James Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Jewel

Re: James Livingston

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald, John & Debbie,
Not really sure if anyone has taken a look at these records yet so I thought I would post them just in case they might be of help. I thought there was some discussion on a Angus Livingstone & Margaret Hall. Margarets maiden name comes up with a few different spellings but I think it is the same Margaret. This information was from,Scotland births & Baptisms, on the Family Search web site.

All Children of Angus Livingstone & Margaret Hall

Mary, Birth, October 31,1802, Glasgow,Lanark- Batch# C11974-1 Film # 102916

John, Baptism: Feb.7,1805, Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon- Batch # C1154-2

Betty, Baptism: April,1807, Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon- Batch # C11542-2

Cirsty, Baptism: Oct.29,1809, Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon-Batch # 11542-2

Duncan, Baptism, Sept.30,1814, Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon-Batch# C11542-2

Livingston,Female, Baptism,Sept, 29, 1816, Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon-Batch # C11542-2

Hugh,Baptism,June 6, 1819, Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon-Batch C11542-2

Ann, Baptism, Dec. 29,1821, Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon-Batch C11542-4 (mothers maiden name Kall)

Jane, Baptism, Jan 18, 1829, Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon-Batch # C11542-4 (mothers maiden name Hale)

Also saw a birth for a Angus Livingstone, April 30,1780, Kilmallie,Argyll,Sct. parents Malcolm Livingstone and a Catherine McPhee.

Jewel
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Jewel,

If you go back a few months in ''Ancestral Search'', you will see i have posted the same information, with a bit more on the descendants of Angus & Margarets family, It goes from Angus, as far as my g/father, John, born Islay, died Greenock circa 1928, & g/mother Margaret McGilvray, born Islay, died Greenock.

I actually thought it was all coming together far too easy, so I sent it to Brian Thomson @ www.scotsfamily.com, he came up with the same, plus Mary, who was unknown to me, this info is posted somewhere around here, not sure when.

The majority of the ''discrepancies'' in the spelling of Margarets name, in my opinion, are down to the registrars style of writing, I've looked at length at the OPR's, I have copies of all the OPR's, & i am now 100% certain, the name is definitely Hall, not Kale / Hale etc.
You will also see on one OPR, she is called McPhail, one explanation for this, some highland clans used the mothers maternal name, rather than the fathers or husbands

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Just got back from a week in the desert, it was probably warmer in Scotland.

The Neil that is being suggested as possibly being the father of Angus, was living at Sheabach.

DNA has proven that my bit of the family are definitely from Mull, but not related to Dr. Livingstone, ( see kit 127272 ), we have the usual stories of old African mementos coming from Dr. Livingstone, basically they are old African tourist tat, purchased in Africa, but probably by relations who were sailors,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,
Yes the Mull info does tend to lean toward the theory her name was Hale or Hall as you say. The fact that it is for the most part consistent in the parish records gives us some hope that it was actually Hale or Hall. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. Do you have a copy of the 1816 birth record. Any chance that could be James. Does it state in the original a daughter of Angus and Margaret. The odd thing we are faced with in terms of Angus and Margaret and the Livingstons at Urigaig (Uragaig) Colonsay in the 1841 Jura Census is that in addition to the Hugh b. 1819 and a Ann Livingston there is James Livingston born abt. 1816 and Christina McMillan wife of Malcolm Mcmillan who according to the 1840 Colonsay marriage records is Christy Livingston who married Malcolm McMillan that year. Christina is recorded as being 25 and James is recorded as 25 and both born abt. 1816. So we have a possible problem. Unless they were twins one of them is probably not of Angus Livingstons. Of course the census taker could have their age wrong in 1841 which is also possible. Still we are left with a perplexing mystery. How exactly are James livingston b. abt. 1816 and Christina McMillan (Christy Livingston) b. abt. 1816 related to old Angus and Margaret Livingston of Uragaig croft village circa 1841. I am certainly forced to keep an open mind that James or this Christina Livingston are his brothers children. It is frustrating knowing that Debbie`s ancestor James Livingston who marrried his wife Mary Mcmillan at Colonsay is clearly a family connection to old Angus and Margaret Livingston of Urigaig Uragaig, Colonsay and his son Hugh but not being able to put all the pieces together.

Yes disappointly our Western Argyll Livingston group (Parker Livingstone) some who are definitely connected to the parishes of Mull and the neighbouring parish of Movern where my Livingstons originated are no DNA match to Dr. Livingstone`s great nephew, a direct descendant of older brother John Livingstone (1813-1899). As Doctor Livingstone has no male descendants with the name Livingstone and neither does his brother Charles, testing male ``Livingstone`` descendants of older brother John is the only option to derive paternal Livingstone DNA of this famous family.

Given that JOhn, David and Charle`s grandfather, Neil Livingston and his wife Mary Morrison according old Argyllshire records, lived on the Isle of Ulva and before at Lettermore Mull in Kilninian Parish my educated guess would have been that many of the Mull area Livingstons would be blood relations but so far this does not seem to the case. Still I would encourage more testing of highland Livingstones with a Mull connection and others before we draw any final conclusions. I know it is frustrating for a number of Livingstons who like mine have a family story linking them to Dr. Livingston`s family but so far we have only a couple of Livingstons indicating in the test results some sort of ancestral link to Dr. Livingstone`s ancestral line.

