Children of Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of SavaryMorvern

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Children of Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of SavaryMorvern

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,
In a 2 part article for the Clan newsletter Parnassus which I wrote a few issues ago, on Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of Savary, Movern, Jacobite hero of the Appin Regiment at the Battle of Culloden 1746, I suggested that Robert and Ann Livingston of Morvern were probably his grandchildren rather than children. Well some recent research I have done has in fact proven me wrong. In fact Robert and spinster Ann Livingston were two of Donald's children. It also looks like a significant number of his children may have remained in Morvern in their old age in the 19th century as agricultural labors and paupers rather than immigrated to the British colonies as many highland Livingstones from Western Argyllshire did. We know from Norman McLeod son of a Rev. Norman McLeod of Morvern that as a schoolboy he knew old Donald Livingstone of Savary, Morvern and his wife and that Donald was married to a woman named Jane or Jean Stewart. McLeod recalled visiting the elderly Savary Innkeeper who was said to worn have his tartan and enjoyed tellling tales of his exploits in the 1745 Rebellion.

Significantly,the death records of Robert Livingston (1777-1856) and Ann Livingston (1783-1863) who resided for many years at Savary, Morvern have helped to confirm that Robert and Ann were the last surviving children of the famous Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) and his wife Jane Stewart of Savary, Morvern to live at Savary, Morvern. An Alexander Livingston a retired miller (1783-1864) of Barr, Morvern is also noted in his 1864 death record as a son of Donald Livingston and Jean Stewart. I also suspect an Allan Livingston born abt. 1771 who was residing at Savary circa 1841 and whose son Duncan was witness on the Death records of Robert Livingston and Ann Livingston may have also have been a son of Donald Livingston and Jane/Jean Stewart. Then there was an Adam Livingston who was a miller at Savary in the early 1800's who I am told by a descendant of Donald Livingston in Australia was a son of Donald Livingston.

Their father Donald Livingstone it is known was recruited into one of the companies of the Appin Regiment and after all the standard bearers had fallen at the Battle of Culoden in April of 1746, retrieved the banner from the field and wrapping it around himself fled the Battlefield with the intention of returning it to the Appin Stewarts in Appin. Charle Stewart of Ardsheil, commander of the Appin regiment was however a fugitive hiding in Appin, later fled to France and subsequently the original banner ended up in the hands of the Ballachulish Stewarts where it remained until the early 20th century. In the years following Bonnie Prince Charlie and his Jacobite Army's defeat at Culloden in April of 1746, Donald Livingstone found work after Culloden supplying British troops with supplies at Fort William in Invernessshire and in his later years was a hotel keeper at Savary and he and his family was involved with the mill at Savary. It is believed that Donald and Jane had at least six sons and three daughters but it is possible there were a few more. Two of the sons were sailors and drowned. Sadly the census information from Morvern indicates that Donald and Jane's last surviving children, Robert and Ann lived in the later years as impoverished tenants at Savary farm. Neither Robert nor Ann married so there are no descendants to be found.

I have discovered a total of three death records for the children of Donald Livingston and Jane/Jean Stewart of Savary, Morvern in which it refers to Donald's wife as Jane or Jean Stewart. This then confirms Norman Macleod's information from the 19th century that Donald's wife that he knew as a young man visiting the Inn at Savary, Morvern was in fact none other than Jane or Jean Stewart.

Robert Livingston agricultural laborer age 79 died June 8th 1856 (born abt. 1777) at Savary, Morvern buried Kilcolm Hill
Parents: Donald Livingston farmer and Jane Stewart
witness: nephew Duncan Livingston 1799-1875 son of Allan Livingston and Margaret Maclean

Ann Livingston pauper age 80 died April 22, 1863 (born abt. 1783) at Lochaline Village, Morvern
Parents Donald Livingston farmer and Jean Stewart
witness: nephew Duncan Livingston probably Duncan Livingston 1799-1875 son of Allan Livingston and Margaret Maclean

Alexander Livingston retired Miller husband of Peggy Stewart died December 9th 1864 at Barr, Morvern age 81
Parents: Donald Livingston and Jean Stewart
Witness: nephew Duncan Livingston 1799-1875 son of Allan Livingston and Margaret Maclean

also these with no death records to confirm parentage
Allan Livingston b. 1771 d. between 1851 and 1855 Wife: Margaret Maclean

