New member seeking some direction.

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
alexlivingstone

New member seeking some direction.

Post by alexlivingstone »

Hi there!! I appologise in advance if I am in the wrong forum heading as I understand it can be annoying when navigating through misplaced posts.

i have recently been bitten by the history bug regarding my family. I guess its bound to happen as time passes. That being said

My name is Alexander William Livingstone of ontario Canada. My father was David Angus Livingstone, and my GF was David Stanley Livingstone and my GGF was Angus Livingstone. I recently joined ancestry.ca and have found what I believe is the end of my canadian trail. I am looking to take it further abroad and discover more. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will continue to look through this site and research anything that may be of help.

Thanks kindly, Alex
Kyle MacLea

Re: New member seeking some direction.

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Welcome, Alex!

My guess is it will be helpful to have some dates for your ancestors to help with identifying the right men.

We have a lot of great researchers here to help!

Kyle=

PS I moved it to the "Ancestral Search" forum!
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society Forum. As you may notice as you go through the current and past postings here at the forum you may notice that a significant number of our highland Livingstones with family origins in Western Argyllshire at one time or another settled in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Hudsons Bay Territory Red River and Upper Canada (Ontario) in the years after the American Revolution when British North America began to be colonized by highland Argyllshire Scots among others. A number of their Livingston descendants have in the past five years or so have contacted us with information or requests for information on their ancestors.

We would be more than happy to see what info is available regarding your highland Livingstone ancestors. It would be helpful as a starting point if you could tell where your earliest ancestor ie your great-great grandfather for example and family settled in Canada and any details you have on him such as when the family came to Canada or approximately when. I can check and see if your Livington ancestors connect with any of the families our Society has researched in Canada. With that info I might be able to link your Livingston ancestors with some of the Scottish info if lucky. Sometime easy sometimes not depending upon when they left Scotland for Canada and other factors. Regular Census records in Scotland for the most part did not commence until 1841 so the most ideal situation would be if they left sometime after 1841 to access detailed Scottish census info. There are also parish records from parishes in highland Western Argyllshire where many of our clan originated dating from the late 1700's and early 1800's which also is a invaluable source if we can link your Livingstons that settled in Canada to families in parishes in Scotland. And alot of it is luck.

I am generally familiar with most of the earliest Livingston families who settled in Canada at least to some degree, but every once and while someone surprises me with a Livingston family I am not familiar with. Regarding Canadian Livingstones/Livingstons we have two family history researchers Roberta Livingstone and Jewel Brown who have extensive knowledge of Atlantic Canada Livingstones if your family settled there as well as knowledge of other Canadian Livingstone families that settled in Ontario. Look forward to hearing from you Alex.

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Alex/Donald,

Just had a quick look in Ancestry, there is also an Alexander in there, who was father of Angus Livingstone & Elizabeth McDermitt, Alexander was born on Islay, Argyllshire about 1814, I'm not sure if there is much info on Islay from that far back. Unfortunately, that appears to be as far back as it goes on Ancestry.

Alex, you may have seen this already, if not, if you go into Ancestry, then click on ''Community'', in message boards there is someone called NightMary, who is enquiring about the same family, these posts are around 5 years old,

John
Andrew Lancaster

Post by Andrew Lancaster »

alexlivingstone wrote:Hi there!! I appologise in advance if I am in the wrong forum heading as I understand it can be annoying when navigating through misplaced posts.

i have recently been bitten by the history bug regarding my family. I guess its bound to happen as time passes. That being said

My name is Alexander William Livingstone of ontario Canada. My father was David Angus Livingstone, and my GF was David Stanley Livingstone and my GGF was Angus Livingstone. I recently joined ancestry.ca and have found what I believe is the end of my canadian trail. I am looking to take it further abroad and discover more. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will continue to look through this site and research anything that may be of help.

Thanks kindly, Alex
Alex

Great to have you on the forum! We have a great collection of Canadian and other Livingstone families on the Clan DNA Project, many of whom come from Argyll. This is a very simple way to work our which male lines are the same ones, when the paper trails are not giving their secrets away. It has helped give leads in our search for the records.

Here is a join link to the main lab we use: http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join ... Livingston

And the current front page of the results: http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Discus ... Maclea.htm

(Eventually we should make a nice new webpage on the clan website.)

Keep in mind that this is not an intrusive DNA test in any way. You arrange the test yourself at a lab which just tests for Y DNA markers useful to genealogists, and not useful for anything medical etc. And it just involves wiping a stick inside your mouth, because only a tiny amount of DNA is needed.