It is also possible that Dr. Livingstone`s grandfather Neil Livingston and for that matter his great grandfather whom Dr. Livingstone stated was killed in the Battle of Culloden (1746), was not born on the Isle of Ulva or in the Mull area and the family did not live on the Isle of Ulva for several generations as Livingstone seems to suggest. It has however struck me as odd that Dr. Livingstone was not more aware of detailed history of the family origins given that his grandfather Neil Livingston according to the Doctor, knew stories about their Livingston ancestors going back several generations and shared these tales with the family on many occassions. In any event if indeed Dr. Livingstone`s grandfather or great grandfather originated from another part of Western Argyllshire such as Ballachulish or Appin as some have suggested then he was apparently not aware. The fact that his brief search by yacht for highland Livingstone relatives on the Isle of Ulva in the 1860`s turned up no relatives indicates that may not have been that well informed on his genealogy unlike his grandfather nor what precisely had happened to his Livingstone kin since his grandfather had left the croft on the Isle of Ulva in 1792 for lowland Lanarkshire. The fact that Dr. Livingstone revealed relatively few details regarding his ancestors has no doubt frustated more than a few of the many biographers who have attempted since his death to better understand his family origins in Western Argyllshire.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Yes that is Angus and Margaret`s family. The family appears to have lived at Shiaba, Mull in the parish you mentioned in the earlier years. Those parish records mention that the family were living at Shiaba and I think also neighbouring Kilpatrick in the early 1800`s. While the Angus is recorded as being age 60 in the 1841Census while at Uragaig, Colonsay and therefore born abt. 1780 I dont think 1780 is written in stone. John has pointed out that the old Argyll Census of tenants from the year 1779 includes a Angus age 5 at Shiaba son of Neil Livingston who could possibly be John`s ancestor ANgus Livingston.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI John,

Ross of Mull has a historical society and might have some additional insights on Shiaba and the crofters that lived there in the early 1800's. Colonsay can be seen in the distance and I was able to find out that Mull tenants needed when too many people left Colonsay in the early 1800's for the colonies.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Been a while since I looked the original baptism documents for Angus and Margaret's family but I checked the 1816 baptism for the female child and it was listed as Hall but in the original entry it is clearly written Hale with an e. The recorders of the list seem to have missed the e. It is quite obviously not an l at least in the case of this one. If we can find James Livingston in the 1851 and 1861 Ontario Canada Census records it will give us another means to see what approximate birth date we can derive from these records. With all the records for James so far we have 1815, 1816 or 1817. Obviously same person but accuracy does not seem to have been a priority of the census taker or the family at the time.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Angus Livingston and Donald Livingston of Ross of Mull

Hi John,

Thought you might find this of interest. I think you are already aware of this but thought it worth knowing.
A check of Livingstons living in the same villages or croft settlements between the years 1800 and 1830 as Angus and Margaret revealed there was one other Livingston family that lived at Kilpatrick during the period when they briefly resided there in the early 1800's which could prove to be critical information. Note Donald and Cirsty Livingston's eldest son seems to be Neil Livingston. Could Donald Livingston be a brother of old ANgus? Your theory that Angus had a father named Neil Livingston who is recorded in the 1779 Argyll tenants list at Shiaba or Shebach could be a possibility. In the 1779 list there is as you well know an Angus age 4 and Donald age 2 sons of Neil Livingston. Interestingly Donald Livingston and ANgus Livingston were crofters around the same time at Kilpatrick.

Interesting Details from Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon Parish records
Donald Livingston crofter at Kilpatrick and later Keeper? at Apolhol (Assapol?) and his wife Cirsty Campbell
Neil Livingston 11/03/1805 Apohol? ( I cant read the writing but it could be Assapol which was near Shiaba and Kilvickeon and a little south of Kilpatrick in south western Ross of Mull)
Jean Livingston 03/07/1807 Kilpatrick croft (located on Ross of Mull)
Hugh Livingston 22/10/1809 Kilpatrick croft
Alexander Livingston 31/05/1812 Kilpatrick croft
John Livingston 06/12/1814 Apohol (Assapol?)
Duncan Livingston 28/02/1817 Apohol (Assapol?)
Cirsty Livingston 26/08/1824 Apohol

