Angus Livingston and Ann Cameron of Ardnamurchan

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Angus Livingston and Ann Cameron of Ardnamurchan

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Terry,

How is this? A posting for Angus Livingston, Ann Cameron of Ardnamurchan and their kin.

I knew there was something wrong with what written in Hugh's death record. Margaret McDonald didnt make sense. That is the name above his marriage entry but not part of his entry by the way so maybe he looked it up and got it wrong in 1900. Who knows. Weird coincidence the name Margaret McDonald is above his name in his 1842 marriage but is not connected to his entry. She married an ANgus McEachern the previous entry. SOmeone might have misread the 1842 entries. Weird coincidence but might explain where Margaret McDOnald came from. I thought it was conneccted to the 1842 marriage entry of Hugh until I realized that had nothing to do with Hugh and Mcdiarmid entry. Now back to Hugh's brother Archibald son of Angus Livingston and Ann Cameron.

1841 Census
Angus Livingston age 70 abt.1777 agricutural laborer Glenmore, Ardnamurchan (I would assume ANgus of Glenmore died between 1841-1851)
Ann Livingston age 60 (Ann Cameron)
Janet Livingston age 15
Angus Macdougald age 10
Ann Macdougald age 2

This is from the 1851 Census This now makes alot of sense given what you are saying about old Angus Livingston of Glenmore and Ann Cameron.
Archibald Livingston age 25 abt . 1825 tenant 4 acres Glenmore (age is off but this kinda thing happens all the time in the census records)
Mary Livingston age 25 spouse
Ann Livingston daughter age 1
Ann Cameron mother age 69 abt. 1782 (husband Angus Livingston probably deceased)
Angus Cameron age 28 visitor

Hugh Livingston age 34 abt. 1817 shepherd Glenmore, Ardnamurchan (could not find Hugh or Ewen in the 1841 Census oddly enough)
Catharine Livingston age 32
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Angus Livingston and Ann Cameron of Ardnamurchan

Hi Terry,

More on Archibald Livingston son of Angus Livingson and Ann Cameron.

1861 Census Acharacle Parish village of Laga
Archibald Livingston age 40 ardcharnich? (should read ardnamurchan)
Mary age 38 ardchanich
Ann 11 ardcharnich
Mary age 9 ardcharnich
Hugh age 7 born acharacle
Ann age 5 born archaracle
Isabella age 3 born archaracle
Catharine age 7 months born archaracle
Catharine Cameron age 38

1871 Census Western Ardnamurchan District Ardnamurchan parish village of Okle
Archibald Livingston age 50 born ardnamurchan tenant of 24 acres 4 acres arable
Mary age 48
Hugh 16
Nancy (ANn) 13
Bell (Isabella) 11
Catharine 9
Peggy 7
Angus 5

1881 Census Western Ardnamurchan District
Archibald age 56 born Ardnamurchan G.Argyll
Mary age 54
Catharine age 20
Angus age 16
Sarah age 6 grandaughter
Canadian Livingstone

Archibald Livingston son of Angus Livingston and Ann Cameron of Ardnamurchan,Argyll continued

1891 Census Western Ardnamurchan District Ardnamurchan parish
Archibald Livingston age 70 widower Okle
Ann age 39 daughter
Catharine age 32 daughter
Sarah age 17 daughter ?
Ann age 4 daughter?

Western District of Ardnamurchan County of Argyll
Archibald Livingston crofter at Okle widower of Mary Cameron (deceased)
died May 20th 1899 11 pm age 78 yrs (b. abt. 1821?) old age
Parents: Angus Livington crofter and Ann Cameron

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Terry,
So only Ewen or Hugh Livingston of the sons is not accounted for in the original parish records of Ardnamurchan. Clearly though there is only Angus Livingston at Glenmore or Ardnamurchan in the early 1800's who could be his father and no other possibility than Ann Cameron as his mother. Notices the dates are also a little different.
The Killinaig list you mentioned had children of Angus Livingston and Ann Cameron as
Mere 1809, Mary 1813,Ewen 1817, Alexander 1819, Archibald 1821, Isabella 1813,
Janet 1825, Mary 1829