Regards
Andrew Lancaster
(My Livingstones are Australian)
alexlivingstone

Post by alexlivingstone »

Hi Kyle/john/donald and andrew, thank you for replying!!

Kyle, I will definitely dig up so key dates that will offer better trails. John, i did get back to the sam individual - Alexander Livingstone with the date of Argyllshire 1814. I tentatively placed him in my tree as my GGGF. And I wasent able to find anymore information either but i did message 'Nightmary' to ask her some questions.

Andrew, how long does it take for results from the DNA testing? I am very excited in the possiblity of doing a test if it can be worthwhile.

Donald, thanks for the thorough post. I will gather what I can to have any help possible. As for Roberta Livingstone amd Jewel Brown, what would I need to do to get in contact with them?

Thanks again for your time and moving my post to the correct spot:)

Alexander

p.s. There is a church near Duntroon Ontario, south of Collingwood. It about 40mins from where I am. I recall when i was younger going there to visit family graves. I'm sure thats where my great GF is buried. I will take some photos and get as accurate information as I can. Thanks
Canadian Livingstone

Hello Alex,

Kyle, Andrew, Roberta and Jewel check the forum on a regular basis and will no doubt see your latest response and post a message to you.
As we establish which township your family lived in SImcoe COunty, Ontario and which family you are connected to we may be able to better help yo with more detailed info if we can access it. For now I will take an educated guess. As for Duntroon you menitoned as it is Nottawasaga Township, SImcoe County I am thinking your Livingston ancestors are connected to the Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, Ontario Livingstons from the Isle of Islay, Argyllshire Scotland who settled there in the 1830's. Alot of Scots from the Island of Islay settled in Nottawasaga Township and Duntroon is located in the 8th line, Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County. Duntroon was the main settlement in Nottawasaga Township and was originally known as Bowmore I assume because some of the early settlers of Scottish origin like the Livingstones originated from Kilarrow or Bowmore Parish on the Isle of Islay. Lamonts, Livingstons and Curries that lived in Nottawasaga Township were all Scottish Islay families.

My sense from what you are saying about Duntroon is that your Livingstons are connected to those Livingstons from the Isle of Islay, Argyllshire Scotland that settled in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, Ontario around 1833 and there was indeed an Alexander Livingston among them. I have just some general info that I keep on all of the pioneer Livingston families of Canada so to quickly identify them but hopefully this be of some help to get things sorted out.
Roberta and Jewel may have access to more detailed information if this proves to be your family.

Neil Livingston 1788-1871 and Flora Gilchrist m. Aug. 27,1810 Bowmore,Kilarrow Parish, Isle of Islay
son Alexander Livingston baptised May 23, 1811 at Bowmore, Kilarrow parish, Isle of Islay (Bowmore Round Church)

Alexander Livingston b. 1811 of Avonvoggie, Kilarrow Parish, Isle of Islay m. Flora Lamont (in Ontario)
resided in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County. ( note: Andrew and Kyle: Alexander is an ancestor of Robert Dougall Livingston)
Lamont is also an old Island of Islay family back in Argyll Scotland I know.
There is also info stating that Alexander Livingston age 49 lived in Mendonte Township, SImcoe County in 1861. There is some suggestion that the Alexander Livingston connected to Nottawasaga Township is the same Alexander that lived in Mendonte Township in the 1800's. That I have found from the 1861 Nottawasaga Township and Mendonte Township census records is not the case. There are two different Alexander Livingstons a few years difference in age living in Nottawasaga and Mendonte Township Simcoe County and one can be the son of Neil Livingston 1788-1871 and Flora Gilchrist. As Neil Livingstone and Flora Gilchrist are living in Mendonte Township in the 1861 Census I wonder if that means they are connected to the ALexander Livingston age 49 that lives in Mendonte Township or to your ALexander Livingston and Flora Lamont that lived in Nottawasaga Township. The family history information I had suggested Alexander Livingston married to Flora Lamont was the son of Neil Livingston but now I am not entirely certain.

I know that Avonvoggie was not far from Bowmore which is the main port and town in Kilarrow or Bowmore Parish and where the old Bowmore Round Church built in 1767 is still located where this Alexander was baptised and where his parents were married in 1810. (Also where my ancestor Miles Livingston was married in June of 1812 though he was born in Morvern Parish.) Hopefully more detail to follow on the family should you need it but this was the Alexander that comes to mind when your talking Duntroon which I think is in Simcoe County, Ontario near Collingwood.