Angus Livingston (military) Pensioner and Margaret Hale or Hall
John Livingston o7/02/1805 Kilpatrick (located on Ross of Mull)
Betty Livingston 25/04/1807 Kilpatrick
Cirsty Livingston 30/09/1809 Sebach ( Shiaba also recorded as Sheba) (located on Ross of Mull)
subsequent entries clearly indicate Angus and Margaret and family had a croft at Shiaba on Ross of Mull from about 1809 to at least 1829. The 1841 Census of course indicates that Angus and Margaret and their younger children are residing with them at Urigaig/ Uragaig on the Island of Colonsay recorded at Jura for some reason in the 1841 Census records. As you know some of the family of Donald Livington and Cirsty Campbell settled in Canada and is connected to Dawn Livingstone an Ontario Livingston researcher who is familiar with some of my own research of Esquesing County, Halton County Livingstons. Her Livingstons settled in Grey County, Ontario and later in Esquesing Township where my ancestor great great great grandfather Miles Livingston b.1775 no known relation resided from when acquired the township from the Indians. Dawn's family arrived much later in the 1800's in Esquesing Township. Dawn has done alot of research on the family of Donald and Cirsty. I did not however realize the very probable connection between ANgus Livingston and Donald but now it really is suddenly quite obviously a possibility in my mind. Also note that in the baptismal record of his son John, Donald Livingston is referred to as a "Keeper" of some sort curiously similar to reference in the 1779 Argyll tenants record for Ross of Mull which lists a tenant Neil Livingston age 40 a "Keeper" at Sebach or Sheba. And then sure enough this Donald names his eldest son Neil. Makes you wonder.

Also possible that a Duncan Livingston and his wife Margaret McCormick who were in the same parish at the time may be related to Angus and Donald but am not certain. They were apparently at Creich in 1811 where they wed and the following year their first child John was born at Ardchivaig or Ardchevaig also in South Western Ross of Mull. On a old map of Ross of Mull I also noticed that Ardchevaig is next to a Loch Lye which is today interestingly enough referred to as Loch Asapol. Another map shows Asapol also located beside a small body of water what looks like Loch Asapol. So it kinda looks like Ardchevaig and Asapol were in close proxmity to each along this Loch Lye or Loch Asapol as it is apparently referred to now. So now we know that this Duncan Livingston lived in the early 1800's in very close proximity to Donald Livingston who was at what appears to be a badly spelt Asapol. And Donald lived for a few years at Kilpatrick when Angus Livingston was living in a croft there before he apparently returned to Shiaba.

So I think there may be a connection with Duncan to Angus and Donald perhaps a younger brother not born before the 1779 Argyll tenant list. All I know so far is that Duncan Livingston and his wife Margaret McCormick were married at Creich 03/26/1811 in Kilfinchen and Kilvickeon Parish and that at the time their first child John Livingston was baptised they were living at what looks like Ardchanvaig but is possibly Ardchivaig/Ardchevaig on Ross of Mull as mentioned in the 1759/1760 recruitment list of the Argyll Fencibles where a Liviston was recruited. Creich like Shiaba/ Sheba is in South Western Ross of Mull so it is conceivable that Duncan could be related to Angus and Donald Livingston.

There is also a Neil Livingston of of Tider? or Fider? in Kilfinchen and Kilvickeon Parish who married Mary Henderson 03/03/1818 but I have not found any info as yet connecting them in anyway to Angus, Donald or to Duncan. His name Neil may be some clue as to his family connection to the Neil Livingston that lived at Shiaba, Mull and his two sons Angus and Donald but that would probably be difficult to prove.

In any event according to the Mull Map Assapol, Ardchivaig,Shiaba, Kilvickeon and Kilpatrick and Creich are in close proximity to each other and as such makes it reasonably probable that the few Livingstons that were in these communities in the early 1800's might very well be related. For this reason and a couple of others I think Angus and Donald are the ANgus age 4 and Donald age 2 as listed as sons of Neil Livingston age 40 of Shebach or Shiaba, Ross of Mull in the 1779 Argyll Tenant list. As I said earlier someone with knowledge of the history of Ross of Mull might be a big help in understanding the tenant settlements where your family lived. Certainly I concur with you that your Livingston family roots as best we can tell are to be found in South Western Ross of Mull. Perhaps somewhere amongst the ruins of the deserted stone croft settlements are the remains of Angus and Donald Livingston's croft.

regards

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello,

Saw the marriage of Donald Livingstone and Mary Graham , February 17, 1816 taken from the Marriages of Parochial register Co. Argyll, Colonsay, extracted from the Register in custody of the registrar in terms of the Act 17th & 18th Victoria Chapter 80.

Also Colonsay, a baptism for a Mary Livingstone on March 5, 1817 parents Donald Livingstone and Mary Graham.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Regarding Margaret Hall the Hall theory the large number of Halls certainly backs up the notion that Angus met his wife in Glasgow, Lanarkshire and the likely birth of his first child there certainly leaves that a possibility. Certainly there is the one early record there. There are also even a few Hales in Glasgow. I would not think that Margaret and her family have roots in highland Argyllshire although there is some information that she was also known as a Mcphail. That might have been an attempt at a gaelic name for her after the fact, though there certainly were lots of McPhails in Mull. For the most part I am seeing Hall although the writing seems to look more like Hale at times. Certainly he would have ample opportunity to spend time in the lowlands in Lanarkshire following his end of service in the Army presumingly a brief stint in the late 1700's, before returning to Kilpatrick and nearby Shiaba in South Western Ross of Mull.

regards,

Donald