James Livingstone(Riccarton)

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
casa

James Livingstone(Riccarton)

Post by casa »

Hi once again! Hoping someone may be able to help.Have been very busy searching for the other Livingstone branch of my family as I am at dead end at present with the livingstone line that supposedly leads to Dr David Livingston(e). Still no further than James Livingstone and Catherine McNiven, although had some success with the McNiven side.
With this new line which begins with my grandmother I have managed to get as far as my 4xgreat grand father who is also a James Livingstone ( just to make life complicated), but he was born on 21Dec,1800 in Riccarton, Ayrshire,Scotland. He was the son of an Alexander Livingston(e) and Margaret Lindsay. I cannot find any information on Alexander other than he was born abt. 1769 in Riccarton,Ayrshire,Scotland and was posssibly the son of a Daniel Livingston(e).
This Livingstone Line runs from my grandmother( Livingstone),Arthur James Livingstone 1876,James Livingstone 1852,James Livingston(e)1821, Alexander Livingston(e)1769.
I am not sure why my great grandfather came to Australia as most of my ancestors have all emigrated to Canada and USA from what I have discovered.It was my great grandfather who married a Currie which leads back to the other Livingstone Line previously researching which came from Islay.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: James Livingstone(Riccarton)

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello Casa,

I noticed in the early 1841 Scottish census that there is a small group of about 19 Livingstons residing at Riccarton in the County of Ayrshire. Ten years later in the 1851 Census there are only 7 Livingstons recorded at Riccarton. I believe your ancestor's Alexander Livingston and Margaret Lindsay were probably married October 1 1794 at Riccarton. Among others in 1841 there are two coal miners Daniel born 1811 and ALexander born 1816 living at Riccarton and a widow Margaret Livingsotn born abt. 1800. I could not find your James Livingston born abt. 1800 at Riccarton in the 1841 Census.

regards,

Donald