The Ardnamurchan Parish Records
Alexander Livingston b. 1815
Archibald Livingston b. 1818
Isabel Livingston b.1820
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Terry,

Thought you might be interested in knowing that the forum has been contacted by a descendant of Hugh Livingston 1806-1868 of Porturik,Western Ardnamurchan son of Donald Livingston and Catharine McPherson who was married to another Ann Cameron b. abt. 1811. His death was witnessed by "his brother" Lachlan Livingston b. abt. 1793 and Lachlan LIvingston's death record also indicates his parents were Donald Livingston and Catherine McPherson. This is the Lachlan Livingston that was an agricultural laborer at Glenmore. There were I have discovered Livingstons in Western Ardmurchan going back at least to the 1770's so the subsequent families that resided there in the early 1800's before the 1841 Census could have been related.
regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald/Terry,

Just found this one, Ardcharnich, old gaelic name - Ard Cheatharnaich, is located on the east side of Loch Broom, around 5 miles fom Ullapool, Wester Ross, if you find a place called Letters, cross the loch, & go a short distance north, if you reach Campbellton (sp.??) you have gone too far north.

Mungasdale is on the west coast, I would say no more than 20 miles away so it's always possible Archie & wife were at or from Ardcharnich, I think Knockan was also mentioned at some point, there is a Knockan north of Ullapool.

Not sure the above is of any value in your research, but you never know,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Thanks for that. No I am pretty certain that Terry's Livingston family is connected to Livingstons that lived at Glenmore, Ardnamurchan with speculative connections with neighbouring Mull or neighbouring Morvern parishes. It is unlikely that these Livingstons have Rosshire Connections. And even Morvern and Mull connections arent even entirely clear at this point and just speculative based on the notion that Terry's Glenmore, Western Ardnamurchan family was buried at a cemetery at Mull or neighbourin Morvern known as Killunaig burial ground or cemetery. Why Terry's Glenmore Livingstons were listed in a subsequent list entitled the Kilunaig list is still a mystery to me given that Kilunaig is located on Ross on Mull some distance from Glenmore Western Ardnamurchan is not clear. Since Kilunaig burial ground is known to have been on Ross on Mull it would be odd for the Glenmore LIvingstons buried on South western Ross on Mull unless of course the family had strong ancestral ties to the area around Kilunaig. I am not precisely sure what the meaning, origin and significance of the Kilunaig list is except that it lists births of several members of an Western Ardnamurchan Livingston family some of which are not listed in the baptismal records of Ardnamurchan parish. Beyond this mystery it is clear that Terry's Livingstons are according to the census records rooted in a Livingston family that lived at Glenmore, Western Ardnamurchan. In addition we have been recently contacted by another Livingstone whom is descended from a Western Ardnamurchan Livingston family which is great news.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

I was thinking more along the lines, they may have been like more of the Livingstones we have come across, wandering from place to place for work, if you look at my side, they moved from Mull to West Lothian to Islay then to the West of Scotland & various places around the world.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

True enough. That is certainly what we are finding. In addition to emigration to the colonies, a significant number of our highland clan in Western Argyll from the late 1700's onward found themselves migrating to other locations in the highlands and the lowlands where ever work could be found. Out of neccessity, our Livingston many of subsistence tenant farmers had to abandon their ancestral parishes and move on to improve their situation for themselves and their family. I remember when I first became familiar with your Livingstone line, it was a challenge to try and follow the Scottish census trail because the each generation of your Livingstons moved around quite a bit throughout Scotland. It will interesting to see if James Livingston of Colonsay's descendant is a close match to your Livingston line as we suspect.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

For some of us, nothing has changed as far as wandering around the world after work goes, still, at least those of us doing it nowadays get well paid for it, I'm off back to Scotland on Friday for a couple of weeks,

John.