Malcolm Livingstone - Salem Mass.

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Livingstone_PEI

Malcolm Livingstone - Salem Mass.

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi All

As you know the Livingstone's of Lot 54/53 in PEI have been somewhat of a mystery for me and I think I found a huge piece of the puzzle. Malcolm was a sea captain and his mother Sarah was in Cardigan River PEI. Sarah had a nephew Joseph and these two people, Joseph and Malcolm are who she willed her property to. I have records from the archives Malcolm had ties to Salem Massachusetts and he had ships registered in Charlottetown PEI. His mother Sarah was the Widow of John Livingstone, but I knew no more about this John than just his name. I have a deed in 1803 of a John Livingstone having property across the river in Georgetown.

I found this
http://books.google.ca/books?id=qmRIAAA ... em&f=false

I'm betting this is the Malcolm Livingstone from PEI, the son of John Livingstone and Sarah from Cardigan, PEI. If this is who I think is, his father was John Livingstone, born Fort Wiliam, Argyleshire. Now looking fro response to this finding.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Other details regarding Malcolm, of Cardigan River, is he had a daughter Sarah who died April 1851 in Salem Massachusetts and I have seen the obituary at the archives for this. I also have a document in 1856 where Malcolm of Salem Massachusetts gave Attorney Daniel Brennan control over his interests on PEI. According to the US census before the daughters death, Malcolm had a son John W. Livingston, who was two years older than his sister. The daughter died a the age of 2 years.

Barry
Livingstone_PEI

Re: Malcolm Livingstone - Salem Mass.

The area of John and Sarah Livingstone's farm in lot 54 is now in the area of Newport, Prince Edward Island. I think it is ironic that Newport is the last name of both of Malcolm's wives in this book. Is it a coincidence? Hmmmm maybe.
Livingstone_PEI

Not sure how many of you followed the link, but it looks like the John Livingston who arrived in Georgetown, PEI in 1803 is Malcolm's father. According to the Essex Institute, Malcolm became a member of the Masons in 1857. Now more interesting is it lists Malcolm's parents names and where they originate from. His father John was from Fort William, Argylshire, Scotland and his mother from Southnist W. Islands, Scotland. It says that Malcolm was born in Townsend, Me. but I believe he was born on PEI. It lists him as been married twice, Sarah Newport first and then her sister later. He married Sarah, April 28th, 1844 in Boston and it list his parents as being John and Sarah Livingston. He married Sarah's sister Mary June 18th, 1857. Mary died two years later Oct., 23, 1859. In 1851 their daughter Sarah Ann Livingstone died at the age of 3 and I found that obituary at the archives in Charlottetown awhile back. Apparently Malcolm went to Salem Massachusetts in 1834. Malcolm and Sarah had one other child, John M. Livingston, who was born in 1846, being two years older than his sister Sarah who had passed away. I also found a document at the archives before about "Malcolm Livingston of Salem Massachusetts leaving island and residing abroad for sometime". He gave power of attorney to Daniel Brennan, Attorney, in his absence, dated 1856. Malcolm had three sisters according to his Mother's will but they were not named.

Also of interest....Joseph Livingston's daughter was married in Salem, June 4 1901, at the age of 25 to James P. Ronan. Joseph is Malcolm's nephew. So it is interesting a relative of Joseph's lived in the same general vicinity.

I guess the speculation is whether Malcolm's father John Livingston is a brother of the Livingston brothers that arrived in Livingston Cove. There has always been speculation another brother went to PEI, and this John would fit into that scenario. I do not know of any Livingston's from this line still living on PEI, and if anyone has anything to add here, that would help figure this out, it would be helpful. It lists Malcolm's birthdate as June 21st, 1814.
Last edited by Livingstone_PEI on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Wow! Great finds and really fleshes out the family. I hope others are reading with as much interest as me!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Livingstone_PEI

Yeh Kyle

It is exciting stuff, but don't know if we will ever be able to prove it for sure. Here is the post from the Essex Journal so no one has to follow the link.

