald's that exist in my friend's John Livingstone family tree. I also read on the net that either Catherine or Donald Livingstone or both was/were 13yrs old when they married so a pregnancy at such a young age is feasible & could be the reason they married and were noted as not prospering where they lived and moving. With regard to "Angus" there was an Angus Livingstone murdered at Nth Sydney (your Nth Sydney not Australia) if you want to Google that.

I'm interested to know if any other Livingstones are gifted/cursed with psychic abilities. When I read of old Catherine Livingstone I couldn't believe she wasn't related to me i.e she was married to a Livingstone, later found out what I "knew" she was a Livingstone herself! There is a few accounts of the psychic abilities of the Livingstones and the Scottish are noted as being amongst the most psychic people.

Happy hunting, Amanda.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello Amanda,

Regarding Dr. Livingstone's brother John Livingstone (1811-1899) and any family connection it should be noted that he and his wife Sarah Mackenzie and children left for Ontario, Canada in the 1840's settling first in Lanark, Ontario and in 1860 in Listowel, Ontario where John was a merchant. There was no Donald or Daniel in the family. The family lived in Ontario, Canada with some of the children later moving to the United States, but as far as we know none lived in Australia.
The children of John Livingstone and Sarah Mackenzie
1. Neil b. abt. 1835
2.Harriet b. abt. 1837 died in infancy
3.Janette b. abt. 1838
4. Harriet b. abt. 1841 died in infancy
5. David b. abt. 1843
6. Agnes b. abt. 1845
7. Henry Drummond b. abt. 1847
8. Sarah Mackenzie b. abt. 1849/1850
9. John Junior b. abt. 1852
10. Charles b. abt. 1853
11. Robert b. abt. 1857

The John Livingston (Reverend John Livingston) who fled ANcram, Scotland to Holland lived in the Reign of Charles the Second not in the 1700's. He is descended from a lowland Livingstone not related to Dr. Livingstone's highland Livingstone family as far as we can tell from DNA testing we have done so far. John's son Robert went to the then Colony of New York in the late 1600's and became a major land owner there. This famly of whom there are many descendants still living in the State of New York, USA has nothing to do with Dr. Livingstone's highland Livingstone family as far as we can tell. George Bush is apparently related to the old New York Colony Robert Livingston (1654-1728) Lord of Livington Manor family through one of his sons or grandsons I should think and therefore decended from the above John LIvingston of Holland.

DNA test results of a descendant a great grandson of Dr. Livingstone's brother John has so far suggested that unlike what was previously believed Dr. Livingstone's ancestors and that of Baron Livingstone are not a blood relation. This test was not conducted until we had a proven documented descendant of Dr. Livingstone's brother otherwise we could not be certain of the validity of the results.

Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern who served in the Appin Regiment of the Stewarts of APpin and who rescued the Appin Regimental banner at the Battle of CUlloden was the son of JOhn Livington b.1700 d. 1759 and Anna McInnis who are buried at Keil Cemetery near Lochaline, Morvern. Donald's father John was not as far as I am aware the son of Baron John Livingstone or his father. Baron John Livingstone just to put things in perspective was actually born in 1746 and would have been too young to have participated in the 1745 Rebellion or the Battle of Culloden which took place in April of 1746. His father Duncan Livingston born abt. 1713 was actually the Baron of Bachuil on the Isle of the Lismore at the time of the 1745 Rebellion and the Battle of Culloden in 1746. I suspect that Dr. Livingstone's father who according to Dr. Livingstone died at Culloden was not a son of the Baron of Bachuil at the time but in fact John Livingston a tenant of the Ballachulish Stewarts but I have no proof of that. K.W. Grant a historian from the 1920's tells us that local Ballachulish tradition has Dr. Livingstone's ancestors being several generations of John Macleas or Maconleas (our old clan name before the 1750's ) that lived at Balachulish but of course Dr. Livingstone in his book published in the 1850's made no mention of Ballachulish, Argyll connection only that he understood his grandfathers ancestors to have lived at Ulva in the Mull areain Argyll. It may be that his family lived at Ballachulish before the 1745 Rebellion and then Dr. David Livingstons grandfather Neil settled in Mull before the 1770's, but unfortnately Dr. Livingston who would have best known if anyone in the 1850's when he wrote his book, the history of his grandfather and earlier family gives us only a few details. Oddly enough Dr. Livingstone was under the impression that his readers would not be interested in his family history so he wrote only very briefly about it in the first chapter and focused mostly on his African adventures. I have always felt this was most unfortunate as he tells us that his grandfather Neil Livingston was the family storyteller and you would think that Dr. Livingston must have learned much more about his ancestry than in shares with us in his book publlished in the 1850's. You would think his father Neil Livingston born 1787 or 1788 would have also discussed with him about the family origins in the highlands. It is truly unfortunate that Dr. Livingstone did not pass on more family history information to his readers.

