James Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Re: James Livingston

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

Unfortunately, Keith disappeared from the site around the same time I found it, I've been through all the info he posted, the majority of it ties in with what I had found, most has been confirmed as accurate by www.scotsfamily.com, it's just unfortunate Keith did not pursue the DNA testing further.
In fact, the only major difference we have, I had never thought Dr. Livingstone was a relation, even before DNA testing proved he was definitely not related.

I also tracked down a relation of Keiths in Paisley, I think she married someone called McGibbon, info which I would like to have passed on to him.

From what we have on paper, it would appear that Keith is descended from Gavin, & I'm descended from John, their f. John Livingstone & m. Agnes Edmiston, both of them would be g/sons of Angus & Margaret, pity about the lack of further DNA testing from Keith,

John
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I have tried to contact Keith many times as well. I think he is still around, but I have not been able to have him return my queries.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
deblivingstone

Post by deblivingstone »

Kyle

Yes, please send me details of what's involved with DNA testing & then we'll go from there.
Thanks,
Deb
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Angus Livingston and Donald Livingston of Ross of Mull

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

Just trying to refresh my memory with this earlier posting.
Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi John,

Thought you might find this of interest. I think you are already aware of this but thought it worth knowing.
A check of Livingstons living in the same villages or croft settlements between the years 1800 and 1830 as Angus and Margaret revealed there was one other Livingston family that lived at Kilpatrick during the period when they briefly resided there in the early 1800's which could prove to be critical information. Note Donald and Cirsty Livingston's eldest son seems to be Neil Livingston. Could Donald Livingston be a brother of old ANgus? Your theory that Angus had a father named Neil Livingston who is recorded in the 1779 Argyll tenants list at Shiaba or Shebach could be a possibility. In the 1779 list there is as you well know an Angus age 4 and Donald age 2 sons of Neil Livingston. Interestingly Donald Livingston and ANgus Livingston were crofters around the same time at Kilpatrick.

Interesting Details from Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon Parish records
Donald Livingston crofter at Kilpatrick and later Keeper? at Apolhol (Assapol?) and his wife Cirsty Campbell
Neil Livingston 11/03/1805 Apohol? ( I cant read the writing but it could be Assapol which was near Shiaba and Kilvickeon and a little south of Kilpatrick in south western Ross of Mull)
Jean Livingston 03/07/1807 Kilpatrick croft (located on Ross of Mull)
Hugh Livingston 22/10/1809 Kilpatrick croft
Alexander Livingston 31/05/1812 Kilpatrick croft
John Livingston 06/12/1814 Apohol (Assapol?)
Duncan Livingston 28/02/1817 Apohol (Assapol?)
Cirsty Livingston 26/08/1824 Apohol

Angus Livingston (military) Pensioner and Margaret Hale or Hall
John Livingston o7/02/1805 Kilpatrick (located on Ross of Mull)
Betty Livingston 25/04/1807 Kilpatrick
Cirsty Livingston 30/09/1809 Sebach ( Shiaba also recorded as Sheba) (located on Ross of Mull)
subsequent entries clearly indicate Angus and Margaret and family had a croft at Shiaba on Ross of Mull from about 1809 to at least 1829. The 1841 Census of course indicates that Angus and Margaret and their younger children are residing with them at Urigaig/ Uragaig on the Island of Colonsay recorded at Jura for some reason in the 1841 Census records. As you know some of the family of Donald Livington and Cirsty Campbell settled in Canada and is connected to Dawn Livingstone an Ontario Livingston researcher who is familiar with some of my own research of Esquesing County, Halton County Livingstons. Her Livingstons settled in Grey County, Ontario and later in Esquesing Township where my ancestor great great great grandfather Miles Livingston b.1775 no known relation resided from when acquired the township from the Indians. Dawn's family arrived much later in the 1800's in Esquesing Township. Dawn has done alot of research on the family of Donald and Cirsty. I did not however realize the very probable connection between ANgus Livingston and Donald but now it really is suddenly quite obviously a possibility in my mind. Also note that in the baptismal record of his son John, Donald Livingston is referred to as a "Keeper" of some sort curiously similar to reference in the 1779 Argyll tenants record for Ross of Mull which lists a tenant Neil Livingston age 40 a "Keeper" at Sebach or Sheba. And then sure enough this Donald names his eldest son Neil. Makes you wonder.