604 Malcolm Livingston son of John of Fort William Argyleshire Scotland and Sarah Campbell Livingston of Southnist W Islands born in Townsend Me 21st June 1814 married 1st Sarah A Newport 2d her sister Mary E Newport both of Salem Came to Salem 1834 Master mariner Admitted to the Lodge 2d Dec 1857
Livingstone_PEI

Oh something I forgot too....a couple of things.

Malcolm married Mary June 18, 1857 and she died Oct 23, 1859.

The address in Salem where Malcolm lived in 1855 was 6 Walnut Street.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,

This early information of yours regarding Malcolm Livingston of Massachusetts has further info confirming a PEI connection so if put together all the pieces we have regarding Malcolm it leads to no other conclusion than Malcolm is the son of the John and Sarah Livingston of lot 53 and the Uncle of Joseph Livingston of PEI. That document mentioning Malcolm Livingston of Salem, Mass has financial interests in PEI is definitely convincing that he had interests in both Massachusetts and PEI where his family were. We are glad you pursued this and brought Malcolm to the attention of the Society. I wonder when that Essex Lodge book was published and the biographical lodge entry on Malcolm was written. He joined the lodge in 1857 so it would be no earlier than that. I didnt see a date for the original lodge book.
Livingstone_PEI wrote:Hi All

As you know the Livingstone's of Lot 54/53 in PEI have been somewhat of a mystery for me and I think I found a huge piece of the puzzle. Malcolm was a sea captain and his mother Sarah was in Cardigan River PEI. Sarah had a nephew Joseph and these two people, Joseph and Malcolm are who she willed her property to. I have records from the archives Malcolm had ties to Salem Massachusetts and he had ships registered in Charlottetown PEI. His mother Sarah was the Widow of John Livingstone, but I knew no more about this John than just his name. I have a deed in 1803 of a John Livingstone having property across the river in Georgetown.

I found this
http://books.google.ca/books?id=qmRIAAA ... em&f=false

I'm betting this is the Malcolm Livingstone from PEI, the son of John Livingstone and Sarah from Cardigan, PEI. If this is who I think is, his father was John Livingstone, born Fort Wiliam, Argyleshire. Now looking fro response to this finding.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Other details regarding Malcolm, of Cardigan River, is he had a daughter Sarah who died April 1851 in Salem Massachusetts and I have seen the obituary at the archives for this. I also have a document in 1856 where Malcolm of Salem Massachusetts gave Attorney Daniel Brennan control over his interests on PEI. According to the US census before the daughters death, Malcolm had a son John W. Livingston, who was two years older than his sister. The daughter died a the age of 2 years.

Barry
Livingstone_PEI

Hi Donald

I checked and the book was published in 1861.

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,

Well that pretty much authenticates that info as close to original source info as possible and challenges any much later "after the fact" notion that the Fort William John Livingston was the Judique, Cape Breton John Livingston when infact we know from this the Fort William, Argyllshire John Livingstone a PEI settler married to Sarah Campbell and father to Alexander Livingston of Lot 53/54 and Capt Malcolm Livingston of Salem Mass. We have a very old lodge document that leaves no doubt. Too bad things got mixed ups so long ago. Well I am just glad you found that old lodge record. It does clear things up in terms of which John Livingston came from where in Fort William,Argyllshire I should think.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Barry,

Information I found that might be of interest to future researchers of Malcolm Livingston who died on September 13,1882.

Poughkeepsie Daily Eagle September 14,1882:

"Malcolm Livingston , an old man about 68 years of age, while attempting to cross the tracks of the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad at Mt. Vernon, tuesday was struck by the express and instantly killed. Mr Livingston was the Chief of Police of the Village of Mt. Vernon and leaves a widow and children"

There were a few other articles one lengthy article in regards to his accident with witnesses testimony.

Another piece also lengthy about Malcolm's son, Malcolm Livingston who died at the age of 22 on January 11,1892, apparently in the year about 1890 was the Chief of Police in Mt. Vernon. This article was rather strange as it talks about many burglary's of the wealthy citizens of Mt. Vernon who received no help from the Chief of Police.

If anyone needs to read these articles just let me know and I can post them.

Jewel