New member seeking some direction.

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Roberta Ann

Re: New member seeking some direction.

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Further to the Nottawasaga Pioneers - Female Livngston/es

Katherine Livingstone m Malcolm Bell Mar. 23, 1816

Mary Livingstone m Neil McCallum Jan. 24, 1806
Children of Mary and Neil
Duncan Nov. 23, 1806
Archibald Apr 3, 1808
John Nov. 1, 1809
Donald Sept. 3, 1812

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta,

Thanks for that. Malcolm Bell, if youll pardon the pun, rings a bell. He and his family settled in Nottawasaga then? Another Islay settler. There were so many. THere must have a massive clearance of Islay residents in the mid 1830's judging by so many familes in Simcoe COunty who have Islay ancestry. We should contact someone in the Islay historical groups about this. I went to the archives today but there was no land transactions at least regarding Alex's ancestor Alexander Livingston's farm at Concession 12 Lot 38 south half 100 acres prior to the year 1858. ALexander was apparently occupying this lot by 1858 but did not take out a patent and complete the purchase of the lot from Crown in a Crown land sale before 1863. I am going to eventually check if he was located on any other lots in Nottawasaga prior to 1858 which I did not do. The family farm was located only a mile or two west of the town of Collingwood from what I could from the old Simcoe County HistoTrical atlas map of the Concessions and lots in NOttawasaga Township.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alex,

When I hit a genealogical brickwall and am getting nowhere I usually back up and try looking at the problem from a different angle to see if it helps and as luck would have I had an encouraging breakthrough in sorting out some of the connecting Islay families which I am hoping will help get a sense of the history of your Island of Islay Livingstones.

Today I took a look at an 1869 marriage record Archibald Lamont of Sunnidale son of James Lamont and Margaret McArthur married Ann Lamont age 28 born in Scotland daughter of Samuel Lamont and Catharine Shaw witness: Neil Livingston of Nottawasaga.

Now this Neil Livingston of Nottawasaga is Neil Livingson a brother of your ancestor Angus Livingston born abt. 1849 at Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe COunty, ONtario and the eldest son of your ancestor Alexander Livington born abt. 1815 on Islay and his wife FLora Lamont baptised in the 1820's at Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish, Islay. Ann is a younger sister born abt 1841 of Neil's Livingston's mother Flora Lamont or Lamond according to the Bowmore,Kilarrow Parish records a daughter of the above mentioned Samuel Lamont and Catharine Shaw. I stumbled upon this entirely by luck and noticed it mentioned Angus Livingston's older brother whom I remembered was Neil Livingston of Nottawasaga.

Now I can tell you little bit of interesting detail regarding your ancestor Samuel Lamont and his family as it is worth knowing. Samuel Lamont or Lamond was born at Ellabus,Bowmore (Kilarrow) Parish, Isle of Islay in 1791 the son of Donald Lamont miller and his wife Mary Mclean who were married March 23,1784. THis is their family:
1.Donald Lamont b.1785
2.Margaret Lamont b.1786
3.Samuel Lamont b.1791
4.Christian Lamont b.1794
5. Angus Lamont b.1796

Your ancestor Samuel Lamont or Lamond married his wife Catharine Shaw on May 4th 1822? at Bowmore Round Church in Killarrow Parish, Isle of Islay Their daugther Flora Lamont appears to have been their eldest child. There is an original baptism record but it appears incorrect. Neverthe less the old entry does acknowledge that Flora was apparently their eldest child and they were the parents. Based on the parish records and later land transaction info from a Sunidale Township deed index this is the known family of Samuel Lamont and his wife Catharine Shaw as I understand it to be.
1.Flora Lamont or Lamond b.1820? m. Alexander Livingston b.1815 of near Collingwood, Nottawasaga Township,Simcoe COunty, Ontario
2.Mary Lamont b.1823 m. Malcolm Livingston b.1819 of Duntroon, Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, Ontario
3. Donald Lamont b.1825 died June 26, 1859 Sunnidale Township,Simcoe County, Ontario
4.Angus Lamont b.1827 died December 30,1847 Sunnidale Township,Simcoe County, Ontario
5.Margaret Lamont b.1829 m. Donald Shaw who died March 30,1877 age 52 yrs 10 months 18 days in Sunnidale Twp. Simcoe County
6.Catharine Lamont b.1832 m. Rev Hugh Lamont of Finch Township,Stormont County,Ontario ?
7. Samuel Lamont b.1836 d. April 1838 Sunnidale Township, Simcoe County, Ontario
8. Ann Lamont b.1841 m. Archibald Lamont of Sunnidale Township,Simcoe County, Ontario

I am not certain when exactly Samuel Lamont and his wife Catharine Shaw left Islay for Upper Canada but if Ann Lamont apparently their youngest child was born as late as 1841 in Scotland as Ann's marriage record suggested then I would assume that the Lamonts did arrive in Simcoe County unti the 1840's at the earliest unless the info on ANns marriage record is incorrect and she was born in Canada. Anyways something that can be verified in the census records later on. When they arrived at this point I not entirely clear on but THe 1861 Sunnidale Township, Census, Simcoe County indicates that Samuel Lamont and Catharine Shaw are residing in Sunnidale Township which is adjcacent to Nottwawasaga Township and I understand is now amalgamated with Nottawasaga Township for form Clearview or something like that.

