James Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: James Livingston

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

What can I say but I appreciate your, perserverence, patience and unending loyalty to this Forum. I just wish I had the ability to connect all of the dots as it were and make sense of the Colonsay Livingstons like I should. Certainly we have pieced together some detailed family trees on each of the respective families and located census and parish records in many cases but still we are a little short of connecting all the dots in the way we would like and establishing proven family connections. One thing that might be helpful is if we could get a descendant of Donald Livingston b. 1775 at Shiaba, Ross of Mull probably and possibly a brother of Angus Livingston to be tested. I am in contact with a lady whose husband I understand is a direct descendant of Donald Livingston of Ross of Mull from the familie`s genealogy info. And it would be yet another Mull area Livingston tested which would be helpful to the Parker-Livingstone Group research. I will see what I can do.
regards,
Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Regarding Dundee Livingston James Livingston born 1776 son of John Livingston and Catharine FInlay what clues do we have that he is the same James Livingston that is located in the Chicago Census of 1860 that lived at one time in Nova Scotia in the 1820's. Generally speaking most of the Livingstons that resided in Nova Scotia in the 1820's and prior to that would have been from highland Scotland rather than lowland Scotland.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Roberta/Donald,

Just noticed some more info on John Livingstone & Catharine Finlay, they were married on 15.11.1765 in Dundee, GROS Data. 282/000 0120 0177, Johns occupation appears to have been a weaver, I have a copy of the OPR if anyone wants a look,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,Jewel and John,

I tried also to do some looking into James and Christina but did not find a marriage record for them or at least one that fit or a birth or baptismal record for their daughter Margaret in the existing Scottish records either in highland or Lowland Scotland. James might be in an early census of Nova Scotia in the 1840's given that he may have been still residing in Nova Scotia around that time but I am not certain where in Nova Scotia he was living or if he was recorded in a census at that time. I have gone through some Census records from this period in Counties pertaining to some Nova Scotia families weve previously researched but I dont think I came across a James Livngston and family. Wish I knew exactly where the family lived in Nova Scotia.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi All,

Just got a bit of bad news, http://www.scotsfamily.com, have failed to track down James Livingstone from Uragaig, I had hoped for a better result, if they cannot track him down, I don't suppose it says much for our chances, still, nothing like a challenge.

They did find info on three of Angus & Margarets daughters & I believe on their families, I have not actually recieved the info as yet, but I will post it asap,

John
Last edited by jmlivingstone on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Well I guess as far as the birth /baptismal records go Angus and Margaret's children were born in Mull and none of the children born in Colonsay. And as far as James is concerned we could no birth/baptism record from Mull for him at all. James connection then to Angus was a bit speculative at best. That being said we are still left with one big mystery: who the heck is young single man James Livingston clearly residing with Angus and Margaret Livingston and his family on their tenant holding at Uragaig/Urigaig, Colonsay and why is there at the same time a McMillan family living with Angus and Margaret? And what is there connection to old ANgus the Napoleonic War veteran who at one time lived at Ross of Mull? Also how many Colonsay Livingston families were at Colonsay before 1841? I would have thought most would have been related. I guess this is where the DNA testing can be of great benefit.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta/Jewel,
Regarding the other James Livingston of Chicago Illinois circa 1860-
Yikes this is a tough one. Too bad that the obituary didnt provide us with info as to specific origins in Scotland. Really dont have any thing on where he lived in Nova Scotia either.
regards,
Donald
Andrew Lancaster

Post by Andrew Lancaster »

Thanks to Roberta for citing my webpage. I am just starting to understand that there are two theories being discussed.

Well, may I point out that Livingston(e)s from both the Dundee area and the Mull have been DNA tested in the project? There is a very good chance that a DNA test would give a strong lead about which of these theories is the likely one.

