Donald Livingston and Cirsty Campbell of Kilfinichen Parish

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Donald Livingston and Cirsty Campbell of Kilfinichen Parish

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

This info almost certainly confirms that Donald Livingston of Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull was infact the son of Neil Livingston of Shiaba,Kilfinichen parish Ross of Mull circa 1779 as we suspected and probable brother of Angus Livingston formerly of Shiaba, Kilfinichen parish and Uragaig,Colonsay who was married to Margaret Hall/Hale

Donald Livingston widower pauper and former agricultural laborer of Ardtun, Kilfinichen Parish (Ross of Mull)
age 84 years died September 27,1866 12 o clock noon of Bronchitis
Parents: Neil Livingston agricultural laborer and Christina Campbell (not sure they got the name of mother correct given that Donald's wife was also named Cirsty (Christina) Campbell but I have no doubt the father was Neil Livingston given the 1779 Argyll info of Neil Livingston with two infant sons Donald and ANgus at Sheiba, Ross of Mull.

Christina (Cirsty)Livingston married to Donald Livingston pauper of Ardtun,Kilfinichen Parish (Ross of Mull)
age 82 years died September 14,1861
Parents: Neil Campbell crofter and Catharine McKinnon

So there is the Neil Livingston we were looking for.
jmlivingstone

Re: Donald Livingston and Cirsty Campbell of Kilfinichen Par

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

I came across a load of info on Ancestry, on the family of Donald & Christina,in the format its presently in, it would take up too much space, so I'll type it up again, or copy & paste it, whatever is the easiest. It's a fair bit of typing, but it should make life easier for others in the future, if the info is all together on this site, so I'll make a start tomorrow.
I'll also attempt to contact the person who posted most of the info on Ancestry,to see if he has any info to confirm whether Angus & Donald were brothers, or not.

This info covers from Donald & Christina up until at least the 1930's, most of the family recorded were in Canada, there is also a photo of the gravestone for John, b.1814, d. 1883,gravestone reads;

In Memory of John Livingstone
Died May 1883
Aged 68
A Native of the Island of Mull, Argyllshire ,

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

John Livingstone, b. 1814 Assapol, Mull, d. 01 May 1883 @ Glenelg, Ontario.

f. Donald Livingstone. m. Christina Campbell

Spouse. Catherine Campbell, b. 1816 in Scotland, d. unknown.

Family of Donald & Catherine;

The family sailed from Greenock on 18th. June 1850 on board the ''Conrad'', there is a 9 year old Marion listed with them, a name I have no seen previously listed.

1. Elizabeth 1838 - 1911. b. Ardtun, Mull, m. John Albertus Brondgeest, 1845-1887.
Died 02.01.1911 @ Whitewater, Manitoba, registration no. 191004445.
They moved from Toronto to Manitoba in 1880.

2. Sarah Anne Livingstone, 1842-1915.

3. Neil Livingstone, 1843-1927.

4. Alexander Livingstone, 1850-1914.

5. Christina Livingstone, 1852-1900.

6. John Campbell Livingstone, 1856-1886,

Source info for John & family is included from 1841 Scotland census & 1861,1871 & 1881 Canadian census, & Ontario death records.

Thats enough for tonight,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Thanks for all the info you have passed on regarding the family of Donald and Cirsty Livingston. I have been so preoccupied with the Ross of Mull end of things I sometimes forget their Ontario, Canada connection. Thanks for that. Yes I understood they left Scotland in the late 1840's or 1850's.
Well I get the impression from Dawn Livingstone who has written a book on her ancestors Donald Livingston and Cirtsy Campbell that the thought has occurred to her that Neil Livingston of Sheiba, Ross of Mull and his son ANgus were his family, but she could not of course prove it. I am hoping some of this latest info might help to change that. As far I know she has done more research than anyone on this family over the years though no doubt there are others whom she may have been in contact or not. I think some of the details of the original parish records of both Donald and Angus showing them both for a time at Kilpatrick at the same time and then ANgus went back to Shiaba for many years where I assume his fathher Neil had the original family tenant holding. Then there is Donald's death record years later in which sure enough as I suspected his father was remembered to have been none other than a Neil Livingston. Chances are good that if I had been wrong in my conclusions that his father would not have turned out to be a Neil Livingston. Also we are dealing with a "small" Livingston family in a remote area of south western Ross. There just arent alot of old Neil Livingstons born in the mid 1700's at SHiaba with sons named Angus and Donald. So I am pretty much sold on the idea. The other interesting thing which doesnt perhaps hold as much weight as if that this other possible son in the area Duncan Livingston had an eldest son named Neil Livingston. And there is one other Ross of Mull Livingston in the early 1800's a little farthher off from the rest that went by the name Neil Livingston who perhaps was a fourth son. If so then this Duncan and Neil were possibly sons of Neil of Shiaba born after Donald and ANgus. As the their ages in the 1779 census it seems pretty clear in the later census records that Donald was born abt. 1776 and if he were 2 going on three then the information in t he 1779 census for Shiaba Ross would be right on for him. And Angus is not more than 2 yrs possible closer to a year difference. So ANgus could have born about 1774 or 1775 and Donald in my view was born in 1776 or 1777 at latest. Another wards they are two brother born one after the other very close in age but not unusually so. THe 1779 info tells us as much anyways that they were close in age so my theory is not too much of a stretch. I am very certain for all these reasons that your Angus and Dawn.s Donald were brothers from Shiaba. All the clues we have seen in the records are telling me this is true. While ultimate 100% proof would be ideal, I think I have made a strong case in favour of the notion that Donald and Angus are connected to the Shiaba Livingston family of 18th century Neil LIvingstone.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
I am looking at two main Scottish families that settled in Grey County, Ontario, Canada in the 1840's. The first one represents the sons of DOnald Livingston and Cirsty Campbell of Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull. Donald and Cirsty spent their lives in poverty at Ross of mull but four of their sons ended up in Grey County, Ontario, Canada by the 1840's or early 1850's.

A little more on sons of Donald Livingston and Cirsty Campbell of Kilfinchen Parish, Ross of Mull who settled in Grey County, Ontario, Canada in the late 1840's. Beginning with two of them:

His son John Livingston whom you mentioned died in 1883 is buried at village of Priceville in Artemesia Township, Grey County, ONtario
His Stone states as you earlier mentioned:
"In Memory of John Livingston (b.1814) died May 1,1883 age 68 yrs. a native of the Island of Mull,Argyleshire"

More to follow.

Also in the same cemetery is the now sunken and worn grave stone of Ann McPhail who died in 1882 recorded on the aging stone as wife of Duncan Livingstone another son of Donald Livingston and Cirsty Campbell of Ross of Mull. Presumingly Duncan Livingston 1817- abt. 1870 is buried with her. According to a decendant of Donald Livingston and Cirsty Campbell in Canada, Duncan and Ann have no living descendants.

These old scottish pioneer cemteries in Ontario have cemetery stones, many which are showing their age and some wear and tear. Of particular interest are those Livingstone pioneer stones which contain info like the one above mentioning their origin point in Scotland. For the descendants of John Livingston b. 1814 of Grey County, Ontario this a genealogical treasure and it should be protected and preserved for future generations, but the reality is that many of these old stones in Ontario Cemeteries are now lost or broken and long since forgotten by relatives.

regards,

Donald