Livingstones of Tranent

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
GUY

Livingstones of Tranent

Post by GUY »

LIVINGSTONE 2.pdf
DAVID LIVINGSTONE.pdf
Hi, My name is Guy Carrion (Livingstone). I currently live in Bend, Oregon with my wife Melissa and we met Ginger Sanders (Livingston) and family by chance at the local Highland games in Madras. After researching and speaking with family members in Australia, here is what I know. My Great Great Grandfather, David Livingstone, was born in Tranent, Haddingtonshire ,Scotland on November 10th, 1856. His father was William Livingstone, and his mother Margret (landles) Livingstone . My great great grandfather was a profesional runner in Scotland. This is how he made his living. I have a list of his running records that I can post. He ran from 1872 to 1886 and has some amazing times, such as a 4 minute 17 second 1 mile run. He moved to Sydney, Australia in 1884 and later to Newcastle NSW where he settled with his family. After his running career, David worked as a miner at the Stockton Colliery where he was killed in a mining accident in 1901. He and his wife had three daughters and two sons. His wife Jessie (stout) Livingstone died four months after David's death due to complications in the birth of my mom's grandmother Louise or Dolly as she was called. The older sisters were Christine and Maggie and the brothers were Thomas and David. I will post more information as I receive it from my grandmother in Australia. It was a pleasure meeting Ginger and her family and look forward to corresponding with the clan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GUY on Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Just to say Hello

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Guy,

Welcome to the Maclea Livingstone Society Forum. As Clan historian I may be able to fill you in on a few more details regarding your Livingstone ancestral line.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Maclea Livingstone Society
Kyle MacLea

Re: Livingstones of Tranent

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi Guy,

Welcome--and so glad that Ginger made contact with you in Oregon. What great news, and we're so glad you're here to share information about your family, and perhaps learn more. We would welcome any contributions you or your grandmother have. We would be really interested in old family photos or objects, stories of the family, as well as the hard genealogical facts.

Also, if there is any male in your family with the Livingston/e surname, we would welcome their involvement in the DNA Project, which currently has tested over 170 men, and can accurately match clansmen to any of several main branches of the clan and a lot of smaller branches as well. All this involves is a cheek swab--and could all be coordinated by you even if you are not of that paternal line, if you can find a male relative with the Livingston/e surname (generally) who is willing to be tested. Let us know if you want any information.

Thanks again for dropping in--the more you share, the more we may be able to help.

I'd also like to encourage you to join the Clan Society. PM me if you'd like more information, or browse around the Forum and clan webspace and learn more!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hello Guy,

Your ancestor David Livingston born November 10,1855 or 1856 at Tranent, Tranent parish, East Lothian in Lowland Scotland according to his Scottish birth record a son of coal miner William Livingston born abt. 1815 at Tranent, Tranent Parish,Haddingtonshire, East Lothian and his wife Margaret Landales also of a local coal mining family born abt. 1817 or 1818 also born at Tranent. A William Landales coal miner residing at Tranent in the 1850's and 1860's may have been Margaret's brother or some other kin. It is a small family in Tranent. I found no mention of a Jessie Stout or a Stout family in either Tranent Parish or East Lothian where your Livingston family lived for apparently a very long time.

As the old article on David states that he worked in a coal mine at the time of his death and was born at Tranent on November 10th 1856 I think I have the found your ancestor David Livingston and his family in the Scottish records. The family lived at what was called the Coal Nook in village of Tranent in the 1850's and 1860's apparently. William Livingston is residing at Tranent in the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, and 1881 census then he seems to disappear. I could not find a death record in East Lothian County for him however. I think that his wife Margaret died sometime between 1871 and 1881 as she does appear with him in the 1881 Census at Tranent. William is a boarder by the time of the 1881 census and not living with family. In the 1881 Census there is a WIlliam Livingston born abt. 1815 at Tranent a solitary Boarder but no signs of the rest of the family at Tranent. Not sure if this is David's father William. Could the family have gone to Australlia after 1871? I assume from the article that you included that your ancestor David Livingstone was in Australia by the early 1880's if not before.

