Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull Livingstons

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

John Livingston and I are in general agreement that Neil Livingston age 40 gamekeeper, Sheabach, Ross of Mull, recorded in the 1779 Argyll census is the father of the Donald Livingston b. abt. 1776 married to Cirsty Campbell of Kilpatrick and Asapol, Ross of Mull and Angus Livingston of Kilpatrick and Shiaba, Ross of Mull later Uragaig, Isle of Colonsay who was married to Margaret Hall or Hale. The Sheabach refered to the 1779 Census is also spelt Shiaba and Sheba and is located in south western Ross of Mull in Kilfinichen Parish. John is a descendant of Angus Livingston. I also have consulted with Dawn Livingstone a descendant of Donald Livingston and Cirsty Campbell and she also has wondered about whether her ancestor Donald Livingston was a son of Neil Livingston of Shebach. I have assured her this is likely the case and also pointed a number of clues which suggest this to be the case including the fact that the old Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull Donald Livingston's death record years later states that his father was indeed a Neil Livingston.

In addition I am wondering if a Duncan Livingston b. abt. 1786 of Kilfinichen Parish born abt. 1786 probably also in Kilfinichen Parish is a younger brother of Donald and Angus. Duncan Livingston of Criech, Ross of Mull married Margaret McCormick in 1811, a few years later the family is living in a croft at Ardchiavaig little south of Asapol still later in Kentra Iona where and I found them beginning in the 1841 Scottish census.
1841 Census
Kentra, Iona, Argyll
Duncan Livingston age 55 b. abt. 1786 carpenter
Margaret age 45
John age 15
Catharine age 15 (or Ann)
Niel age 13
Jess 11 alias Janet

1851 Census 3 Kentra, Kentra, Iona, Argyll (census partly wrong as Iona location of all childrens birthplace)
Margaret Livingston (formerly carpenters wife) age 58 b. 1793 Kilfinichen parish (Ross of Mull)
John age 28 b. Iona ?
Mary age 26 Iona ?
Ann age 24 b. Iona ?
Niel age 22 b. Iona
James McCormick age 8 (probably a nephew of Margaret's) b. Kilfinichen parish (Ross of Mull)
Two of the Livingston children were actually born in Kentra, Iona or Ross of Mull but their baptisms were recorded in Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull Presbyterian Parish book. Duncan Livingston was living at Criech in Kilfinichen Parish when he married Margaret in 1811 and when Mary was born in 1814 Duncan and family lived in croft at Ardchivaig which is just a little south of Asapol where Donald Livingston and Christy Campbell resided in the early 1800's. I will figure out when they went to Iona from the baptismal records. The 1851 census taker was apparently told all the children were born in Iona but I think the baptismal records suggest that is not the case. Looks like some were born in Kilfinichen Parish and the later ones in Kentra, Iona.

Regretably since Margaret's husband Duncan the Kentra carpenter died sometime between the years 1841 and 1851 he is not included in the later detailed Scottish death records which were begun in the 1850's which would have likely listed the name of Duncan's parents and told us whether or not his father was a Neil Livingston. That was unfortunate.
jmlivingstone

Re: Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull Livingstons

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

I've just been looking at a map of Mull, it appears that Kintra, is part of/or next to Fionnophort, which is the ferry terminal on Mull for Iona, I keep seeing Kintra as being on Iona, I wonder if Iona was the administrative centre for the area, including Kintra.

There also appears to be a Livingstone connection with Creich, a daughter of Angus & Margaret probably married someone from Creich, unfortunately, I don't have the names or dates available at the moment, I'll dig them out when I get home on Friday.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Shiaba seems to be the origin point of the Livingston family of South western Ross of Mull but after by early 1800's they seem to migrate from one village to another but interesting mostly in the South western Ross area which again makes me suspect that Angus, Donald and Duncan are family. For the most part the locations mentioned in the original marriage and baptismal entries are reasonably close to one another in south western Ross of Mull such as Creich. Regarding Creich, Duncan's and Margaret McCormmick,s marriage record of 1811 notes that he is living at Creich at the time of marriage and then oddly enough were have the marriage records of a decade later of Cirsty Livingston marrying a John McCormick of Toorphein? February 26 1822. Then we have another Cirsty Livingston of Creich or maybe the same one marrying a Peter McArthur of Caildrean? December 18,1827.

