Ancestral Search

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
M Kloetzli

Ancestral Search

Post by M Kloetzli »

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this great site and searching for info on how to find my family tree. My father, Hector MacDonald Livingston, was born in Ft. William. He told me that his father Hugh was from Ardnamurchan. I live in the states so am wondering how to do this online without great costs.
Thanks for any help you may provide.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Ancestral Search

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Welcome to the Maclea Livingstone Society Forum
Before you go to the trouble of looking into locating a family history researcher we can see what preliminary information we can locate on your ancestors.

A preliminary check has revealed:
Fort William, Kilmallie Parish, Inverness,Scotland Residence: Distillery Cottages, Fort William
Hugh Livington occupation Cooper (barrelmaker) and his wife Mary Turner married September 1901 Bellshill,Lanarkshire
Known children in the Scottish parish records (so far)
Janet Mary turner Livingston b.January 31,1907 distillery cottage, Fort William
Hugh Cameron Livingston b.May 22,1908 distillery cottage, Fort William
Mary Ambrose Livingston b. June 10,1910 distillery cottage, Fort William
Lizzie Turner Livingston b.1912 Fort William
Hector MacDonald Livingston b.1915 Fort William

Looks like Hugh Livingston worked at a Distillery as a Cooper and the family lived in a cottage at the Distillery but I cant make out the name of the Distillery in Fort William Looks like Nolia or Novia but cant read it any better than that. I am wondering if they mean Nevis Distillery cottages or more correctly worker distillery cottages built for the Ben Nevis Distillery. Five letter starts with N and refers to a Distillery at Fort William must be. Some of the old distillery worker cottages I think are still standing in Fort William.

THe three Fort William, INverness birth ecords I had full access to interestingly state that your grandparents Hugh Livingston and Mary Turner were married in Bellshill, Lanarkshire in September 10th, 11 or 13th 1901 and not in Ardnamurchan or highland Argyll county at all. Bellshills is in North Lanarkshire about 10 miles north east of Glasgow. But lots of highland Livingstons went to Lanarkshire including Dr. Livingstone's family from the highlands looking for work so not surprised. Obviously your family were originally of highland origins at one time or another. Evidently someone was not clear on the date of their marriage. I only records I was not able to fully check were the Hector MacDonald Livingston and Lizzie Turner Livingston but I am almost certain that it contains virtually the same family info as the other three and it would be some expense to try and retreive these from Scotlands people or the Scottish archives.

I am still trying to find your grandparent Livingstons marriage record which according to three baptismal records occurred at Bellshill, North Lanarkshire north east of Glasgow in September of 1901.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Maclea Livingstone Society Historian
M Kloetzli

Post by M Kloetzli »

Donald,

Oh my what a pleasant surprise - you've got the correct info! I found a copy of my dad's birth certificate and it looks like the marriage date was the 13th & yes it took place in Bellshill.

My grandmother Mary Turner I believe was from Glasgow so it makes sense they married there and returned to the Highlands when employment was available. Yes, they lived in the distillery cottages in Ft. Wm. I think it was Nevis Distillery. My grandfather died when my father was only 8 or 9 years old.

Sadly, the cottages have been demolished.

Thank you so much for your help. I just lost my mom last year so it means a lot to have this connection to family. All of my kin still live in Scotland.

My father mentioned that he heard that there were a lot of sea captains in the family history, so I would like to find out if this family tale is true, so any advice you can give where to go next would be a great help.

P.S. - My dad had a brother named Donald too.

Take care,
Magi Livingston Kloetzli
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Magi,

There was the only Hugh Livingston in the Fort William that appeared to have basically one child after the other from 1907 to 1915 and had a son named Hector MacDonald Livingson so I was pretty sure I had the right Hector, the right family and the right Hugh. Here is more.

Hugh Livingston`s marriage record
``Hugh Livingston cooper journeyman age 23 son of Donald Livingston seaman merchant marine service and Janet Jamieson married Mary Turner daughter of James Turner Police Inspector and Mary Ambrose September 13, 1901 Bellshill, Lanarkshire Witnesses Lizzie Turner and Charles Livingston. Yes I think they were both living in Glasgow at the time of the marriage but were married at Bellshill. Actually I think Mary`s father and mother might have lived in Bellshill or at least her father worked there. Not sure though. Will figure that out later.

