Children of Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of SavaryMorvern

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Re: Children of Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of SavaryMorv

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

1901 census has James & Mary Ann Livingstone + Annie 4 yrs. & Robert 2 yrs, resident at Bain St. 6, Morriston Terrace, Cambuslang,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

Beyond James and his family we have three other sons of Robert Livingston and his wife Agnes Nicol, Adam, John and Robert Jr. I think I have located in the 1901 Scottish Census

1.Adam Livingston b. abt. 1857 Rutherglen Parish age 44 Town of Wishaw, Cambusnethan Parish, Lanarkshire Steel Smelter
Annabella (Johnston) age 38 9 Stenton Place
Married Nov. 15 1898 in Cambusnethan Parish, Lanarkshire Adam's Parents Robert Livingston Ploughman and Agnes Nicol
(Not sure they had family.)

2. John Livingston b. abt. 1862 age 39 Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire Tailor resident Rutherglen 172 Main Street
Jeanie (Jane) Livingston age 41 (Jeanie (Jane) Hood)
Agnes age 5
Robert age 3 born July 3 1897 RUtherglen
John age 1
I could not find a marriage record for this John Livingston but since his first children were named Agnes and Robert it is a foregone conclusion this is Robert and Agnes Livingston's son John born abt. 1862.

3. Robert Livingstone b. abt. 1868 Rutherglen Parish Traveller in Woolens 105 Clarence Drive Govan Parish, Lanarkshire
Emily (Bridge) b. abt. 1871
Alice B. Livingstone age under 1 month
Not certain if this is Robert and Agnes Livingston's son Robert or not

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

There have been some inquiries regarding Morvern Livingstons recently. This was some info from the past regarding the Livingstons connected to Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of Savary, Morvern who served in Appin Regiment during the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion and rescued the Appin Banner from Culloden Battlefield in April of 1746.

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Have you ever came across a Duncan Livingstone, who married a Margaret Ramsay, I don't really think they are connected to the research you are presently doing, but, as they are a Livingstone family, had a son named Adam, & resided around Rutherglen, I thought I would include the information, just in case it is of use.

Death cert. for Adam Livingstone, occ. druggist servant, death at Burnside Rd., Rutherglen, there is also an RCE report from the District of Rutherglen, which states as follows;

''The following report of a precognition has been received touching on the death of Adam Livingstone, registered under no. 183 in the register book of deaths for the year 1864.

Cause & place of death not known, but went amissing on Friday 18th. September 1863, dead body found at side of a plantation on Burnside Farm, in the Parish of Rutherglen, farm occupied by John Love.''

The above is as transcribed from the Procurator Fiscal report,

John

Cause of death supposed to have resulted from cold & wet, report from Procurator Fiscal Office''
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
No not familiar with that Livingston family. I guess the only reason I ended up in Rutherglen Parish was that there was a Donald Mollach of Savary Morvern ancestral connection to one of the families I was looking at in that Lanarkshire parish. Robert Livingston who was married to Agnes Nichol was the son of Adam Livingston the Savary Morvern in the early 1800's and Adam was believed to be a son of Donald Mollach (Donald Livingston 1728-1816) formerly of the Jacobite Appin Regiment of the 1745 Rebellion who rescued the Appin Regiment banner from the field of battle at Culloden in April of 1746.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Family of Allan Livingston b.1770/1771 a son of Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 and his wife Jean/Jane Stewart of Savary Morvern

John Livingston 1848-1911 of Ardchattan parish, Argyll son of Allan's eldest son Duncan Livingston of Morvern (1799-1875)
This morning I finally re located John Livingstone born 1848 son of Duncan Livingston and Christina Cameron in Ardchattan Morvern a descendant of Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary Morvern. His age varys in the census records so dont be thrown by that as he was actually born in 1848 though some of ages given in the census records suggest he was bonr in the early 1850's. That is incorrect it is 1848. I have seen his 1848 baptismal record. JOhn Livingstone was a great grandson of Donald Livingstone of Savary Movern and grandson of Allan Livingston born 1770/1771 of Morvern. He was the son of DUncan Livingston 1799-1875 of Morvern. I found out left Morvern and shows up in Ardchattan by the 1871 Census and by 1876 is married later having family there in Ardchattan. His mother Christina Livingston (Christina Cameron) who I lost track of after 1848 in MOrvern is also residing in Ardchattan at this time. John Livingstone or John Livingston was the son of Duncan Livingston born 1799 and Christina Cameron. His father Duncan Livingston was a son of Allan Livingston born abt. 1770 or 1771 in Morvern a son of Donald Livingstone and Jean Stewart of Savary, Morvern. Duncan Livingston of Morvern is referred to on the death records of three of Donald Livingston and Jean/Jane Stewart's MOrvern born children as a "nephew" and is the recorded witness on these records.