I have a bit more work to do on Duncan Livingston and Margaret McCormick. I am updating that info you will notice in the previous post on them as I go along.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Duncan Livingston b. 1786 of Creich, Kilfinichen Parish married Margaret McCormick of Kilfinichen Parish 1811 in Kilfinichen Parish. Duncan and family seemed to move from village to village over the years on Ross of Mull.

Children according to Kilfinichen Parish baptismal records
John b. January 5th 1812 b. Ardchiavaig
Mary b. April 4, 1813 Ardchiavaig
Flora b. December 14,1814 Ustilen?
Hugh b. December 26, 1816 Ardchiavaig
John b. January 30,1819 Creich
Ann b. June 17 1821 Creich
Marion b. December 5, 1825 Creich
Neil b. October 10, 1827 Kintra (Is Kintra in Iona or N W. Ross of Mull?)
Janet (Jessie) b. January 8, 1830 Kintra (Is Kintra in Iona or NW. Ross of Mull?)
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Kintra is located in North Western tip of Ross of Mull overlooking the sound of Iona. It appears to be actually in Ross of Mull but adjacent to Iona. This probably explains why the two Kintra baptisms for Duncan's youngest children born at Kintra were recorded in the Kilfinchen Parish book.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Probably a bit late to update this one, or maybe better late than never.

The Cirsty who married Peter McArthur, was the daughter of Angus & Margaret at Shiaba.

Peter & Cirsty had two children, Ann b. Oct. 1829, & John b. Sept. 1831 at Creich, Cirsty died between 1831-33.

Peter then married twice more, & emigrated to Australia, with at least the majority of his children,

John
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Always better late than never! Time and again people arrive at the Forum because of posts they see.

Thank you, John!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Sorry I was away for the week. I guess the question then if their daughter Christy Livingston married Peter McArthur the question remains who is the Christy (Christina) Livingstone McMillan wife and her husband Malcolm McMillian who are living with old Angus Livingston and Margaret and their children at their croft in uragaig Colonsay according the 1841 Scottish Census. And of course mystery no. 1 regarding Angus and Margaret Livingston, who is the James Livingston residing with old Angus anad Margaret who a year later in 1842 marries Mary McMillan and who settled in Ontario, Canada a short time later. It would appear that there are two mysteries here.

John would you be able access any info on my great-great-great Uncle Donell or Donnell Livingston or Livingstone who is recorded in the 1851/1852 Quebec, Canada East Census Beauharnois County, Quebec born abt. 1799 according to that census? I wonder if you have access to the 1851/1852 Quebec, Canada Census. He is listed under Donell not Donald in that one apparently. Not to be confused with other Donald Livingstons in the area in 1851/1852.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

The only thing different from the info you already listed, is that he was 53 years old at the time of the census, & the first part of his address is St. Malachy, otherwise nothing new.

John
Last edited by jmlivingstone on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

It's certainly difficult to figure out who is who, the 1841 census has Christy, Malcolm & son Duncan listed, I had not noticed Duncan, 6 months old before.

The OPR has Christy & Malcolm marrying on 26 Jan.1840, also James Livingstone marrying Mary McMillan on 14 Apr.1841.

I still wonder if the registrar, as well as not putting a name in the birth registration, possibly got the sex of the baby wrong, the birth date of this baby ties in correctly at 1816, it could be James, doubt if we will ever know definitely.

I'll have to have another look at the OPR, see if there are any other obvious mistakes or corrections on it for other births, probably clutching at straws, can't think on any other way to go at present.

Christy, I can find no further info on, at least so far, but I'm still looking,

John