Best Regards
Andrew
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Andrew,
I should probably clarify this a bit.
Actually there were two different James Livingstons in discussion here that are together only because the one was introduced when we were discussing the James Livingstone of Colonsay who resided with ANgus Livingston and Margaret Hall of Uragaig/Urigaig Colonsay. Weve been discussing this James Livingston for several months on this posting with Debbie Livingston the wife of a descendant who is involved in the DNA project. This James Livingston of Colonsay born in the early 1800's in Mull possibly ross of mull later resided 1840's in Colonsay and later Arthur township, Wellington County, ONtario Canada in the mid 1800's has nothing to do with the James Livingston b.1775 of Chicago,Illinois circa 1860 we have very recently starting discussing here. Perhaps we really should consider puting them in two separate posting. I actually have started to do this separating of messages with our latest participant David Livingstone who contacted me through a posting of the Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County Livingstons about his Ontario ancestors who though briefly lived in Simcoe County were not Nottawasaga Township Livingston. I started up a new posting for David with the title Archibald Livingston Lobo Township, Middlesex County, Ontario because that is where Archibald spent his final years d. 1907 and will help any other Livingstons related to him zero in to our website easier. Hopefully we can encourage everyone to post new topics in new postings. Also easier when we want to go back and do a search months from now. It would be great to more easily locate info on Livingstons we have discussed in the past.

Actually in regards to the Colonsay Livingstons there is another Ross of Mull Livingston in Canada not part of DNA project who I hope to interest in our DNA project to help better indentify that Ross of Mull family. There ancestor was Donald Livingston b.1775 of Ross of Mull. This Ross of Mull resident never did leave Ross of Mull. Mull for Colonsay as did Angus Livingston of Ross of Mull who was married to Margaret Hall and shows up in the 1841 Census at Urigaig or Uragaig, Colonsay though by mistake this entry appears in some records as being on the Island of Jura. Uragaig or Urigaig is or was a tenant settlement on the Island of Colonsay. The Colonsay James Livingston also apparently Born in Mull whose descendant John Michael Livingston is part of our project may be the James Livingston of Colonsay living with the ANgus Livingston and Margaret Hall at Uragaig in the 1841 Census. A year later this James or so I suspected in 1842 according the Colonsay parish records married a Margaret Mcmillian of a colonsay family and a few years later according to John Michael Livingston's wife went to ONtario Canada and eventually ended up in Arthur Township, Wellington County, Ontario. Margarets obituary in Canada confirms the 1842 marriage and the Colonsay connection so I thought the James in the 1841 Census at the tenant setttlement of Uragaig, Colonsay with Angus Livingston b.1780 and margaret Hall was infact John Michael Livingston's ancestor James Livingston. We know that this old Angus Livingston and Margaret Hall raised a family originally at Kivickeon and kilfinichen Parish on Ross of Mull from the surviving old parish records but as luck would have it John Michael Livingstons ancestor James Livingston who seemed to be living with old Angus and family at Uragaig is not included as one their children. So we have been trying to figure out how this James Livingston who is farming with old ANgus at Uragaig in 1841 is connected to him. So far the other John Livingston from Scotland and myself who have been working on this for months have not been able prove with 100 percent certainty who this James Livingston is farming with old Angus at Uragaig. Is he an adopted son? Who knows.

Now interestingly in researching the origins of old Angus in Kilfichen Parish on Ross of Mull I discovered that he likely had a brother Donald b. 1775 there and that they almost certainly were born and lived at Shiaba in Kilfichen Parish, Ross of Mull. Now as luck would have it I have been in touch for a few years with a family historian whose husbands livingston family is descended from this Donald from Ross of Mull. I dont know if they would be interested in the DNA project but if it is possible to test another family with well researched records and family roots to Ross of Mull then I should see if this is possible. As the old parish records in the case of old ANgus and Margaret and their family clearly indicate their origins on the Ross of Mull and a possible link to this Donald Livingston b.1775 then another testing of a Livingston with apparent Ross of Mull Livingston connection would be great. I will see what I can do.

As for the James livingston b.1775 of Chicago ILlinois I cant make any definite connections to any of the Scottish records. I agree there was a James Livingston born 1776 in Dundee,Angus but definite info connecting him to the James Livingston of Chicago. No info on James Livingston in Nova Scotia as yet in the early 1800s. Most of the Livingstones that settled in Nova Scotia in the early 1800s tended to come from highland Argyllshire. In terms of the DNA project our Nova Scotia Livingstons of Argyllshire origin are so far matching up with the Parker Livingstone Group.

regards,

Donald
deblivingstone

Post by deblivingstone »

Greetings all!

We just received our results for the Y-DNA 67 marker. Can anyone help us figure things out?

Deb