A Livingston Family

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kyle MacLea

Re: A Livingston Family

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Good find on one of the UEL families--anyone out there connect with this Livingston family?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta and Kyle,

Daniel Livingston was said to have served with Fraser;s Highlanders in the 1750's but he is not listed in the surviving list that included a few Livingstons oddly enough. I think the notion was that he was at Quebec in 1759 with Fraser's Highlanders. After the regiment was disbanded around 1760 some from the regiment were granted land in America and Daniel is said to have received such a grant.
regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Good info as always, Donald. It would be nice to know definitively what happened to him and his family.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

Daniel came up from New York State around the time of the American Revolution and with several of his sons petitioned the Government of Upper Canada in the late 1780's for a land grant. I understand that as Roberta mentioned that Daniel received a land grant or land grants in Vermont or neighbouring New York State in the 1760's but I have not seen the original military grant or grants. I stumbled across their later Upper Canada land petitions when I was doing research on James Livingston another Livingston from New York State that not far from Daniel and his sons in Upper Canada in the 1790's. The descendant of James Livingston was someone that I think you or Andrew referred to me a couple of years ago. This lady I think was in touch with a descendant of Daniel Livingston who wrote much of the history of the Daniel Livingston family in Upper Canada. Not to be confused with my ancestor Miles Livingston's youngest son Daniel Livingston the millwright from Acton, Ontario.
The lady was descended from this James Livingston and Elizabeth Kelsey I think it was. Daniel and his sons and James Livingston settled in what is today Eastern Ontario. The descendant and I have not found any proof that Daniel and James are related. There is some indication in some of the Ontario Census records that James Livingston unlike Daniel might be of a New York State German family that changed their name to Livingston much as some of those in Pennsylvania did. I recently have been researching Fraser Highlanders and some of the other highland regiments that Livingstons served in however I could not find Daniel listed in one surviving list of enlisted men serving in the Fraser Highlanders circa about 1760 I think it was. Interestingly there were four or five Livingstons recorded serving under Campbells and a McDonnell I think it was that would have been at Quebec in 1759.

regards,

Donald