Adam Livingston Miller at Savary in the early 1800's m. Margaret MacDonald (Tradition is that Adam was also a son of Donald and Jane and their son Robert b.1825 is recorded in the 1841 census as agricutural laborer at Savary living with a Cameron family. Robert an agricultural laborer and ploughman in early years later settled in Rutherglen and Cumbuslang Parish, Lanarkshire and death record from 1906 from Cambuslang Parish confirms his parents were in fact Adam Livingston crofter and Margaret MacDonald. Robert and his wife Agnes Nicol raised a large family so it may well be some descendants still reside in Lanarkshire. Adam's son Robert Livingston is very much alone in 1841 at Savary living at the 1841 Census with a neighbouring Cameron family at Savary, though Livingston relatives abound in the area. Looks like his father Adam Livingston and his mother Margaret McDonald died sometime before 1841 as they are not recorded in 1841 Census. I believe the Camerons he was living with may have been relatives. What happened to his parents Adam and Margaret Livingston and other family members prior to 1841 is a bit a mystery. By this point I think the Livingstons were no longer working at the Savary Mill. One daughter of Adam and Margaret Livingson has been traced by an Australian descendant Daryl Povey to having settled in Australia in the mid 1800's. Margaret MacDonald was probably Adam's second wife as there is as Adam Livingston of Savary according to the parish records had a child Sarah Livingston born abt. 1815 at Savary. They only had one child so it appear that his first wife Mary and some years later Adam married Margaret MacDonald. Adam and Mary's only child Sarah is in fact an ancestor of Donald Livingstone of Alberta Canada a Morvern family line that I discuss in another posting.

In the 1850's Robert and Ann were the last of Donald and Jane`s children to reside at the Savary Farm before Robert died in 1856.

By the time of the 1861 Census after the death of her brother Robert in 1856, Ann is a pauper living with her (brother) Alexander Livingston age 77 of Barr, Morvern and his wife margaret (peggy Stewart)age 69, children Margaret age 31, Robert 29, Betty 24

Now it turns out that Alexander was Ann and Robert's brother and yet another son of the famous Donald Livingston of the Battle of Culloden and his wife Jean or Jane Stewart. Alexander a retired miller died in 1864 at the age of 81. Now the Livingston family worked at Mill at Savary in the early 1800's and probably before that and there was a miller in the early 1800's at Savary named Adam Livingston who was possibly another son of Donald Livingston.

Duncan Livingston 1799-1875 nephew of Robert Livingston and Ann Livingston both unmarried of Savary and Alexander Livingston of Barr, Morvern was the son of Allan Livingston b.1771 and his wife Margaret MacLean.
Duncan Livingston son of Allan Livingston and Margaret (Peggy) Maclean died Feb. 3rd, 1875 age 76 years at Lochaline. His death record stated that he was married to Christy Cameron but infact Christy maiden name Livingston was a widow of the late Samuel Cameron of Morvern and there is no record of her remarrying Duncan Livingston in her later years. Duncan appears to have been single and without children. Duncan's father Allan Livingston b.abt. 1771 then appears to be another son of Donald Livingston 1728-1816 of Savary and his wife Jane/Jean Stewart.

There was also an Archibald Livingston at Savary briefly in the early 1800's parish records who might also be a son of Donald. Interestingly he had a son named Robert not that common a name amongst Western Argyll Livingstons at the time but there were a few over the years with the Savary related Livingstons i believe. If so then Robert, ALexander Allan, Adam and Archibald were brothers. Given that at least three of Donald's sons appear to be chosen with a name that starts with the letter A a fourth might not be so inconceivable. On the other hand if Donald only had six sons and two drowned at sea then perhaps Archibald is not a son of Donald and I am just looking at Robert, Alexander, Allan and Adam. I am close but havent perhaps figured it all out. It is however likely that Robert, Alexander, Allan and Adam were sons of Donald Livingstone and Jane Stewart. Archibald is little more speculative.

It appears that some or all of these children of Donald and Jane Livingston are buried in old Keil cemetery near Lochaline, Morvern where Donald Livingston's parents John Livingstone and Ann McInnis were laid rest in an elaborate table tomb in the 1700's. Only Robert Livingston's death record from 1856 records that he was buried at Kilcolm Hill. This is infact the old Movern Parish cemetery at Keil Churchyard refered to in an 1856 Ordnance Survey Map as Cil Culumchille. Also in the past referred to as Kiel Colmkil, Kilcolmkil or Cillcholumchille meaning Church of St. Columba. I am hoping that our Scottish clan members who reside in Scotland and whom might visiting this cemetery in the near future might be able to help locate any children of Donald Livingston and Jane Stewart in this old graveyard. I also understand some research of this graveyard has been done, so I am hoping this can be some help in locating the graves of Donald's family.