Now interestingly I noticed some information on Malcolm Livingston of Duntroon's land records which caught my eye and pertains to the above mentioned Samuel Lamont. Malcolm Livingston born 1819 whom I suspect is your ancestor ALexander Livignstons brother purchased his lot at Con. 10 Lot 24 south half in Nottawasaga Township in 1855 or 1856 from a James Henderson. He then appears if I understand correctly sold the lot to a Donald Shaw in 1863 who then sold the farm to you guessed it none other than a Samuel Lamont. Now I was not certain is was the right Samuel Lamont until I noticed a land transaction on the other half of Concession 10 Lot 24 which is the North half. THere a John McGill had the orignal Patent on the lot in 1840 and then a relative Malcolm Mcgill of Nottawasaga sold this part of the lot in 1865 to none other than a Samuel Lamont of Sunnidale whom I assume is the same Samuel Lamont of Sunnidale I have been previouslly discussing from Islay. NOw also remember that this Malcolm Livingston who had previously owned the south part of this lot was married to a Catharine Lamont who is likely connected to Samuel and Catharine Shaw as is your ancestor ALexander Livingston's wife who seems to have been their daugther Flora according to the Bowmore,Islay parish baptism record from the 1820's Lamond or Lamont.

Anyways you can see how these Islay Lamonts are showing up in your Livingston family records and in the land records and are obviously your ancestors. I still have to prove that Alexander b.1815 and Malcolm b.1819 however are the sons of a Neil Livingstone and Catharine Lamond (Lamont) (yes another Islay Lamont believe it or not) of KIlmeny Parish, Islay. I am pretty certain they are and the fact that there is another Lamont posssibly related to your family line is even more plausible given the close connection we already you know you have through ALexander's wife. It is not impossible that ALexander mother was a Lamont and he married a cousin. That is the only way I can explain it. this Kilmeny parish Livingston family is the only one in the Island of Islay records that has an ALexander born 1815 and a Malcolm born 1819 that fits so closely to what aproximate age information I have collected on them from the census records. BUt I am still trying to prove it.

ON the other hand the Medonte Township info is pretty convincing that Neil Livingstone and FLora Gilchrist are the ancestors are the parents of the Medonte Township Livingston Alexander Livingston born abt. 1819 and not your ancestor Alexander Livingston born 1815 of Nottawasaga Township though the two have been confused in the past.

regards

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alex,

Regarding the JOhn McGill of Nottawasaga Township and the Mcgills who were located in the 1840's and 1950's on the North Half of Con. 10 Lot 24 while Malcolm Livingston was later on the south half of the same lot, in the DUntroon area . Later by 1865 Malcolm Mcgill sold the lot to your ancestor Samuel Lamont of Sunnidale Township whom I assume is your Lamont ancestor. Now why I am mentioning this McGill family as I wondering what if any connection they might have to your Nottawasaga Livingston family. I dont know but what I do know is that curiously a Catharine Livingston age 63 born abt. 1798 is residing apparently beside a farmer named John McGill and his family according to the 1861 Census. I was wondering if perhaps John McGill's wife was a relative of Catharine Livingston but I dont no about that.

As there is possibly some McGill connection to your family at least as neighbours indicated by their close proxmity to Malcolm Livingtons's farm is it is possible that this Catherine Livingston is the Catharine Gilchrist that was married to Neil Livingston in Kilmeny Parish , Islay and had two sons ALexander born 1815 and Malcolm Livingston born 1819 in Storkaig, Kilmeny Parish. Is certainly is interesting that there is a widow named Catharine Livingston living apparently in the Duntroon area. Malcolm McGill did not sell the north part of COn. 10 Lot 24 until 1865 so the McGills were clearly still on the the north part of the lot beside Malcolm Livingstone of Duntroon who was on the south part of Con. 10 lot 24. All and all another possible clue suggesting that Malcolm and ALexander were the sons of a Catharine Gilchrist and Neil Livingston of Kilmeny Parish, Islay though not 100 percent certain. But as you can see the clues are there but it is not as chrystal clear as one would like. Hope this is making sense so far.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alex,