The confusing thing about John Livingston b. 1848 in the census records is that his father Duncan Livingston leaves his wife and only child shortly after John birth and by the 1851 Census Duncan is living with his father Allan Livingston and brother John and sister Majory while his infant son John Livingston age 2 is living with his mother's mother Mary Cameron age 74 and her children Alexander, Peggy and Christy Cameron. The location at this time is Archabeg Morvern. John Livingston was born in 1848 according to the Morvern Parish records to Duncan Livingston and his wife Christina Cameron. That same year there is baptismal record of John Livingston born to Duncan Livingston and Christina Cameron. Years later in 1875 Duncan Livingston's death record confirms that he was married and his wife was Christina Cameron though oddly enough all of his census records following his marriage and the birth of his only son John Livingston clearly indicate that he was not living with either his wife Christina Cameron or his son John Livingston.According to Morvern Parish marriage records the marriage between John Livingston and Christina Cameron took place Feb. 9, 1848. It is clear they never divorced and were married but also clear that sometime between the years 1848 and 1851 Duncan left his family and ended up back at his father Allan Livingstons residence in Morvern living for quite few years with his brother and sister John and Majory. The good news is that found Duncan's son John Livingston and his mother Christina Livingston later in the records and that John Livingston born 1848 his son married and had family.

So Duncan's son John Livingstone born 1848 is refound in the records to my delight. To recap in 1851 young John Livingston is living with Mary Cameron age 74his grandmother and some of her children Donald Cameron, Alexander Cameron, Peggy and Christy Cameron. I thought his mother Christina Livingston might be dead but that is not the case as I later discovered. In 1861 John Livingston age 12 is living with another Cameron relative of his mothers this time a Donald Cameron age 48 again in Morvern. In 1871 John Livingston born in Morvern recorded as age 20 is living with his mother Christina Livingston also born in Morvern age 48 in Ardchattan. This is a new location for John and his mother who reappears in the records but still not living with her husband Duncan Livingston born abt. 1799 in Morvern and throughout his life before his death in 1875 a Morvern resident. Also living with them is Alexander Cameron age abt. 50 who appears to be the Alexander Cameron residing with a young John Livingston in Morvern with Christina's mother Mary Cameron in the 1851 Census.

So we are up to 1871 with John Livingston. Then in 1875 according to the death records, John's father Chistina's husband Duncan Livingston died in MOrvern. The following year John Livingstone recorded as age 26 a Cattle dealer and resident of Achaw, Barcaldine, Ardchattan Parish, Argyllshire recorded as a son of Duncan Livingston crofter (deceased)and his mother Christina Cameron married Marion Elphinstone on May 23, 1876 Marions parents were George Elphinstone and Margaret Sutherland. We know that JOhn Livingstone of Morvern now living in Ardchattan and his wife Marion had several children after their 1876 marriage.
1881 Census for Ardchattan Parish, Argyllshire
John Livingston age 29 born Morvern occupation Shepherd Achacha Farm House
Marion Livingston age 30
Donald Livingston age 4
Allan Livingston age 2
George Livingston age under one month
Christy Livingston age 56 born Morvern (John Livingston's mother)

The 1891 Census for Ardchattan, Argyllshire

John Livingston age 40 born Morvern, Argyllshire
Marion Livingston age 43 born Sutherlandshire (Marion Elphinstone)
Donald Livingston age 14 born Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Allan age 12 born Ardchattan, Argyllshire
George age 10 born Ardchattan
Margaret age 6 born Ardchattan
CHristina Livingston age 73 (Christina Cameron) John Livingston's mother who died in 1901 in Ardchattan

I now realize that Christina Livingston is recorded in the 1851 census with her infant son John Livingston living with her mother Mary Cameron but is confusingly listed as Christy Cameron. She and her son John Livingston are not residing with her husband Duncan Livingston who is at this time for some reason residing with his elderly father Allan Livingston elsewhere in Morvern.
1851 Census Morvern
Mary Cameron age 74
Donald Cameron age 37
Alexander Cameron age 34
Peggy Cameron age 52
Christy Cameron age 32
John Livingston age 2

Just for purposes of verification I got lucky and found Christina Livngston of Ardchattan and her death record. Christina Livingston age 85 years widow of Duncan Livingston crofter died August 19, 1901 in Achinreir or Archireid, Barcaldine, Ardchattan parish, Argyllshire. Her mother was recorded in her 1901 death record as I expected Mary Cameron )maiden name McInnes and her father Hugh Cameron of Morvern, Argyllshire. The witness was her grandson Donald Livingston the eldest son of her son John Livingston. So her surviving death record verifies that her husband was indeed Duncan Livingston as I mentioned and a check of Duncan Livingstons Morvern death record indicates he died in 1875 and his wife was indeed Christina Cameron.

