Livingstones of Tranent

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Livingstones of Tranent

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Guy,
Note to Guy: I have updated this in 2016, added some additional info and made a one change to Generation no. 5 it should read Alexander Livingston and Elizabeth Hog and their son in generation 4 is still James Livingston married to Sarah wood but his birth date has been changed to August 12, 1763.

Here are your probable ancestors according to the Scotish records:
Please note this information has been updated and corrected in 2016
1.David Livingston b. Tranent, East Lothian Nov. 10 1856 d. November 2, 1901 in Stockton, Newcastle, NSW, Australia m. June 22,1880 in District of Old Marcher, Aberdeen, Jessie Stout b. January 19, 1862 Lerwick parish, Shetland, Scotland Parents: Oliver Stout sailor, ship master and merchant services and Louisa Williamson
2.William Livingston b. June 15, 1815 Tranent, East Lothian Coal miner d. unknown after 1881 m. Margaret Landales or Landells of Tranent, East Lothian b. January 20, 1816 baptized Feb. 4, 1816 d. February 11, 1883 Tranent Parish, Haddington. Parents: Archibald Landells coalminer and Jane Jeffrey
3.Alexander Livingston b. March 3,1789 ( or March 22,1789) Tranent, East Lothian m. March 24, 1809 Tranent Parish, East Lothian, Janet Mark b. January 5, 1789 baptized January 19,1789 Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. aft. 1851 Parents: daughter of James Mark and Jean Craig of Tranent Parish
4.James Livingston b.Aug. 21,1763 of Tranent Parish, East Lothian m. 1780's Sarah Wood
5. Alexander Livingston b. unknown in Tranent Parish, East Lothian m. December 25,1751 in Tranent Parish, East Lothian Elizabeth Hog b. Tranent Parish, East Lothian
6. William Livingston b. unknown m. May 8, 1730 Tranent Parish, East Lothian Margaret Innes b. unknown (probably)

regards,

Donald
GUY

Post by GUY »

DEATH CERTIFICATE.pdf
This is the copy of my great great grandfathers death certificate . Thank you all for all the hard work on finding out so much about my family...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Guy,

Happy to help out a Livingston. The death record you sent also reinforces my notion that David's mother was a Margaret Landles. Her maiden name on David's Tranent Parish, East Lothian birth record was quite difficult to read. At first I thought it was Handles but eventually one way or another I determined that what looked like an H was actually an L. Some of the handwriting on these old records makes the names challenging to decipher from time to time. I checked the census records for Tranent and sure enough there was a miner named William Landles living in Tranent Parish in the mid 1800's and I figured out that there were other Landles in the parish so I figured that David's mother likely was a Landles or something like that. Thanks for sending us the death record to help futher clarify things.

regards,

Donald
Pobriensydney

Post by Pobriensydney »

Hello
Thank goodness I found this thread after googling. The David Livingstone you are referring to, who died in the mining accident at Stockton, is related to me.

Phillip O'Brien is my name, from Sydney Australia. The David Livingstone I mentioned above is my great great grandfather.

My great grandfather is David Livingstone, the son of miner David mentioned above, and Jessie Livingstone.

My great grandfather David had 2 children, one being Gladys Jackson nee Livingstone who was my grandmother.

I am piecing together bits and pieces to trace my Livingstone ancestry and any further information would be appreciated.

I have photos of my great grandfather David, who incidentally served Australia in WW1 at aged just 14. He married Florence. Hansen in 1919 and they had 2 children, one being Gladys as mentioned and a son David Alexander Livingstone.

Not only am I keen to find out more about my family but also how the explorer David Livingstone ties into my family tree, as word passed down from my great grandfather was that we are related to the famous explorer. Even boasting family portraits of the explorer that were passed down through generations.