Finally, some time ago I found this interesting list of Livingstons from the early 19th century residing in Western Argyllshire which clearly indicates Adam Livingston as residing at Savary in 1813 to help futher reinforce the notion that Adam was a son of old Donald Livingstone of Savary who died there a few years later in 1816.

To the Right Honorable Alexander Wentworth, Lord MacDonald of the Isles 1813

The 1813 List of Livingston Subscribers for a publication "Exploits of Warriors of Our Country published in Scottish Gaelic
by Patrick Turner.
Allan Livington Old Mill Appin
Duncan Livingston Ballachulish
John Livingston Corran
Allan Livingston Fort Willliam
Duncan Livingston Hayfield
Donald Livingston Tobermory
Adam Livingston Savary
John Livingston Craignish
Allan Livingston Fort William
Kyle MacLea

Re: Children of Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of SavaryMorv

Post by Kyle MacLea »

The continued story.... always interesting, Donald!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,

The death record of Robert Livingston 1777-1856 of Savary, Morvern a son of Donald Livingston (1728-1816) of Savary and his wife Jane/Jean Stewart indicates that he was buried at Kilcolm cemetery which threw me off a bit until delving a bit deeper I discovered that Kilcolm just refers to the old parish cemetery the Keil churchyard cemetery near Lochaline also referred to as Cill Choluimchille or Kilcolumkil meaning Church of St. Columba. Interesting. The old table tomb which Donald Livingston had constructed for his parents John Livingstone and Anna McInnis in 1760 is there and I assume Donald Livingston who died in 1816. His son Robert was buried there in 1856 and would assume his sister Anna who died in 1863 and I would assume other family members of this Livingston family. Also other Morvern Livingston families. I am hoping we can get more info on the Livingstone graves in this old Morvern Parish cemetery sometime in the future. As Donald's and Jane's children were in an impoverished state for the most part and in their old age generally identified as paupers in the census records I fear that they may have been buried in the 1800's without a lasting monument to their passing. Hopefully that is not the case. At least I now have documented evidence that Robert and likely other children of Donald Livingstone and Jane Stewart of Savary, Morvern are buried in Keil Cemetery near Lochaline.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

An 1856 Ordinance Survey Map of the Morvern area refers to Keil,Morvern as Cil Columchille. The old map also includes Savary and Savary Mill at at time when the Savary area was still populated with tenants. And old tombstone in the cemetery mentions Kiel Colmkil.
Canadian Livingstone

Some Family of Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 and Jane/Jean Stewart of Savary, Morvern based on parish and census records

Allan Livingston b.1771 d. bet. 1851 and 1855 m. Margaret Maclean (Savary 1841, Knock 1851)
1.Duncan 1799-1775 agricultural laborer single (nephew mentioned in death records of Donald's children) d. 1875 Lochaline Village
2. Majory abt. 1801 or 1797 died 1871 Lochaline Village single
3. Anne abt. 1806
4. John b. abt. 1811 single

Adam Livingston crofter, Miller and tenant of Savary, Morvern and Mary (Adam was a miller at Savary Mill in the early 1800's) (First marriage)
1.Sarah Livingston b. abt. 1813 or 1815 Savary d. March 17, 1891 Lochaline m. Donald Livingston b.1793 of Savary (cousin?) Sarah's death record verified father was Adam Livingston crofter; mother not recorded by next of kin (son Donald Livingston) only recorded with Her Morvern Baptismal record as Mary. no marriage entry exists

Adam Livingston and Margaret MacDonald (second marriage) abt. 1820/1821? no marriage entry exists
2.Jean Livingston b. 1822 Savary d. Dec. 9,1893 at Achronich, Morvern m. Hugh Cameron according to Morvern death record
Jean Cameron widow age 69 in 1891 Scottish Census Morvern Parish
3. Ann Livingston Robertson b. abt. 1822 Savary, Morvern d. Sept.26,1866 Woodford Station, District of Dartmoor, Colony of Victoria, Australia age 44 m. age 33 Joseph Povey Feb. 1, 1855, Portland, Normandy District, Victoria Colony, Australia. (Ann's marriage record states her father was Adam Livingston miller and mother Margaret McDonald. Death record states father Adam Livinston a miller
4. Robert b. 1825 Savary d.March 19,1906 Cambuslang Parish, Lanarkshire m. Agnes Nicol 1854 in Rutherglen Parish,Lanarkshire
Lived at Savary Farm circa 1841 Census and prior to that and sometime before 1851 settled in lowland Lanarkshire where he lived in Carmunock Parish, Lanarkshire and later Rutherglen and Cambuslang Parishes,Lanarkshire sons Adam,John,Robert and James. Perhaps descendants of Robert and Agnes still reside in Lanarkshire. Robert's 1906 death record verified that his parents were Adam Livingston and Margaret McDonald

