Lea in the Poltalloch Writs Lands of Dunardarie

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kyle MacLea

Lea in the Poltalloch Writs Lands of Dunardarie

Post by Kyle MacLea »

In research done by Patricia Adams on the Poltalloch Writs and published in The Genealogist, 1999, she finds this record:
"At Inverary, 6 Nov. 1633. Precept of clare constat by Lord Lorne, addressed to his beloved John Lea McKerreis in Barrary, for the infeftment of Archibald McCavis, now of Tonardarie, as son and heir of deceased John McCawis of Tonardarie."
In this context, it appears likely that "Lea" is to indicate "Leech" or physician.

There do appear to be some uses of Lea or MacLea as a professional patronymic/surname indicating medical profession. I do not think this is the most common derivation (son of Dunsleeve) as we've previously discussed. But there do appear to be a few mentions that are legitimate for the professional patronymic as well. It may be that there are a few small families within the Clan that derive from such men. I have previously pointed out that the McLeas of Kilmodan parish, as shown in the story from the Account of McLea of physician McLeas who were allied with the Lamonts, are shown in the records as both McLea and Leitch. Which is very interesting to me because there are some indications that my family may come from Glendauruel hamlet in Kilmodan parish before Bute, which may put them in this family.

Anyway, just archiving this document here.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com