Also possible that a Duncan Livingston and his wife Margaret McCormick who were in the same parish at the time may be related to Angus and Donald but am not certain. They were apparently at Creich in 1811 where they wed and the following year their first child John was born at Ardchivaig or Ardchevaig also in South Western Ross of Mull. On a old map of Ross of Mull I also noticed that Ardchevaig is next to a Loch Lye which is today interestingly enough referred to as Loch Asapol. Another map shows Asapol also located beside a small body of water what looks like Loch Asapol. So it kinda looks like Ardchevaig and Asapol were in close proxmity to each along this Loch Lye or Loch Asapol as it is apparently referred to now. So now we know that this Duncan Livingston lived in the early 1800's in very close proximity to Donald Livingston who was at what appears to be a badly spelt Asapol. And Donald lived for a few years at Kilpatrick when Angus Livingston was living in a croft there before he apparently returned to Shiaba.

So I think there may be a connection with Duncan to Angus and Donald perhaps a younger brother not born before the 1779 Argyll tenant list. All I know so far is that Duncan Livingston and his wife Margaret McCormick were married at Creich 03/26/1811 in Kilfinchen and Kilvickeon Parish and that at the time their first child John Livingston was baptised they were living at what looks like Ardchanvaig but is possibly Ardchivaig/Ardchevaig on Ross of Mull as mentioned in the 1759/1760 recruitment list of the Argyll Fencibles where a Liviston was recruited. Creich like Shiaba/ Sheba is in South Western Ross of Mull so it is conceivable that Duncan could be related to Angus and Donald Livingston.

There is also a Neil Livingston of of Tider? or Fider? in Kilfinchen and Kilvickeon Parish who married Mary Henderson 03/03/1818 but I have not found any info as yet connecting them in anyway to Angus, Donald or to Duncan. His name Neil may be some clue as to his family connection to the Neil Livingston that lived at Shiaba, Mull and his two sons Angus and Donald but that would probably be difficult to prove.

In any event according to the Mull Map Assapol, Ardchivaig,Shiaba, Kilvickeon and Kilpatrick and Creich are in close proximity to each other and as such makes it reasonably probable that the few Livingstons that were in these communities in the early 1800's might very well be related. For this reason and a couple of others I think Angus and Donald are the ANgus age 4 and Donald age 2 as listed as sons of Neil Livingston age 40 of Shebach or Shiaba, Ross of Mull in the 1779 Argyll Tenant list. As I said earlier someone with knowledge of the history of Ross of Mull might be a big help in understanding the tenant settlements where your family lived. Certainly I concur with you that your Livingston family roots as best we can tell are to be found in South Western Ross of Mull. Perhaps somewhere amongst the ruins of the deserted stone croft settlements are the remains of Angus and Donald Livingston's croft.

regards

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Another interesting possibility looking at the baptismal records for Kifinichen Parish is that Angus Livingston and Margaret Hale left the croft they were in Kilpatrick shortly after their child was baptised in 1807 and a few months later Donald Livingston Cirsty Campbell occupied it as the baptismal records subsequently suggest that before the year 1809 ANgus and Margaret have left Kilpatrick and are at Sebach or Shiaba where we presume there was the original Livingston croft of Angus and Donald's father Neil. Anotherwards looking at the baptismal records above mentioned you can see there may be just one croft a each location that the various families utilized. So Angus and Donald share a brief Kilpatrick connection and Angus shares a connection to Shiaba with the earlier Neil Livingston who in 1779 resided at Shiaba (Sebach) all which points to a family connection for Angus, Donald and the elder Neil Livingston of Shiaba, Ross of Mull.

regards

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald/Debs,

Some more info below on James, I have no idea who compiled this, possibly a Katherine Livingstone, who has a site containing pretty much the same information, I came across both sites while looking for something else, I never did find what I as orginally looking for.

Anyway, thanks to whoever compiled this, & I'll have another look at my lot, see if I can identify who James really was related to, can't say I'm too hopeful of a result.