The best way to determine which Livingston family one is related to is to the participate in the Maclea Livingstone DNA project. The only challenge it that you have to find a male Livingstone descendant as the test requires male Livingstone or Livingston DNA. As my ancestor Miles livington b.1775 at Morvern came from Morvern it is possible that he is related to Donald Livingstone of Savary, MOrvern the hero of Culloden. DNA testing of my Livingston cousin has proven that Miles IS NOt related to Baron Livingstone ancestral line or that of Dr. David LIvingstone's ancestors regretably but my Livingstons are stll related to a group of highland Livingston famlies that lived in the Morvern and neighbouring Mull area none the less according to the test results. If you have any brothers or cousins with the name Livingston whose fathers were Livingstons or Livingstones participating in the Clan Maclea Livingstone's Society DNA project is the best way to find out which LIvingston or Livingstone family you are related to.

If you could do a brief ancestral line from your grandfather Livingston backswards as far back as you can go and indicate who was born in Scotland and who was born in Australia that would be helpful for me to better understand your history. Please include the names of your direct ancestors wive's if you have that info as it will make it easier for us locate info if there is any. When did you Livingston ancestors arrive in Australia?

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Amanda,
We were contacted a few years ago by a lady from Australia who had Australian records indicating that her Livingston ancestor was a grandson of Angus Livingston b. 1773 of Bras d'or Boularderie, Cape Breton. She gave me the name but unfortunately it has long since slipped my mind. I think she contacted us at the old Maclea Livingstone Forum. I do remember he left Cape Breton in the 1860's or 1840's for Australia and the name of the Grandson she had from the Australia corresponded with a known grandson of old Angus. If I could find that old posting.

regards,

Donald
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Hello Donald,

I was loking things up and was wondering if the forum information is:
http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/forum/show-m ... sp?ID=3652
Angus Livingston, born 1773, son Alexander, born 1806, his son Angus, born 1840 at Big Bras d'Or, Cape Breton presumably "disappeared in Australia" in 1860.
He is my great grandfather. Went by the name Charles Angus Livingston. I have his marriage certificate which shows him to be the son of Alexander Livingston and Isabella Deson. I have his death certificate which shows him born about 1840 in Nova Scotia and arrived in Australia about 1860.
I have much more info as well. Contact me.
Written by Glenda McPherson on 14 March 2008 in the old forum.
OR

http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/forum/show-m ... sp?ID=2484
Hey :)

I just stumbled on this site and thought that I would comment. Angus Livingston b 1773 was my GGGGF. Alexander Laughlin Livingston was my GF. My Father William J. Livingston is burried along with all these other Livingstons in the St. James Cemetary in Big Bras d'Or in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia Canada.

Sharon
Written by Sharon (ie. "Wolkies" on this forum) http://clanlivingstone.info/forum/viewt ... t=10#p6439
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Canadian Livingstone

Hi David,

Brilliant. Thank-you very much for finding that. I took a look yesterday through the old forum and came up with nothing. Great stuff. Its Glenda that is descended from Angus Livingston's grandson that went to Australia. I hope that she contacts the forum again as I it would be great if could submit copies of those Australian documents to the Society. It would be great to have that documented evidence of the Cape Breton, Nova Scotia -Australia LIvingston connection. Her ancestor Angus Livingston b.1773 did not indicate precisely where he came from in Scotland went he settled in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in the early 1800's however we know from his land records that he named his property he received from the Crown in Cape Breton Kilninian which as you probably know is a Parish in Northern Mull where Livingstons that settled in Nova Scotia and PEI frequently originated. Therefore one would suspect that Glenda and Sharon's ancestor originated from Mull in a village in Kilninian Parish.