Donald Livingston of the merchant marine died age 60 in 1899 at sea (I wasnt able to get all the details but this appears to be him)

Hugh Livingston`s birth record
Hugh Livingston was born May 22,1877 at Portuarik in Ardnamurchan Parish, Western District of Ardnamurchan to Donald Livingston Seaman Merchant Service and Janette Jamieson. Donald Livingston and Janet Jamieson were married June 4 1863 at Rothesay, Bute Scotland according to Hugh`s birth reco. So this confirms that Hugh was born at Portuarik, Ardnamurchan.

1901 Scottish Census
Glasgow St. George Blythswood Registration District 63 Brown St.
Hugh Livingston age 23 Cooper born Ardnamurchan (Argyll)
Janet Livingston age 61 born Isle of Islay (Argyll) mother

1891 Scottish Census
Ardnamurchan Western District Ardnamurchan Parish family resided at a place called Portuarik
Donald Livingston crofter age 50 born Ardnamurchan Parish
Jessie (Janet) Livingston age 51 born Kilchoman Parish (Isle of Islay)
Donald Livingston age 25 sailor born Ardnamurchan
Mary Livingston age 17 general servant born Ardnamurchan
Hugh Livingston age 13 scholar born Ardnamurchan Parish

1881 Scottish Census
Ardnamurchan Western District Ardnamurchan Parish
Donald Livingstone crofter age 40 b. Ardnamurchan
Janet Livingstone age 40 Bowmore (Isle of Islay) Interestingly Bowmore was in Bowmore or Kilarrow Parish not Kilchoman but both on Isle of Islay
Margaret Livingstone age 17
Donald Livingstone age 15
Charles Livingstone age 13 * Charles was witness at Hughs wedding
Annie Livingstone age 10
Mary Livingtone age 7
Hugh Livingstone age 3 b. Ardnamurchan (your ancestor)

1871 Scottish Census
Ardnamurchan Western District Ardnamurchan Parish
Duncan Livingston age 37 brother of Donald Livingston of Portuarik,Ardnamurchan
Mary Livingston age 23 listed as daughter but likely sister of Duncan
John Livingston age 23 brother of Duncan
Ann Livingston age 14 sister of Duncan
(Janet) Livingston age 30 b. Bowmore, Fife(says Fife but Bowmore is located at the Island of Islay) (Janets husband Donald not living with family away) your ancestor
(Margaret) Livingston age 7 daughter of Janet and Donald
Donald Livingston age 5 son of Janet and Donald
Charles age 3 son of Janet and Donald

Borough of Rothesay County of Bute , Isle of Bute marriage record
Daniel (Donald) Livingston ploughman Bachelor age 24 son of Hugh Livingston and Ann Cameron
married Janet Jamieson age 23 daughter of Duncan Jamieson Blacksmith and Christina Mackenzie
June 4th 1863 at Rothesay, Bute Witness: Duncan Livingston older brother of Donald

1861 Census Western Ardnamurchan District Ardnamurchan Parish
Port Uaire (Port Uairce or Portuarik)
Hugh Livingston age 55 b. abt. 1806 crofter in common b. Ardnamurchan your ancestor
Ann Livingston age 50 b. abt. 1811 b. Ardnamurchan (Ann Cameron)
Duncan Livingston age 22 abt. 1839
Donald Livingston age 21 abt. 1840 your ancestor
Angus Livingston age 19 abt. 1842
Anne Livingston age 17 abt. 1844
Mary Livingston age 13 abt. 1848
John Livingston age 11 abt. 1850
Anne Livingston age 7 abt. 1854

1851 Western Ardnamurchan, Ardnamurchan Parish (some of these ages may not be correct but this is the correct family)
Hugh Levingston age 52 b. abt. 1799 Ardnamurchan
Ann Levingston age 40 b. abt. 1811 Ardnamurchan
Catharine Levingston age 16 abt. 1835
Duncan Levingston age 13 abt. 1838
Angus Levingston age 9 abt. 1842
Ann Levingston age 6 abt. 1845
Mary Levingston age 4 abt. 1847
Donald Levingston age 4 abt. 1847 (This entry appear wrong) Donald Levingston your ancestor should be born abt. 1840
John Levingston age 2 abt. 1849