If anyone can assist with any info that would be appreciated. My email address is pobracing@hotmail.com

Yours sincerely,

Phillip O'Brien
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Phillip,

The ancestry information contained in the "Livingstones Of Tranent" forum is pretty much all that I found of significance regarding the ancestral line and origins of your great-great grandfather David Livingston or Livingstone of Tranent, East Lothian who ended up settling in Australia in the 1870's or 1880's I presume. I don't have any Australian info on David's family unless the gentleman who earlier posted an inquiry which developed into a a collection of forum Postings "Livingstones of Tranent" included some of it in his information. I am glad this info "Livingstones of Tranent" on the forum has been helpful to you in tracking down your great-great grandfather from Scotland. It looks like you are related to the gentleman that originally contacted the forum regarding your great-great grandfather.

Regarding a family connection to Dr. David Livingstone there is so far no historical, genealogical or genealogical dna test results showing a Dr. Livingstone family connection with a Livingstone family of old Tranent Parish, East Lothian Scotland origin. I understand from the parish records that the 19th Century Tranent Parish, East Lothian Livingstons were descended from an old lowland Livingston family in lowland East Lothian and I don' t know of a connection of this old lowland family with Dr. Livingstone's family that lived in highland Western Argyllshire (Mull and Isle of Ulva) and later after 1792 Blantyre, Lanarkshire in lowland Scotland where Dr. Livingstone's grandfather Neil Livingstone found work in a mill.

Your Livingstons that resided in Tranent Parish, East Lothian seem to be descended from or related to a William Livingston and Margaret Innes. I am leaning towards the notion that your Livingstons are descended from William Livingston and Margaret Innes. This might be the ancestral line. Based on a study of the surviving Tranent Parish Livingston birth records it is a good guess.
Please Note this ancestral line has been updated and corrected in 2016.
1. William Livingston and Margaret Innes m. May 8,1730 Tranent Parish, East Lothian, Scotland
2. Alexander Livingston m. December 25,1751 in Tranent Parish, East Lothian Elizabeth Hog
3. James Livingston b. Aug. 26, 1763 Tranent Parish, East Lothian m. 1780's Sarah Wood
4. Alexander Livingston b. March 22, 1789 Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. bef.1841 m. March 24, 1809 Tranent Parish, East Lothian Janet Mark b. Jan. 5, 1789 baptized Jan. 19, 1789 in Elphinstone, Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. unknown after 1851 Parents: daughter of James Mark and Jean Craig
5. William Livingston b. June 15, 1815 Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. unknown m. Margaret Landels or Landells b.January 20, 1816 baptized Feb. 4,1816 in Tranent Parish, East Lothian d. Feb. 11, 1883 Tranent Parish, Haddington Parents: Archibald Landells coalminer and Jane Jeffrey
6. David Livingston b. Nov 10, 1856 Tranent parish, East Lothian m.June 22, 1880 in Old Marcher, Aberdeen Jessie Stout b. January 19, 1862 in Lerwick Parish, Shetland, Scotland Parents: Oliver Stout sailor, ship master and merchant services and Louisa Williamson
7. David Livingstone

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Historian
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Guy and Phillip,

Please note that I have updated and made of a couple of corrections to your ancestral line info with the Tranent Parish, East Lothian Livingston ancestors. Also found the David Wyse Livingston of the U.S. is a distant cousin of yours.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone
Canadian Livingstone

Hi David,

I would suspect that Scotlands People has access to all of the existing Church of Scotland Parish records that exists in the Scottish Archives. Your time in Scotland is valuable to you and relatively short so you may not want to waste it searching for an additional parish record that in all liklihood does not exist. I would think that the parish records that Scotlands People have are pretty much all of it pertaining to you family I am sorry to say. I am going to try and read the name of that village again in the 1751 marriage record of Alexander Livingston of Tranent Parish and his wife Elizabeth Hog. That might be another clue.

regards,

Donald
Ozlivingstone

Post by Ozlivingstone »

John Dean here from Sydney Australia. My mother is Agnes Livingstone and we seem to come from Tranent with some of the same ancestors. My email address is john.dean@bigpond.com.