You may recall early on in the history of the forum mention of an ANgus Livingston and Margaret Hall. The THe Baptismal records of their children indicate they were living in Mull in the early 1800's but not Kilninian Parish and their children are completely different from those documented in the Cape Breton records of Angus Livingston of Boularderie. Regretably there was some confusion with the two Angus Livingstons the one married to Margaret Hall is believed by some to be the Angus Livingston born in the 1780's and living at Jura in the 1841 Scottish census. This Angus LIvingston is according to the 1841 census and Army pensioner and said to be a Chelsea Pensioner perhaps included in that list. THe Angus Livingston b. 1773 from Mull that settled in Boularderie, Bras d'or Victoria County Cape Breton according to his land petition was a Naval veteran of the Napoleonic War that served on the Royal George, a ship I have been recently researching. It was in fact the flag ship of the British Channel Fleet patrolling the channel for enemy ships. What I think sorts out alot of the confusion further is that the Angus LIvingston b.1773 that settled in 1816 or 1819 in Cape Breton, received a land grant and remained with his sons ALexander, Archibald and Roderick in Cape Breton and shows up in the 1841 Census for Cape Breton and did not return to Scotland as some might think. Only his eldest son Laughlin returned to Scotland according to the Cape Breton records.

There is no evidence that ANgus Livingston of Boularderie, Cape Breton is related to Dr. Livingstone nor do we really know the maiden name of his wife. It was not recorded in the Cape Breton records that i have seen. Certainly there is no evidence that it was Margaret Hall or McPhail as was early on suggested.

Glendas information of an Australian connection through the grandson of this Boularderie, Cape Breton ANgus LIvingston b. 1773 seems quite credible and worth looking into. Sharon is a direct ancestor also of the Cape Breton Pioneer Angus Livingston of Boularderie and her family still lives in the original area he settled in Boularderie I understand.

THe CHelsea Pension Records that would include any LIvingstons that served in the Army during the Napoleonic Wars are being released on line in the next few months so it would be worthwhile going through those records at that time and seing if this Angus Livingston that at Jura in 1841 is included in the copied records. John Livingston who believes he has a family connection to this ANgus Livingston of Jura recently reminded me that the Chelsea Pension Records that may include Angus Livingston of Jura are soon to be released to the public online.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi David,

Glenda's follow up message was June 2009 in which she mentions visiting Boularderie, Bras d'or Cape Breton. I will see if we can get in touch with her regarding the documentation she has. I see from Ann Capsticks web page on Angus Livingstone. b.1773 of Boularderie that she has a son of ANgus Livingston's son ALexander with a son Angus Livingston born in 1840 in Cape Breton. Glendas ancestor Charles ANgus Livingston was born in 1840 so I presume it is same person obviously named after the original ANgus Livingston Cape Breton pioneer from Mull. She also indicates that the marriage record from Australia stated that Charles ANgus Livingstron was the son of Alexander Livingston and Isabella Deeson. Alexander and Isabella are buried in a cemetery in Bras d'or, Cape Breton.
regards.

Donald
Andrew Lancaster

Post by Andrew Lancaster »

Hi Amanda

Any chance we get your family in the DNA project. We Aussies are already very well represented, but we must keep ahead of the Canadians! :) In all seriousness, it sounds like it would be very interesting to know which other Livingstones your family matches.

Best Regards
Andrew
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I'll echo Andrew's comments--could go a long way to understanding your ancestry!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Andrew and Kyle,

Regarding the descendants of ANgus Livingston of Boularderie, Bras d'or Cape Breton, Nova Scotia living in Canada I have noticed two more likely individuals, one a Livingston by name one not. I agree with your sentiments. I am hoping that decendants of Angus Livingston of Boularderie Cape Breton can be located in both Cape Breton, Nova Scotia Canada and Australia and can be encouraged to participate in the DNA project.

regards,

Donald
Jane M Livingstone

Post by Jane M Livingstone »

I read with interest the information about Dr David's grandparents. The John Livingstone who married Flora McLean at Rheudle, I believe, was my ggg grandfather. I have his marriage at 1796 but cannot get back further than that. Although I do have information further back, I have been unable so far to confirm it and the dates are conflicting. Apparently, two generations before John was a Duncan who was at Culloden who married the daughter of McLean of Coll (apparently, the sister of the young Coll who showed Johnson and Boswell around Mull and who drowned, but I cannot find out any information about this and the McLeans deny it). The Alexander born 1802 was my gg grandfather. In my family records is the story that we are related to David but through an uncle perhaps of Catherine Livingstone. I have a diagram created by my uncle (with question marks all over it, mind you). The diagram had David's grandparents as Donald who married Catherine, a Livingstone descended from Donald who saved the banner, then our direct descendent was a Donald born about 1709 with a connection to the banner Donald but not sure what (parent, uncle?). The family tree I have is labelled "The Livingstones of Appin" yet other stories say we are Achnacree Livingstones, and my grandfather used to talk about the Livingstones buried at Morvern. They seemed to move to Mull under the protection of the McLeans (possibly after Culloden?) although apparently the marriage to the Coll McLeans didn't go down well with them so the move may have been related to that incident.