James Livingstone was born in Feb 1810 in Isle of Mull, Argyll, Scotland, died 23rd.Dec. 1894 in Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada aged 84, and was buried in Egremont Twp, Grey Co, Ontario, Canada.
James married Mary McMillan 15th.Apr. 1842 in Jura, Argyll, Scotland. Mary born in 1824 in , Scotland and died on 5th.Jan.1910 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada aged 86.
• Mary resided at 124 Brunswick Ave at the time of her death in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada.
Ann Livingstone was born Mar 4, 1842 in Jura, Argyll, Scotland, was christened 18th.June.1843 in Jura, Argyll, Scotland, and died on 4th.Aug, 1912 in Mount Forest, Grey Co, Ontario, Canada aged 70.
Margaret Livingstone was born 10th.Feb.1845 in Eldon Twp, Victoria Co, Ontario, Canada and died 8th.May 1914 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada aged 69.
Katie Livingstone was born on 19th.Sept.1846 in Eldon Twp, Victoria Co, Ontario, Canada and died on 15th.Mar. 1902 aged 55.
Duncan N. Livingstone was born 29th.May 1848 in Eldon Twp, Victoria Co, Ontario, Canada, and died on 25th.Jan.1941 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada aged 92.
Mary Livingstone was born on 13th.July. 1850 in Eldon Twp, Victoria Co, Ontario, Canada and died on 30th.Mar 1928 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada aged 77.
Jane Livingstone was born on 12th.Jan. 1853 in Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada and died on 18th.Apr .1937 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada aged 84.
Donald Livingstone was born on 21st. Jan . 1855 in Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada and died on 12th.June 1943 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada aged 88.
Bessie Livingstone was born on 7th.Apr. 1860 in Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada and died on 15th.May 1886 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada aged 26.
James Livingstone was born on 14th.Sept. 1865 in Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada and died on 27th. Feb 1945 aged 79.
James resided at 119 Garden Ave,Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada 1932
Angus Livingstone was born on 19th.Feb 1857 in Arthur Twp,Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada and died 27th. Dec.1921 aged 64.
Duncan N.Livingstone was born on 29th.May 1848 in Eldon Twp, Victoria Co, Ontario, Canada and died on 25th.Jan. 1941 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada aged 92.
• He worked as a farmer in 1878 in Nassagaweya Twp, Halton Co, Ontario, Canada.
• He farmed at Egremont Twp, Grey Co, Ontario, Canada, 1881
• He farmed at Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada, 1887
• He resided in Mount Forest, Grey Co, Ontario, Canada in 1901 .
Duncan married Mary Boyd Frank, daughter of William Gault Frank and Mary Jane Coe, on 21st.July 1875 in Acton, Halton Co, Ontario, Canada. Mary was born on 23rd.Aug.1857 in , Ontario, Canada.
• Marriage Ceremony conducted by D. B. Bauman witnessed by Christiana Franks and Elen McLaughlan.
James Franklin Livingstone was born on 16th.June 1876 in Nassagaweya Twp, Halton Co, Ontario, Canada.
Ellen Laticia Livingstone was born on 12th.Oct. 1878 in Nassagaweya Twp, Halton Co, Ontario, Canada.
Ellen married Charles A. McLellan on 18th.Sept. 1910 in Mount Forest, Grey Co, Ontario, Canada. Charles was born in 1884
John Stanley Livingstone was born on 25th.Apr. 1881 in Egremont Twp, Grey Co, Ontario, Canada.
• He worked as an electrician in 1920 in Mount Forest, Grey Co, Ontario, Canada.
John married Pearl Rooney, daughter of Thomas John Rooney and Mary Boyd, on 22nd.Apr. 1922 in Ancaster, Wentworth Co, Ontario, Canada Pearl was born in 1893 in Ontario, Canada.
• Marriage Ceremony conducted by T. E. Chilcott witnessed by Daniel T. Campbell and Carrie Campbell both of Hamilton.
Laura Livingstone was born on 21st.Jan. 1883 in Egremont Twp, Grey Co, Ontario, Canada.
Mary Rachel Livingstone was born on 29th.Nov. 1887 in Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada
Mary married Dr. J.C. Oakshette on 4th.Aug. 1909 in Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada.he was born in 1859.
• Marriage witnessed by James F. Livingstone of Acton & Ella L. Livingstone of Mount Forest.
Bessie Sophia Livingtone was born on 30th.Oct.1890 in Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada3
Bessie married Arthur James Sawyer, son of John Thomas Sawyer and Mary Jane Nash, on 24th.Apr. 1920 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada. Arthur was born in 1888 in Clapham, Greater London, Surrey, England.
• He worked as an accountant in 1920 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada.
Kathleen Livingstone was born on 4th.Nov.1892 in Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada.
• Kathleen resided at 160 Westminster Ave in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada in 1920.
Maggie Myrtle Livingstone was born on 17th.May 1896 in Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada.
Jane Livingstone was born on Jan 12, 1853 in Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada and died on 18th.Apr. 1937 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada aged 84.
Jane married Thomas Austin Willitts, son of Thomas Willitts and Harriet Elizabeth Colwell. Thomas was born on 5th.May 1856 in Bristol, , Gloucestershire, England, died on 4th.Jan. 1932 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada aged 75, and was buried in Park Lawn Cemetery, Toronto.
• He worked as a commercial traveller in 1901 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada.
Duncan N Livingstone was born on May 29, 1848 in Eldon Twp, Victoria Co, Ontario, Canada and died on 25th.Jan. 1941 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada1 aged 92.
• He worked as a farmer in 1878 in Nassagaweya Twp, Halton Co, Ontario, Canada.
• Duncan farmed at Egremont Twp, Grey Co, Ontario, Canada, 1881
• Duncan farmed at Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada, 1887
• Duncan resided in Mount Forest, Grey Co, Ontario, Canada in 1901 .
Duncan married Mary Boyd Frank, daughter of William Gault Frank and Mary Jane Core, on 21st.Jul. 1875 in Acton, Halton Co, Ontario, Canada Mary was born on 23rd.Aug. 1857 in , Ontario, Canada.
• Marriage Ceremony conducted by D. B. Bauman witnessed by Christiana Franks and Elen McLaughlan.

