Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Re: Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull Livingstons

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

I just had another look at the 1851/52 census, Donnells info is extremely hard to read, all I can make out is his name, his age 58 yrs, his religion Presbyterian, occupation almost illegible, possibly surveyor, but very hard to be sure, place of birth could be Scotland, again, almost illegible.
I would certainly not bet on being correct on either of the last two items,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

That is likely him. He was born in the 1790's and was presbyterian. Is his Quebec census information in French or English? Sounds like you viewing a copy of the original census page. I noticed in the 1861 Census is recorded as Donald Livingston or Levingston in the same parish and county and appears to be single. Is that the case? Interestingly there was another Donald Livingston who was married to Mary Brown and large family in the same parish and County In QUebec in the 1850's. Now this Donald Livingston and his wife Mary Brown from the Isle of Islay subsequently left Quebec for Ontario Canada. As far as I know they are no relation to my great-great Uncle Donald (Donnell). Donnell is a mistake. Dont know why they refered to him as Donnell and not Donald. My great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingston 1775-? had planned for his son Donald to farm with him in Ontario Canada but instead Donald made his way from Western Canada to Montreal QUebec around 1817 and somehow ended up a land surveyor in Beauharnois Seugneury later known as Beauharnois County, Quebec residing amongst some Scottish settlers there. County records indicate he died in 1862. For years I could not figure out what happened to Miles eldest son Donald after the two of them left Lord Selkirks Red River Settlement in Western Canada. THe last bit of info I had is that he ended up in Montreal Quebec from the Selkirk Settlement sometime between 1817 and 1819. Then I found Quebec record a couple of years ago including one from the 1830's that mentioned a land surveyor Donald Livingston of Beauharnois County, Quebec and one document from the 1830's which records a Beauharnois County, Lower Canada (QUebec) legal transaction between the same Donald and Miles Livingston of Upper Canada, Donalds father. Then I knew I the located Miles missing son in Quebec.

regards.

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

I found the original English version of the census on Ancestry, it's another one that makes me wonder if the spelling of Donnell is a census takers mistake due to pronounciation/accent problems.
It does not appear to give his marital status, although, he is certainly listed as living alone at the time of the census.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
If you wouldnt mind noting the location details such as parish and County. I think it was St. Anicet Parish, Beauharnois County. At the time of his death in 1862 he was listed as Presbyterian who apparently was member of the congregation of Huntingdon Presbyterian Church. Huntingdon in the province of Quebec, Canada is in that part of Beauharnois County. There were a significance number of Scots that settled in the Huntingdon area of Beauharnois Quebec and in that parish. In the 1861 Census he is recorded as Donald and again no family listed with him. His birthplace is listed as l'Ecosse or something like that which I later realized is Scotland in French. Quebec is a predominately french speaking province of Canada.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

It was St. Malachy Parish, Beauharnois County, as far as I remember, I'll check it later, but I'm 100% certain that's it, it took quite a bit of time to figure out his place of birth. I tried all sorts like Leblanc, & various others before it eventually dawned on me what it actually was,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Yes it would be St. Malachie, Beauharnois County, QUebec where Donald Livingston was living at the time of the 1851 Quebec Census. Earlier in an 1838 Beauharnois Loyal Volunteers Paylist, my great-great Uncle Donald Livingston is recorded as a private of Third Company (Ormstown First Concession). He was apparently at this time a resident of
St. Malachie-d'Ormston, Beauharnois County, Quebec or in that general Ormstown area. Connecting this with this Quebec Donald Livingston to my family happened by luck of stumbling upon one old record. Louis Sarault a Notary recorded several transactions occuring in the First and second Concession of Ormstown in the 1820's and 1830's and on this list was one transaction which stated "April 16 1837 Miles Livingston of Esquising Township, Upper Canada and his son Donald Livingston of the Seigneury of Beauharnois. Seeing this I knew where Miles Livingston's Donald Livingston a land surveyor had settled after leaving his father Miles

Miles Livingston b.1775 who settled in Esquesing Township, Halton County, Upper Canada (present day Ontario Canada) in 1819 was my great-great-great grandfather who came to Canada in the Summer of 1812 and DOnald was his eldest son from his first wife. Miles, his second wife Janet (nickname Jessie), his teenage son Donald from his first marriage and young boatbuilder in his twenties Donald Livingston possibly a cousin were recruited by one of Lord Selkirks highland recruiters to be among the first group of settlers to colonize his new Colony at Red River which included part of present day Manitoba, Canada and part of neighbouring North Dakota, USA then. Later in 1815 Miles his wife Janet and their two children left for Upper Canada where Miles received a land grant in Esquesing Township, Halton County, Upper Canada in 1819.

His eldest son Donald from his first marriage however remained for a while longer an employee of Selkirk Settlement, but later in 1816 he had left the Red River Settlement and unable to connect with a HUdson Bay Company ship to take him back to Scotland, he wintered at a Hudson Bay Company Post and continued towards Montreal, Quebec where instead of seeking a ship to take him back to Scotland he decided to remain in QUebec and settle in that province. And so he did. Presumingly he must of left Ormstown, St Malachie, Beauharnois and ended up in the Huntingdon, St. ANicet Parish, Beauharnois County area after the 1851 Census and before his death in 1862 in the Huntingdon, Quebec area. For several years what happened to Uncle Donald after he left Lord Selkirks Colony in present day Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada aluded me until the pieces of a puzzle one by one came to view. Your information helps to sort out his early connection to this Ormstown d'St. Malachie in the 1820's and 1830's that was curious about. Your info was actually a important piece in the puzzle which apon lookin at all that had know makes this all make better sense to me. Thanks again.

regards

Donald