Robert Livingston b. abt. 1777 d.1856 Savary, Morvern single according to his death record buried at the old Kilcolm (Keil) Cemetery near Lochaline, Morvern

Ann Livingston b. abt. 1781 or 1783 d. 1863 Lochaline Village, Morvern. Ann a spinster, lived with brother Robert at Savary Farm until his death in 1856. The 1861 Scottish Census indicates that Ann Livingston is by 1861 residing with her brother Alexander Livingston, his wife Margaret and children including Alexander's son Robert at his tenant farm at Barr in the years prior to her death.

Alexander Livingston meal millwright b. abt. 1783 d. 1864 Barr, Morvern m. Margaret Stewart
1 Robert Stewart Livingston b. abt. 1826 or 1830 resided for many years at Barr. up until 1891 died Feb. 24, 1903 Kelvin District, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
2. Betty b. abt. 1832 m. Duncan McVicar
3. Mary b. abt. 1836
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Regarding the Morvern family of the Robert Livingston b. 1825 of Morvern who lived at Rutherglas, Lanarkshire, you might find these series of postings beginning March of 2011 interesting.

regards

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
MOre on the old Savary Morvern Livingstons.
The Duncan Livingston which you are refering to as the nephew of the Robert Livingston of the Savary family who died in 1856 was the son of Allan Livingston and Margaret (Peggy) Maclean according to his death record. He was born abt. 1799 or 1806. (I am sorting that out.) and died in 1875. LOgic tells us that this DUncan then would be a grandson of the famous Donald Livingston of Savary and his wife Jane Stewart. In 1841 he is residing with his widower father Allan Livingston age 70 an agricultural laborer at Savary, Morvern. Along with his father at this time there is a sister Majory age 40 and a younger brother John age 30. Duncan is listed as age 35. I have 1799 from somewhere so i have sort that out. There were also at least two other children of Allan Livingston and Peggy Maclean of Savary listed in the Morvern Parish baptismal records: Ann in 1806 and a son Donald in 1810. No baptismal records for Duncan, Majory or John could I find. More on Duncan later. He did not have children.
Duncan Livingston pauper formerly agricultural laborer died February 3rd 1875 age 76 at Lochaline,Morvern which is near the old Keil cemetery. His parents are listed as being Allan Livingston agricultural laborer and Margaret Maclean both deceased. It also states that he was married to Christy Cameron but I have no information of that. So this was how I uncovered yet another son of Donald Livingston whose name was Allan Livingston and who was born abt. 1771 probably at Savary, Morvern when his father Donald was about 43 yrs of age.

In the 1871 Census Duncan Livingstone is listed as being born abt. 1799 a pauper and former agricultural labor residing at "Mrs Livingstons house" in MOrvern
In the 1861 Census Duncan Livingston is listed as being born abt. 1801 age 60 an agricutural laborer residing with brother John age 55 and his sister Majory age 62 in Morvern
In the 1851 Census Duncan Livingston age 48 is an agricutural laborer residing with his father Allan Livingston age 80, brother John age 45 and sister Majory age 51at the Knock Farm in Morvern.
Yikes. Its difficult to determine his actuall birth date when there are so many conflicting bits of information.

Duncan Livingston's father Allan Livingston apparently died a few years after the 1851 census and as far as I know there is no death record for him as he died prior to 1856 I suspect. I think however it seems pretty certain Allan born abt. 1770/1771 was a son of Donald Livingston 1728-1816 the Hero of Culloden and Jane/Jean Stewart of Savary, MOrvern. As my Livingston ancestor, Miles Livingston b.1775 stated he was a native of Morvern on his 1812 marriage record I feel something of a connection to these Morvern Livingstons. Whether or not we are actually related is something I dont know.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Any descendants of brother John? That would be a good find!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

I assume your referring to John Livingston born abt. 1805 or 1806 brother of Duncan Livingston b. abt. 1799? Savary Morvern son of Allan Livingston an agricultural labor who in the early 1800's lived at Savary, Morvern and married to Margaret or Peggy Maclean recorded as a nephew in the death record of the famous Donald Livingstons children. Up to 1861 the last record I have of him he was single as was Duncan's sister Majory. Alot of this family was single so the Robert Livingston b. 1825 that I mentioned who died in 1906 with three sons who ended up firstly in RUtherglen, Lanarkshire after highland Morvern is in my view the best possible source of living descendants in Scotland of the famous Donald Livingstone. Robert was the son of Adam Livingston the Savary Miller.