So the next Step to do is to try and trace the family line from John Livingston and Marion Elphinstone as far as we can to get some sense of what became of their family and if there are any possible descendants of the famous Donald Livingstone of Savary morvern through John and Marion's family and their descendants. We now know that John and Marion had several children Donald, Allan, George and Margaret Livingston. The next step is to see if we can determine from the Scottish records what became of them after the 1891 Census. Donald the eldest was a witness in 1901 of his grandmother Christina Cameron's death in 1901 in Ardchattan. If we find more info on the family of John Livingstone and his wife Marion after 1891 in Ardchattan we are one step closer to linking them to present day descendants if there are any today. Or at the very least providing any descendants already doing research on their Morvern and later Ardchattan family connection with a better chance of finding info on the earliest known origins of their family in Morvern and ultimately linking them with the famous Donald Livngstone 1728-1816 of Morvern.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingstone and Marion Elphinstone of Achinreer? Ardchattan Parish, Argyllshire and family
1901 Census Ardchattan Parish, Argyllshire Archireer?
John Livingstone age 48 cattleman on farm born Morvern
Marion Livingstone age 56 born Clyne, Sutherland
Donald Livingstone age 24 born Glasgow Lanarkshire railway employee
Allan Livingstone age 22 born Ardchattan shepherd
George Livingstone age 20 Ardchattan railway clerk
Maggie Livingstone age 16 Ardchattan
Christina Livingstone age 83 born Morvern note: Christina Livingstone died August 19, 1901 in Ardchattan

Ancestral line of this Livingstone/livingston family group
1.John Livingstone and Anna McInnis buried in Keil Cemetery, Keil, Morvern, Argyllshire
2.Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern and Jean/Jane Stewart (Donald Livingstone a supporter of Bonnie Prince Charlie was at the Battle of Culloden in APril of 1746)
3. Allan Livingston b. abt. 1770/1771 d. between 1851 and 1855 in Morvern, Argyllshire and Margaret McLean died before 1841
4. Duncan Livingston b.abt. 1799 Morvern d. 1875 in Morvern, Argyllshire and Christina Cameron b. abt. 1828 Morvern d. 1901 Ardchattan, Argyllshire
5. John Livingston abt. 1848 Morvern d. 1875 Morvern and Marion Elphinstone b. Clyne, Sutherland married in Ardchattan, Argyllshire
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingstone born Morvern, Argyllshire married Marion Elphinstone born Clyne, Sutherland in 1876 in Ardchattan Parish. Parents of John Livingstone were Duncan Livingston crofter and Christina Cameron according to the marriage record. John Livingstone died June 13, 1911 at Inion? Farm in Ardchattan His wife is listed as Marion Elphinstone. Parents are listed in his 1911 death record as Christina Cameron and Hugh Livingston crofter but this appears to be an error by his eldest son Donald Livingston who is recorded as a witness.

Children of John Livingston or Livingstone and his wife Marion Elphinstone

1. Donald Livingston born abt. 1877 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire
2. Allan Livingston born December 13,1879 in Achacha, Ardchattan Parish, Argyllshire
3. George livingston born March 16, 1881 in Achacha,Ardchattan Parish, Argyllshire
4.Margaret Livingston born July 22, 1884 Ardchattan Parish, Argyllshire

THat is a far as I was able to go with this family line connected to Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 and his wife Jean/Jane Stewart of Savary Morvern but hopefully this will of help to a descendant of John and Marion Livingstone's family listed here if they researching their Scottish ancestors in Arygllshire. Hopefully Donald, Allan and George Livingston survived World War 1 if they were serving their country during that conflict. THe question remains whether or not Donald, ALlan, George and sister Margaret (Peggy) married sometime after that 1901 Census information from Ardchattan Parish and had a family. That unfortunately I have no information on which might help us get closer to linking this interesting family line of Donald Livingston of Savary Morvern with some more current descendants possibly still living. WIth three sons and a daughter who survived into early adulthood there is good chance that there may indeed be some descendants.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingstone and Marion Elphinstone's son Allan Livingstone born in 1879 living in Inion, Ardchattan, Argyll circa 1915 signed Britiish Military Attestation papers volunteering for 4 years of military service which he served with an Argyll regiment. No information on whether the other two brothers Donald and George served during the war or if they survived World War 1. It appeared from his military record that he survived the war. It would be interesting to know if Allan and his brothers Donald and George remained at Ardchattan and what happened to these Livingstons during and after World War 1. Allan's father John Livingstone died June 13, 1911 at "Inion Farm" in Ardchattan so it is clear that at least his son Allan Livingstone remained at Inion for a time after his father death at least up to World War 1.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
I rechecked info on Adam Livingstone b. June 1855 eldest son of Robert Livingstone b. 1825 in Savary, Morvern and Agnes Nicol. He had a daughter Agnes Nicol Livingstone b. 1905 in Cambusnethan Parish, Lanarkshire. Adam Livingstone was married to Annabella Johnston. He was a steel smelter. He died Oct. 16, 1934 at Wishaw, Cambusnethan Parish, Lanarkshire age 77 years Witnessed by daughter Agnes Nicol Livingstone. Not seeing any other children so far. Our best bet seems to Robert's son John Livingstone the tailor b. 1862 and his wife Jane Hood's family. Their most recent descendants seem to have been in Giffnock and more recently NEwton Mearns, East Renfrewshire not so long ago. They may not be there now.

regards,

Donald