I believe that William Livingston was born or baptised on 02/07/1815 in Tranent Parish,East Lothian County, Scotland or born June 15, 1815. HIs parents recorded as Alexander Livingston and Janet Mark. Alexander Livingston died sometime before the 1841 Census. The 1851 Census confirms that Janet Mark (Mrs Alexander Livingston) widower was very likely William of Coal Nook, Tranent mother and therefore Alexander Livingston and Janet Mark are almost certainly your ancestors. The 1851 census indicates tha Janet Mark was born in Elphinston, East Lothian. I dont know where Alexander was born though I may be able find their East Lothian County marriage record which may tell us where Alexander lived at the time of his marriage to Janet Mark.

1841 Tranent Parish, Tranent New Row (earliest census records of your kin)
Widow Livingstone age 49 (|This would be Janet Mark the widow Alexander Livingstone)
William Coalminer age 25 (a few years before his marriage to Margaret Landales of Tranent)
Margaret age 20
David age 17
Hugh age 14
Janet age 10

1851 Tranent Parish, Tranent Coal Nook
Janet Mark age 62 widow b. Elphinston, East Lothian (Mrs.Alexander Livingstone) (Note: Alexander Livingston married Janet Mark daughter of James Mark March 24,1809)
Hugh Livingstone age 24
Janet age 20

1861 Tranent Parish, Tranent address: Coal Nook
William Livingston age 45
Margaret age 43 (Margaret Landales)
Janet age 16
Archibald age 14
William age 11
Margaret age 10
Jane age 8
David age 5 (your David Livingston)

1871 Tranent Parish Tranent
Wiliam Livingston age 55 coal miner
Margaret age 54
David age 15

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Maclea Livingstone Forum
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Guy,

Welcome to the Clan MacLea (Livingstone) forum. Ginger had forwarded your contact information to me and I hope you have received the email I sent last week. We are all happy to see you joining in and learning more about your Livingstone family.

Feel free to contact me any time at either the email address or phone number in the email I sent over to you.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

May I refer you to the thread "Original Livingstone's in Mid - Lothian". Posted April 2, 2010; by Jewel. Alexander Livingstone and Janet Mark.

Regards;

Roberta
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I thought this sounded familiar, Roberta.

Here is that original thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=982

You know, Guy--this original thread makes DNA testing your family even more interesting. The DNA Project may be able to come up with some funds to subsidize your family's test a little bit if you can find a suitable candidate!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Thank-you Roberta and Kyle for that. My earlier interest in East Lothian and Mid Lothian was spurred by at least one of our DNA project past participants I was in contact with last year had Livingston family origins in one of those Counties. Now it looks like Guy's family originated from the same general area and yes as Roberta and Jewel unearthed in the old parish entries these Livingstons that lived at Tranent were of old Lowland Livingston family origin having lived there in the earlyk 1600's and likely well before that.
I see that Jewel located a number of Tranent East Lothian families including interestingly enough Alexander Livingston and Janet Mark. Interesting to go back in the past to what we were doing then.
The only thing about all this is that i am not certain that the particular family I found at Tranent, East Lothian in the 19th century records is Guys though the location seems to be about right.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Guy added in some documents on his ancestor in the first post: have another look if you missed it....

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1065#p9635

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

It must be the same David that I have located and his family. November 10, 1855 in the original birth record for my David and November 10 1856 in the old article that Guy sent us. That cannot be a coincidence. And according to the article at the time of his death, David was a coal miner as was his father William according to the earlier census information at Tranent. I dont see a Jessie Stouts in the information I located but everything else is so far pointing to this being the right Tranent, Haddington, East Lothian family. I think that you and Andrew might be interested in knowing that our Kevin Livingston's ancestors also are connected to an old Livingston family in Tranent, East Lothian. Thats why I was so interested in East Lothian and neighbouring Mid Lothian Livingstons from the 1600's and 1700's last year. I have Kevin's family tree he sent me and there is the Tranent Livingstone info that Jewel located. Both Kevin's ancestors and Guys are mentioned in it. They are not the same families but as both on Jewels list as having resided in Trenant Parish they may be somehow related. As Roberta pointed out Jewel's list included ALexander Livingston and Janet Mark and family which are as far I can tell from own research Guy's relatives.

regards,

Donald