McLay - Rankine families to Australia

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
dougmayes

McLay - Rankine families to Australia

Post by dougmayes »

Hello from Australia,
My GG grandmother was Isabella McLay b: abt 1850 d: abt 1880 in New Monkland. Father John McLay m: abt June 1833 not sure of wife? Maybe Mary Love b: abt 1828.
Isabella married Dugald Rankine (father Daniel Rankine)b: 6 July 1846 in New Monkland, m: 21 June 1871 & d: 9 December 1925 in Scotland.
My Mother was Mara Chorlton daughter of Mary (Mara)Love Rankine b: 29 September 1877 in Airdrie, d: 25 August 1956 in Brisbane.
Mums father was George Chorlton b: 12 August 1866 in Cheshire, m: 6 April 1901, d: 16 February 1953 in Brisbane.
Any ties?
Thanks
Doug Mayes
Canadian Livingstone

Re: McLay - Rankine families to Australia

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Doug,
Welcome the Maclea Livingstone Society Forum.
I presume from what you are saying that your ancestor Isabella McLay was from New Monkland which was in the 1800's a part of the County of Lanarkshire in Scotland. We have McLeas and McLays connected to our Society, the forum and the DNA project who have insight into the origins of various families though I dont know that they know of your particlar McLay family. It is however a step in the right direction to contact the Society as you have done so that McLays and Mcleas can be aware of your inquiries in case they can be of some help. There are as you have probably discovered by now several spelling variations of Mclea including Maclea, Macleay, Mclay and so on. Some spelling variations in the 19th century Scottish records may just be the whim of the census taker but I think there is some clear indication from the census records of that century that certain families in certain districts of Scotland preferred a particlar spelling of their name for example Macleay instead of Maclea or Mclay instead of Mclea. Our North American Clan Commissioner Kyle Mclea is like your McLays part of the Mcleas, Mclays, Macleays in Scotland that did not change their name to Livingstone or Livingston as did the highland Argyll Macleas. It is not entirely clear as to why the Macleas in Western Argyll in particular changed their on mass by the 1750's or 1760's, though there are a few theories as to why the highland Maclea clan in Western Argyll went with a name change.

It has been an ongoing effort of our Clan Society since our highland Livingstone ancestors were originally Mcleas or Macleas to discover through historical research and our DNA Project if these various Macleas, McLeas, Macleays, McLays etc who at one time resided in significant numbers throughout Scotland were connected.

Have you done much research on your McLays of New Monkland, Lanarkshire?

regards,

Donald