Your ancestral Line
1. Donald Livingston tenant and Catharine Macpherson (lived inArdnamurchan Parish in the late 1700's/early 1800's)
2. Hugh Livingston b. abt. 1806 Ardnamurchan Parish died May 27,1868 Portuarik, Ardnamurchan and Ann Cameron (Hugh had a brother Lachlan)
3. Donald Livingston b. abt. 1839 or 1840 Portuarik,Ardnamurchan died 1899 and Janet Jamieson b. abt. 1840 Bowmore or Kilchoman, Isle of Islay
4. Hugh Livingston b. 1877 Portuarik,Ardnamurchan and Mary Ambrose
5. Hector MacDonald Livingston b. 1915 Fort William, Kilmallie Parish, Inverness

Death Record of Hugh Livingston age 62 yrs. b.abt. 1806 agricultural laborer Western Ardnamurchan, Ardnamurchan parish
died May 27th 1868 at Portuarik, Western Ardnamurchan Witness: brother Lauchlan Livingston (1793-1877)
married to Ann Cameron Parents: Donald Livingston and Catharine MacPherson

Your great-great-great grandparents Donald Livingston and Catharine Macpherson lived in Ardnamurchan parish in the late 1700's and early 1800's and had at least two sons Hugh b.1806 of Portuarik and Lachlan b.1793 of Glenmore, Ardnamurchan. No information on Livingston ancestors prior to that.

Sorry about your mother`s passing. Hope this is of some help.

regards,

Donald
M Kloetzli

Post by M Kloetzli »

Donald,

Thank you so much for this information. This is great. You are so kind to offer this information to everyone.

Take care,
Magi Livingston Kloetzli
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Magi,

Our highland Maclea Livingstones are one of the oldest clans in Western Argyll infact so I look upon all Livingstones that contact the Maclea Livingstone Society as part of one big family as we once were a few hundred years ago before the clan system started to break down after 1746. In more ancient times the ancestors of the Bachuil, Island of Lismore Livingstones were in possession of a significant portion of abbey lands in Western Argyll and being the privileged keepers of the 6th century, sacred staff of St. Molaug they held much respect with the people in the area over many centuries. You might find some of the Clan History information written by our Chief Niall Livingstone, the Baron of Bachuil on our Clan Maclea Livingstone web page interesting reading and the Clan Society has also created a photo gallery of clan related photos. As you may have noticed from some of the other enquiries and postings there are communications with Livingstones/Livingstons like yourself from around the globe wanting to learn more about their Livingstone ancestry or just to share info with other Livingstons. We especially appreciate you contacting us with information on your Ardnamurchan Livingstone connection given that we have been recently contacted by another Livingston of Western Ardnamurchan origin Terry Livingstone. See Terry's messages regarding Killunaig Burial Ground and the other Ardnamurchan Livingstons. Perhaps you are distant cousins.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Some info I came across about a Hugh Livingstone, not the Hugh I was trying to find, but may be of use to someone,

1. 1861 Canada West Census, Bentinck, Grey Co.

Hugh Livingstone - farmer - married abt. 1844, wifes name unknown.

Family;

Flory 16 / Ann 14 / Alex 12 / John 10 / Charles 8 / Unknown 8 / Donald 6 / Sarah 4.

2. Hugh Livingstone - Occ. farmer, death Bentinck, Grey Co. 10/02/1883, age 68, cause of death - heart disease.

John

PS. Just had another look at the above, this is probably the side of the family Dawn Livingstone is descended from.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

The story from Dawn was that several of the family of Donald Livingston and Cirsty Campbell of KIlfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull settled in Ontario. By the 1850's most of the children had left for Ontario, Canada. Yes those would be her Livingstone relatives in Grey County, Ontario. Old Donald and Cirsty did not join them in Canada. Some of these Livingstons of Dawn, later in the 1800's settled in Esquesing township, Halton County, Ontario where my great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingston b.1775 of Morvern and later the Isle of Islay had his farm in the early to mid 1800's before his death around 1850. No family connection however to my ancestor Miles Livingston and his family in Esquesing Township we have determined. While my ancestor received a land grant in 1819 and farmed for a time in Esquesing Township after departing Lord Selkirk,s settlement in present day Western Canada in 1815 his actually trade was boatbuilding and barrel making the latter which his did in the years before his death after he sold his farm. Baron Livingstone has pointed out in the past that Miles likely learned the barrelmaking trade when he was residing on the Isle of Islay which he mentioned had a need of barrel making given its whiskey making industry.

regards,

Donald