Livingstones from the area of Dull, Weem, Loch Tay

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Andrew Lancaster

Livingstones from the area of Dull, Weem, Loch Tay

Post by Andrew Lancaster »

I am very interested to find modern descendants of the Livingstones who long lived in the above mentioned area. I found this webpage: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onlan ... family.htm which seems to show a family in Canada.

As I know we have quite a few Canadians on the forum, I wondered if anyone knew this family?

Regards
Andrew
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Livingstones from the area of Dull, Weem, Loch Tay

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Andrew,

Interestingly there were several Livingston families that lived in Perthshire and with the assistance of local emigration societies sailed from Scotland circa 1818 and 1821 and took up settlement in townships in Lanark County, Ontario, Canada. There was an organized effort to settle these Perthshire Scots in the townships of Lanark County at this time. One of those was a Donald and Janet Livingston of the family you mentioned that arrived in 1818 and settled originally in Beckwith Township, Lanark County. By 1821/1822 they seem to be in neighbouring Goulbourn Township. I dont know anything of their descendants but I will see if what is out there. We have been contacted by one person descended from one of these Perthshire Livingstons that settled in Lanark County, Ontario Canada but one hopes that others will contact the forum in the future.

I have noted the names of those several Livingstons that did settle during those early years in Lanark County, Ontario, Canada and you might be interested in knowing that includes Suzanne Livingston's ancestors William Livingston and Isabella Bremner who arrived in 1821 in Lanark County from Perthshire and settled in Lanark Township. Suzanne is involved in the DNA Project and may have further insight on these Livingston families. I dont know that they are related as some came from different parts of Perthshire but some may be. I put together a list of the original Perthshire Livingston settlers in Lanark COunty, Ontario Canada some time ago with the goal of keeping track of them in case present day Livingston descendants from these families should make contact with the forum.

I cant speak about the more distant origins of the other Perthshire Livingstons that settled in Lanark County, Ontario sucha as Donald Livingston with the family you mentioned but it is very certain that Suzannes ancestor William Livingston was of highland Livingstone origin though there is no family information regarding William's family prior to the late 1700's in Perthshire.

regards,

Donald
Andrew Lancaster

Donald

If you or any of our Canadian clansmen can get any contact with any of these families, let it be known that I am willing to pay for the genealogical DNA test involved. Perthshire is right in the middle of Scotland and a potential link area for some of our DNA mysteries.

Best Regards
Andrew
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Andrew,
Hope you had a good holiday.
I am going to keep a lookout and see if I can find any other Livingstones working on their genealogy whose descendants were of these four or five Livingston families that settled in Lanark County, ONtario Canada from Perthshire, Scotland in the early 1800's. At the moment the only one I know of is Suzanne Livingstone whom you already know of from the DNA project whose ancestors William Livingstone and Isabella Bremner were of the Port of Monteith, Perthshire. I should tell you that prior to the 1840's what is today the province of Ontario, Canada was referred to in the records as Upper Canada if you should ever come across that. I probably should mention this to prevent any confusion at some time or another when I am discussing early Ontario highland Livingstone settlers. While there was a significant number of highland Argyllshire Livingstone families that settled in the early 1800's in Atlantic Canada on the east coast at Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and neighbouring Prince Edward Island in larger Counties of Upper Canada throughout the 1800's there were also significant numbers Livingtons from both highlands and lowlands and some Livingstons from Northern counties of Ireland that settled throughout Upper Canada (later Ontario, Canada). Maybe we should post a message with the title Lanark County, Ontario, Canada Livingstones and they might see it in a preliminary internet search and head directly to the forum and contact us. That might be a first step in the process of finding them.

regards,

Donald
Andrew Lancaster

Thanks Donald! I hope you can learn something about these families and get us all in contact.

Regards
Andrew