Our Clan Chief Baron Niall Livingstone has told me of Islays long established thriving whiskey business and that some of the Livingstons at Islay like my ancestor Miles Livingston a barrel and boat maker likely went to Islay from other parts of Argyllshire seeking work which apparently my ancestor a native of Morvern Parish,Argyllshire did with some other kin. A number of Mull and Morvern Livingston families were living in Kilarrow and neighbouring Kilmeny Parish on the Island of Islay in 1812 when my ancestor Miles Livingston left it for Lord Selkirks Red River settlement in present day North Dakota, USA and Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Simcoe County Ontario Genealogical Society people probably have greater knowledge than I on the Scottish settlers that settled in Simcoe County in the 1830's but it is my understanding that these Livingstons settled around the mid 1830's or thereabouts and were of Isle of Islay, Argyllshire, Scotland origin. Hope this helps to answer your question as where in Scotland they came from or at least partly answer it. There is another Livingston family Donald Livingston and Mary Bruce Brown that settled in Vespra Township, Simcoe COunty in the 1800's but they did not originate from the Islay family.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Maclea Livingstone Society
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

alexlivingstone wrote:Andrew, how long does it take for results from the DNA testing? I am very excited in the possiblity of doing a test if it can be worthwhile.
Alexander,

I will send you some info (to your email address) regarding how to join the DNA project and what it's all about. The results aren't instant, but you should definitely have results within 1.5-2 months from the time they receive your kit, barring problems.

Look for an email from me!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alex,

Ok I think this is probably your great-grandfather Angus Livingston and family circa 1901 Census

1901Ontario Census SImcoe North Nottawasaga Township

Angus Livingston October 10 1849 (1911 Census states 1839?) 1861 1849 (1849 looks right)
Elizabeth June 9, 1854 (1911 Census states 1844?)
Duncan Nov. 17 1876
Alex Oct. 30 1877
Malcolm Feb.24,1878
Rebecca April 28, 1881
Neil July 2,1883
Flora January 11 1884
Corbett Oct. 12 1885
Angus Jan 20 1887
Dolton Aug 14, 1889
Stanley June 22 1891
Catharine Sept. 13 1894
Dougal Feb. 5, 1896
Maggie August 30 1867 Sister of Angus
Joseph McDermid brother in law of Angus Sept. 28 1850
I assume that your great grandfather Angus Livingston was a son of ALexander Livingston born 1811 Avonvoggie, Kilarrow Parish, Islay and his wife Flora Lamont.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alex,

Here is another useful census regarding your ancestors. I dont think there is an 1851 Census for Nottawasaga Township regretably.

1861 Census Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe North

Alexander Livingston age 44
Flora (lamont) age 39
Catharine age 16
Neil age 14
Angus age 12
Archibald age 10
Samuel age 10
Malcolm age 6
Anne 1

1871 Census Nottawasaga Township, SImcoe North
ALexander Livingston age 55

The one problem I am having is that there are two ALexander Livingstons in Simcoe County at this time. One is your ancestor Alexander Livingston that married Flora Lamont the other is an Alexander Livingston who lived in Medonte Township, Simcoe County. The 1861 Census indicates they are indeed two different persons. Regardless at least we can establish that your ancestor was the Alexander Livington that married Flora Lamont because the 1861 Nottawasaga clearly indicates that. I just would like to be 100 percent certain that Neil Livingston is the father of your ALexander and not the other ALexander that lived in Mendonte. The other Alexander living in Mendonte Township, Simcoe County is listed as being 49 in 1861 and 58 in the 1871 Census which is interesting as his age comes closer to matching the ALexander Livingston son of Neil Livingstone and FLora Gilchrist of Islay. The information I had suggested however that your ancestor was a son of Neil Livingstone and FLora Gilchrist. Hopefully we can sort that out. At least I can not panic too much as we have proof of your connection to ALexander Livingston and FLora Lamont.

1861 Census Mendonte Township, Simcoe County, Ontario
Neil Livingston age 70
Flora age 68
So Neil Livingston and Flora Gilchrist are living in Mendonte Township and your Ancestor Alexander and Flora are living in Nottawasaga Township.

Nearby to Neil Livingston and Flora is Alexander Livingston age 49 and his wife Martha age 34. What I dont know is whether this is actually the Neil's son Alexander or your ancestor Alexander the ALexander Livingston that lived in Nottawasaga Township. I just dont know for sure that the problem.

regards,

Donald

regards

regards,

Donald