The name Robert is of major sigificance to this family and I dont know why but there are a number of Roberts to be aware of.
Firstly we know from the death record that old Donald of Savary and his wife Jane/Jean Stewart had a son Robert who died in 1856. Then there was a Robert Livingston agricultural laborer who lived at Savary born abt. 1825 son of Adam Livingston and Margaret McDonald later a resident of RUtherglen and Cambuslang, Lanarkshire where he died in 1906. He had three sons which I am trying to locate. Then there was one other Robert Livingston among the Savary Livingstons we have not discussed born abt. 1830 He went by the name of Robert Stewart Livingston and was the son of Alexander Livingston who died in 1864 according to his death record also a son of Donald Livingston and Jane or Jean Stewart. I dont think Alexander' son Robert Stewart Livingston married either. His mothers name was Margaret Stewart hence the name Stewart. I tracked him up to the 1891 Census and he continued to be single at that point. Yet another descendant of old Donald Livingstone to be unmarried. Are best bet is still Adam Livingston's son Robert Livingston b. 1826 and his three sons who resided in Lanarkshire later in the late 1800's. What happened to these three sons and their decendants in the 20th century and where did they go?

INterestingly my own Movern family connection was Miles Livingston b. 1775 b. Movern Parish though the parish records only indicate a Myles Livingstone born or baptised 1775 in the neighbouring Island parish of Lismore oddly enough. Baron Livingstone told me that Miles is a local name and not a very common one his Western Argyllshire area. The Savary family of Clan McInnes were the other family in the immediate area that used the name Miles which is also very interesting given that old Donald's mother was Ann McInnis. In the 1770's we know there were two brothers Donald and Hugh also known as Ewen that resided at Savary. Another brother Angus was killed at the Battle of Culloden in 1746 according to Donald's relatives. Their father was John Livingston and mother Ann McInnis buried by Donald Livingston at old Keil Cemtery near Lochaline,Morvern.

This was my ancestors family in Canada
Miles Livingston b. 1775 Morvern Parish according to his 1812 Kilarrow Parish Islay marriage record
From unknown first marriage
1.son Donald Livingston (Surveyor) born abt. 1796 or 1797 died 1862 Scottish settlement at Huntingdon,Beauharnois County, QUebec
From Second Marriage to Janette (Janet) nickname "Jessie" Livingstone b. abt. 1793 Morvern Parish
2. Nancy Livingston b. 1813 Lord Selkirk Red River Colony, British North America m. John Utter Clink
3. Hugh Livingston b. 1814 Lord Selkirk Red River Colony, British North America died in his youth
4. John Livingtston b. 1818 Etobicoke Township, York County, Upper Canada
5. Daniel Robert Livingston b. abt. 1820 Scotch Block, Esquesing Township, Halton County, Upper Canada
I noticed the Daniel R. in a record but did not place much significance in it until I realized that for some reason many of the Savary Livingstons connected to old Donald often had a Robert in their family. So I wonder if Miles is connected to either old Donalds family or his brother Hughs family who also had family at Savary. Until we identify through genealogical research a "documented" deccendant of old Donald and then have some subsequent test results I wont be certain as to any family connection with old Donald's Morvern family.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle and John,
Robert Livingston an agricultural laborer left Movern prior to 1851 and by the 1851 Census finds work as a farm servant in Lanarkshire. Later he finds work as a farm servant and ploughman in Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire and married about 1854, 1855 or 1856 in Lanarkshire,Scotland.
Robert Livingston b. abt. 1825/1826 at Morvern Parish Savary m. Agnes Nicol
Children of Robert and Agnes according to 1881 Scottish census Rutherglen Parish Lanarkshire in Lowland Scotland.
1. Agnes
2. Adam
3. Maggie
4.John
5. Janet
6. Robert
7.James
8.Jane
All children born in Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire

We are trying to track down what happened to his sons Adam, John Robert and James to see if any descendants survive today in Lanarkshire. They would be proven descendants of the old Donald Livingston of Savary Morvern I would think.

regards,

Donald