MacLea of Luing, Quarry workers

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kyle MacLea

MacLea of Luing, Quarry workers

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Dear Forum:

I found a recent article mentioning a Christina MacLea of Luing. If anyone knows anything about her MacLeas, or has been in touch with her, please let us know! She mentions that her ancestors worked in quarries.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Articl ... 6?UserKey=

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Re: MacLea of Luing, Quarry workers

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

That is interesting indeed. I would like that check that out further. Dont find many Macleas in Luing or in the rest of Western Argyll after the 1700's when Livingstone or Livingston became the apparent way to go for highland Macleas but worth checking out.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Kyle and Donald,

I had a bit of correspondence with the History Group on Luing a year or two ago. The Isle of Luing has a website: www.isleofluing.co.uk/pages/heritage.php. You can also email them at: info@isleofluing.co.uk. Interestingly, they list tenant farmers on their website and a McLea and a McOnlea were listed in 1730. A Livingstone was listed in 1834. Incidentally there are many Livingston(e)s buried in Kilchattan old kirkyard, but none live there now. The last Livingston died circa 2006. I think that if you emailed them that they could put you in touch with Christina MacLea.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi Jill,

Thanks for that! I have job interviews to prepare for, so I won't be able to contact them about Christina right away, but if Donald or others wish to try to make the connection with her, please do, and let me know how it goes!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

No problem. I know that Jill has done some work on these Isle of Luing Maclea-Livingstones in the past and I think contacted the archives there. I believe she told me she also has Luing family connection. Anyways I think was it was Jill a while back now, that pointed out to me that 18th century list from 1734 that mentioned Mcleas or mconleas. These appear to be Maclea families that as others did in Western Argyll changed their names to Livingstons in the later 1700's.

Good luck in your job search. I have absolutely no doubt they will be as impressed with your qualifications and your charisma as we in the Maclea Livingstone Society are. All the best.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Thanks, Donald! I hope it goes really well and should I end up with a new position, I will certainly share that news with the Society!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Kyle and Donald,

John McLea, John McOnlea and Donald McOnlea are listed in the Rentals of the Earl of Breadalbane's Estate: Island of Luing 1730, and Duncan Livingstone in ditto 1834. I found the lists slightly disappointing as I had hoped to find more MacLeas/Livingstones. I did do some work a few years ago trying to find out whether my family were longterm residents on Luing, but it seems that this was not so.

For those interested in trying to trace quarry worker ancestors on Luing, The Luing History Group may be able to help them. To contact them go to the Isle of Luing website (see my post above).

Good luck with the interview, Kyle. We shall all be rooting for you!

Jill
Jill Richmond