Hope this is helpful,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Thanks for that.
Yes that looks like a detailed family tree of James Livingston of Mull later Colonsay. Perhaps that is Debbie's info. From the 1841 Scottish census is birth date is closer to being about 1816 or 1817 but you never know with census records. I think Debbie said that Jame's did not have a death record or that if he did it did not list the name of his parents which is unfortunate as it would have helped to resolve the mystery.
regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald/Debs,

See info below, I received this earlier tonight from Michael who runs the Mull Families site, looks like another step closer to proving James is at the very least, a very close relation of Angus & Margaret.

I've forwarded additional info to Michael, just have to wait & see if he can find any additional info on James.

If you have not already done so, the Mull Families site is well worth a look at, it has over 500 Livingstones of Mull origin listed, plus almost countless other names, & a wide variety of useful info on Mull etc., a well laid out & easy to use site,

John

John - I gave "James" the bap date of the IGI Female one 29 Sep 1816 Kilfinichen.

This was because the most common transcription error bar none, is the use of James for Janet.

It could of course be a James, and you say you have future history of him.

Must ask. How do you know that the James who died 1894 is this one with Angus/Margaret ?

I do agree that James is a relative.

Michael
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Michael,

Actually the whole James Livingston of Colonsay thing is a tad bit complicated but the thing is that it is that Colonsay records seem to indicate that this James Livingston born abt. 1816 and who settled in Canada in the 1840's is either the son of Angus or a nephew he has living with him and Margaret on his Arisaig, Colonsay tenant holding. Yes Colonsay. Here is thing that we all found a bit confusing regarding that. ANgus and Margaret Livingston with family including a James Livingston are recorded at least in my copy as residing at Arisaig/Arasaig at Jura in the 1841 Census. However as John pointed out to me Arasaig is on Colonsay. No this made sense to me because the James Livingston born in 1816 according to the Canadian records and the decendant there married the wife listed in the Colonsay parish a year after the 1842 Census.Interestingly I later found out that the early Colonsay parish record were kept by a minister on Jura.

Circumstantial evidence perhaps but we know that we have a James Livingston born abt. 1816 residing with old ANgus and his wife Margaret on COlonsay at the time of the 1841 Census and another interesting thing we have another family living with old ANgus and Margaret in 1841 who have the same Scottish name as the wife who a James Livingston of COlonsay married a year after the census. James wifes death record in Canada also confirms this family name. The name slips my mind for the moment but it is the wife of the only James Livingston who married at Colonsay in 1842. The Canadian census records also confirm that this James was born abt. 1816 or thereabouts. I cant prove for certain he was born in 1816 because it is not clear as you mentioned in the Kilfinichen Parish births for ANgus and Margaret so I cannot be certain about an exact date. I guess 1816 is a ball park figure without absolute proof.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

See below, info on James & Mary married at Uragaig, Colonsay,

James Livingstone was born in Feb 1810 in Isle of Mull, Argyll, Scotland, died 23rd.Dec. 1894 in Arthur Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada aged 84, and was buried in Egremont Twp, Grey Co, Ontario, Canada.
James married Mary McMillan 15th.Apr. 1842 in Jura, Argyll, Scotland. Mary born in 1824 in , Scotland and died on 5th.Jan.1910 in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada aged 86.
• Mary resided at 124 Brunswick Ave at the time of her death in Toronto, York Co, Ontario, Canada.
Ann Livingstone was born Mar 4, 1842 in Jura, Argyll, Scotland, was christened 18th.June.1843 in Jura, Argyll, Scotland, and died on 4th.Aug, 1912 in Mount Forest, Grey Co, Ontario, Canada aged 70.

John