Free Military Record Searches through Nov 14!

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kyle MacLea

Free Military Record Searches through Nov 14!

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Ancestry is offering free Military Record searches through Nov 14!

http://link.ancestry.com/u.d?EYGqF1duWK ... z0ks=11861

Hope it's helpful!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Jill Richmond

Re: Free Military Record Searches through Nov 14!

Post by Jill Richmond »

Thank you very much for this, Kyle. I managed to find the military records of my great uncle, Robert Rae Livingston. During World War 1 he served with The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders in France, and also on the Struma Front in Bulgaria, part of the Gallipoli campaign. He was badly wounded in the chest and arm and discharged from the army as unfit for service on 10th December 1917. His military character was described as 'very good' and the report went on to say 'he was severly wounded in action. A steady and reliable man'. I did not know any of this until today, although I did know that his health had suffered as a result of the war. His records have made very moving reading.

Regards,

Jill
Jill Richmond
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Jill--I am so glad you had success with this! I was less than impressed with my searches (although all my great uncles' WWI and WWII draft cards are there), but I was hoping for some actual US service records, but I'm not sure Ancestry has been able to get access to these, so the US information is sparse. I did find a cousin who was in WWI as a Canadian soldier, though.

I hope others have as much success--a character assessment and some knowledge about what he suffered--that is truly priceless! I'm so glad you were able to find that!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

I, too, was less than impressed. I couldn't find much on my Granddad, and nothing on my Uncle or my Dad. I couldn't remember the name of my G...GGrandfather on my Mom's side that was one of the Green Mountain Boys back in 1776 but then again, I was at work at the time. I should search for him when I get home.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

A son of my great-great-great-great Uncle served in the Dutchess County. NY militia during the Revolutionary War but sent them a letter of resignation and later went to New York City where the British were located and he joined a loyalist regiment. He is listed in the militia roll there and may his resignation info should be in some records somewhere but I am not certain that his resignation letter survived. The fact that he resigned however seems to have been copied down by someone before 1900 and the British and Canadian Archives have information regarding to his enlistment in a Loyalist regiment in British held New York City around 1778. My great-great-great grandfather came to Canada in 1811 and seems to have missed out on the War of 1812 apparently serving on neither the American or on the British side in a Canadian militia. His brother who arrived a few years later in Canada may have served in the Albany County Militia during the War of 1812 but I found no information to confirm that as yet.

regards,

Donald