James Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kyle MacLea

Re: James Livingston

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Yes, Donald and I have been discussing the results a little. I can't respond fully now, but your match to him remains strong, and I believe that indicates that you both are closely related, along with a couple of other men. I will look more fully at this soon.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Andrew,
Sorry I missed your earlier posting regarding the James Livingston of Mull later Colonsay Argyllshire. Regarding the discussion of James Livingston and Mary McMillan of Colonsay later of Wellington County, ONtario John Livingstone and I were responding to someones apparent theory that the Tranent lowland Livingstons and the family of James Livingston originally of Mull later residents of neighbouring Colonsay were the same family. John and I decided this makes little sense from the existing information/genealogy of the small group of Livingstons on Colonsay and interestly enough I would point out from a DNA perspective. ALthough it would appear that not all the Colonsay Livingston are neccesarily blood relations there family histories places their origins at Mull it would seem.

Significantly I think at least one Tranent Livingstone has been tested and there results do not match with either the Bachuil group, the Parker Livingstone group or any other highland group. I would think since they were apparently in the area prior to the 1600's they are a lowland Livingstone family group of some origin. Whether connected to the old Callendar family I can not say for certain.That being said I am very interested in the Tranent Livingstones and this Livingston family that goes back to at least the 1600's in the parish records and seems to be connected to David Wyse Livingston's family which David and I researched together a while back. The Livingstone of Tranent appear to have a long history in that part of Lowland Scotland and based on the parish records I have every reason suspect David's Livingston ancestors connect to the Tranent group. I think the research linking David to the Tranent Livingstons was in the form of e-mails exchanges with David rather than forum posts. It was a year or so ago as I recall.

James Livingston of Mull later Colonsay,Argyllshire does appear to be related somewhere down the line with my Western Argyllshire Livingstons according to the DNA results. I guess this is an indicator that Mull, Morvern and neighbouring Colonsay Livingstons may in the future continue to show close ancestral linkage through the DNA project.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Andrew and Kyle,

Just a quick summary regarding Michael John Livingston's ancestor for your project info. Debbie has provided us with more details but here are the basic facts. Michaels ancestor was James Livingston (1810-1894) a weaver of the Isle of Colonsay,Argyllshire believed by the family to have been born in neighbouring Mull as other Colonsay Livingstons apparently were. No birth or baptism records survive for James but according to a descendant his father may have been an Alexander Livington. James was apparently residing at Colonsay with the family of British Army veteran Angus Livingston and his wife Margaret Hall in the early 1840's at Uragaig, Isle of Colonsay then still part of Jura Parish. In 1842 he married Mary McMillan (1824-1910) of Colonsay according to the parish records and shortly after the birth of their first child in 1843 the family left for British North America (Canada), settling firstly in Eldon Township, Victoria County, Ontario and subsequently Arthur Township,Welllington County, Ontario.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi James,

You may know this but I found it interesting that Uragaig, Colonsay Isle in Jura Parish where ANgus Livingston and his wife Margaret Hall resided according the 1841 Scottish Census, overlooks Ross of Mull in the distance apparently. Given that ANgus and Margaret at one time resided on Ross of Mull according to the parish records and Angus seems to be the Angus son of Neil Livingstone of Shiaba, Ross of Mull, the close proxmity I guess is not so surprising.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

The proximity of these matches is I think very telling! Interesting to find such strong matches!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

Given the very close proximity of Ross of Mull in the southern coast of Mull to Colonsay it makes sense that some of the Livingstons have Ross of Mull origins. That is what John Livingstone and I have discovered going through the early parish records of Ross of Mull. Old Angus Livingston and wife Margaret Hall who appear in the 1841 Census at a tenant cottage at Uragaig, Colonsay according to earlier parish records from Ross of Mull lived there ine the early 1800's and apparently before that. The 1779 Argyll Census lists two sons of Neil Livingston of Shiaba, Ross of Mull an Angus and Donald. John and I have discussing Angus and kin for some time and in addition I have been in touch with kin of this Donald Livingston from time to time. Most of Donald Livingston's family settled in Ontario in the 1850's and 1860's. Donald and his wife Christian remained on the Ross of Mull interestly enough into their old age and did not follow their family to Canada.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Donald,

Just came across a possibility for the parents of Mary McMillan, I wouldn't bet on it being correct, but they appear to be the only two on Jura or Colonsay, who had a child named Mary around the this time, they are Malcolm McMillan & Marrion Shaw, the GROS data for the birth is OPR marriages 539/02 0010 0113. Another one we probably will never know for sure, still, it may be worth a further look at it.

Some time ago we were speculating on whether Hugh Livingstone may have gone to Canada, I found the following info on Hugh, which pretty much verifies he was resident in Glasgow until at least 1863.

Hugh appears in the Glasgow Post Office Directories from 1859 until 1863, & shows up in the 1861 census, there is no record of a death for Hugh in Scotland.

Hugh is quite easy to track in Glasgow, he is the only one who is shown as a turner & weavers utensil maker, & dealer in hand & power loom machinery in Glasgow.

The time that he disappears,would still tie in with possible emigration to Canada around 1862-63,

John
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Yes, based on previous looking at PO directories, I suspect they are printed prior to the year in question? So, listing in 1863 doesn't even mean someone was alive in 1863.

I had this happen, at least, earlier in the century in Glasgow.

So, an 1862-63 emigration would still make sense.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Debbie found an obituary for Mary (McMillan) Livingston who died years later in Canada and I think it stated that Mary was born at Colonsay but didnt list the name of the parents nor did the death record. The existing parish records record her being married to James Livingston at Colonsay in 1842 and also records the birth of their first child in 1843. According to Debbie, James and family then shortly after left for Ontario,Canada.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I just had another look at the Jura & Colonsay records, the only family who have a Mary born around the correct period, are Angus McMillan & Mary McNeil, who had a daughter Mary born May 1826 at Colonsay.

A second daughter Flora was born May 1828, at present, I cannot confirm this is correct family, it is certainly the only one in the present records, which are not 100% transcribed, that fits the correct time period,

John