James Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: James Livingston

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

I was going to mention to Michael that we know that the James Livingston that went to Canada married a Macmillan in 1842 at Colonsay. Says Jura there but the original parish records state Colonsay. The minister at Jura had the Colonsay parish records. The 1841 Census indicates that old ANgus Livingston and his wife Margaret lived with some of their children and a Macmillan family and a James Livingston a year prior to James marriage at Colonsay to a Macmillan so I think that this leaves no doubt to a Macmillan family connection to old Angus and a possible family connection to James Livingston. THere are marrriage records between two Livingstons that married Macmillans at Colonsay that we know from the 1841 Census are connected in someway and lived with Angus Livingston. That pretty much convinced me of a likely family connection. The Macmillian that is living with old ANgus in 1841 Census married a Christy Livingston at Colonsay in 1840 or thereabouts.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

Just noticed something last night, while looking through OPR's & later certificates, the 1858 death certificate for John, son of Angus & Margaret, has both his parents deceased before the date of Johns death.

I probably spotted this before, & forgot about it, thought I would get it on record, it might save someone in the future a bit of time on research, always assuming we do not manage to track Angus & Margaret.

I've been going through all those named James, who were born on Mull around 1800 - 1816, the only one I have found anywhere near this timeline, is as follows,

Son James, born 10th. May 1815 at Lettermore, to John & Chirsty Livingstone (nee McNiven ), Lettermore is in the region of 45 miles north of Shiaba, so it is probably not the correct James.

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

No family relation that we know of between the early 19th century Kilfinichen Parish Ross of Mull Livingstons and those in the Lettermore area Kilninian Parish, Mull. I am hoping that our DNA Project will continue to shed light on any possible family connections amongst the Mull area highland Livingstons of which many descendants today exist. Dr. Livingstone's grandfather Neil Livingston and wife Mary Morrison resided for a time at Lettermore in Northern Mull before they moved on to the southern shore of the nearby Isle of Ulva. Dont know about other Livingstons in the Lettermore vicinity but I do know that Angus Livingston of Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull and later Arasaig,Colonsay based on the DNA tests is not closely related to Dr. Livingstone's Livingstone highland family group. Just to confuse people there were two Lettermores in Western Argyll one in Kilninian Parish Mull and the other near Duror and Ballachulish. The eldest children of Dr. Livingstone`s grandparents Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison were however born at the Lettermore in Kilninian Parish, Mull according to the 18th century Kilninian parish records.

regards,

Donald
deblivingstone

Post by deblivingstone »

Hello Everyone!

I've been patiently waiting for my husband's 37 marker DNA results and they have arrived! It appears that we belong to the Parker-Livingstone group.
This is all new to us so can anyone point us in the right direction and make any suggestions as to what we are to do now?
As a refresher, my husband's ancestor was James Livingstone who married Mary McMillan in Colonsay. Details are in earlier posts.

Take care,
Deb
Canadian Livingstone

Hello Debbie,

I am glad to hear your husband is particpating in the project. Your husband's Livingstons ancestors are without doubt of highland Western Argyllshire Livingston origin and of a group in the project that is referred to as the Parker Livingstone group of which my Livingston cousin is one. So far with the initial 37 marker test your husband is interestingly close in 37 marker distance to my own Livingston family results which I did not suspect but which may confirm that your Livingston ancestors originated in the Morvern/Mull area of Western Argyllshire. At the 37 marker level it would seem your husband and my Livingston kin and myself share a Maclea Livingstone ancestor in Western Argyllshire but an upgrade to 67 markers would help to determine just how closely related my Livingstons are to your husbands or anyone else in the Parker-Livingstone group for that matter. A significant number of Livingstons identified as belonging to what is referred to as the Parker Livingston group have an apparent ancestral connection to Mull in Western Argyllshire and neighbouring parishes such as Morvern where my Livingston ancestors lived in the 1700's. Andrew Lancaster and Kyle Maclea of our DNA project will no doubt provide you with additional info.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald/Debbie,

As we don't seem to be getting any closer to tracking down James relationship to Angus & Margaret at Uragaig, Colonsay, I've sent the details to http://www.scotsfamily.com, so hopefully, within the next week or so we should have a result.

I've also requested info on the daughters of Angus & Margaret, I've got what I feel is accurate info on them, but I've got my doubts, so I'll let the professionals have a look, & see what they come up with,

John
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi John;

Have you come accross a James Livingstone b 1776 married Christina b 1791. Children twins Margaret and Ellen Scotland.

Catherine b 1834 in Nova Scotia, John and Harriet b 1836 in Nova Scotia, James died Dec. 11, 1863 age 87 Chicago.

Regards;

Roberta
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Roberta,

This is the only likely one I've seen so far, as yet, I don't see anything in Scotlands People,

1860 US Census has a James Livingstone, b. Scotland 1776, so 84 years old.
Resident, 3rd. ward Chicago, Cook, Illinois.

There is also a Margaret, resident 10th. ward Chicago, age about 44,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

It certainly appeared to be that the James Livingston living with old Angus Livington at Urisaig, Colonsay in 1841 at the time of the Scottish 1841 census was the same James Livingston that the following year according to the Colonsay Parish records married James Livingston and Margaret McMillan. Following that they ended up in ONtario Canada. There was not another James in the Colonsay area in the 1841-1842 period as far as the records tell us. Debbie has the info from Canada as well that verifies the Colonsay parish records that her husbands ancestor was the James Livingston that married Margaret McMillan in Colonsay. The DNA testing though I think probably suggests that this James Livingston who married Margaret McMillan in Colonsay in 1842 is not a relative of Angus Livingston who the 1841 Census seems to suggest he was living with a year before his marriage to Margaret.

I need to go back a look at everyones family trees again generation by generation ,but I dont recall any inconsistencies and everything seemed to make sense to me in terms of the ancestral lines.

It is clear that you and Debbies Husband are the not close match I expected. There must be a logical reason but at the moment it escapes me. Clearly all our Livingstones are connected to the Western Argyllshire Parker Livingstone group but some are clearly more closely related family wise than others just to make things complicated to understand. The irony of all this is that after I spent so much time researching info trying to connect your ANgus and Debbie's Husband;s ancestor James livington of Colonsay that the results at least at the initial 37 marker level possibly some sort of close Livingston family connection between my Livingstonn family and Debbie's husbands Livingston ancestors. I never even thought of that though clearly were all of local Western Argyllshire Parker Livingston origin as generally highland Livingstone group. So I am as confused as you no doubt. I is obvious to me given that Angus Livingston of Colonsay did not originate from Colonsay but from the Ross of Mull/Mull area that any Livingstons from Colonsay I venture to say probably originated from Mull or other nearby areas. All I know about my own Livingston ancestor is that he was born abt. 1775 at Morvern as he said or on the neighbouring Island of Lismore as the Lismore Parish records indicate. But of course I dont know where Miles lived in Western Argyllshire before his birth. And many Maclea Livingstone moved from parish to parish from time to time.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I've never been convinced on who James was, I think I will wait & see what, if anything www.scotsfamily.com come up with,

John