Catharine Livingston is age 80 or abt. born abt. 1791 in the 1871 Nottawasaga Census. I think she died sometime between 1871 and 1881 but I am not certain that there is tombstone for her surviving in Duntroon Pioneer where I would have thought she was buried given her location near Duntroon in 1871. She would only in her early twenties when her first child was born around 1811 so she seems to be a possible candidate for the mother Catharine Lamont mother of Alexander Livingston who was born abt. 1815 and wife of Neil Livingston of Storkaig, Kilmeny Parish, Isle of Islay. Nottawasaga was settled by Scots from both Kilarrow and Kilmeny Parish Isle of Islay. I believe your Alexander Livingston b. abt. 1815 of Nottawasaga Township
to be the son of Neil Livingston and Catharine Lamont of Storkaig, Kilmeny Parish, Isle of Islay and not Neil Livingston and Flora Gilchrist of KIlarrow Parish, Isle of Islay who were the parents of the neighbouring Medonte Township Livingstons of Simcoe COunty, ONtario.

As Roberta has pointed out there was a Malcolm Bell 1781 -1854 early pioneer of Duntroon area who was married to a Catharine Livingston residing on Con.8 Lot 1 and 2
regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Donald, Roberta, etc.

You guys are research machines!

Well done.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald and Alex.;

Also buried at the West Nottawasga Presbyterian Church Cemetery

Captain D.L. Alexander Livingstone b. 1877 d.Jan. 8, 1905
Andrew J. Livingstone b. July 13, 1913 d. July 14, 1913
Angus Livingstone b. 1847 d. 1940
Angus Miller Livingstone b. 1886 d. Mar. 19, 1918
Annie Jardine Livingstone b. Nov. 7, 1872 d. July 22, 1913
Duncan Livingstone b. 1875 d. 1962
Elizabeth McDermid Livingstone b. 1857 d April 19, 1926

Archibald McDermid and his wife donated an additional piece of land for a burying ground.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Although my ancestor Miles Livingston and his second wife were natives of Morvern Parish,one of the last views my ancestor Miles Livingston had of Scotland in June of 1812 was from the deck of the Schooner "Staffa" leaving the port of Bowmore,at Kilarrow Parish, Isle of Islay on its journey to Sligo Ireland to rondeaview with Lord Selkirk's Hudson Bay Company Vessel "The Robert Taylor" which was took Miles, his second wife Janet ("Jessie") and his teenage son Donald and cousin Donald Livingston to Hudson Bay and from there by small boat and canoe to Lord Selkirks settlement at Red River.

It is quite interesting when going through the Nottawasaga Township cemetery records and those of neighbouring Sunnidale Township just how many Islay families like those you mentioned ended up in Simcoe County in the 1830's. As I have a bit of an Islay connection and Alex most certainly does with all the Islay Livingston, Lamonts, Mcdermids etc. he is related. it ould be nice to get a little more information from Islay as to details regarding the departure of so many tenants from the Island during the 1830's.

I did a little more research at the Archives today and I could find not evidence that ALex's ancestor Alexander Livingston owned land in NOttawasaga Township before he purchased a 100 acre at the Con.12 Lot 38 south half in the early 1860's. His father in law Samuel Lamont from Islay however acquired at least three lots in the 11th concession of neighbouring Sunnidale township. Samuel's earliest land purchase of land was in 1837 so apparently he arrived in the 1830's not the 1840's. The church land where he is buried in Sunnidale Township is said to have been donated by him and the earliest burials in this Presbyterian church cemetery are from the 1830's.

Nottawasaga Township and Sunnidale Township are now amalagated and became Clearview i understand. Samuel Lamont died in 1869 and although I have not had a chance to check his 1869 will that I located, a subsequent land transaction in both Sunidale Township and Nottawasaga Township mentioned some of heirs Flora Livington and her husband Alexander Livingston of Nottawasaga, Rev Hugh Lamont of Finch Township, Stormont County and his wife Catharine and Donald Shaw and his wife Margaret. There is also a land transaction in 1872 between this group and Malcolm Livingston and his Mary Lamont who are no doubt connected to these lamonts as family as Malcolm and Alex are likely brothers as well. I was hoping that the Abtract Land index for Nottawasaga Township and neighbouring Sunnidale Township or the the deeds themselves would mention and give clues to a family connection to the various Lamonts and Alexander and Malcolm Livington as indeed I was able to find information in the deed abtract and some of the deeds that showed that ALexander and Malcolm and their wives were connected to Samuel Lamont b. 1791 of Killarrow Islay.

I was going to check the Medonte and Oro Township pioneer cemeteries for Livingstons but I forgot. I had the reel on the desk and it slipped my mind in a rush. I am thinking that ALex and his Uncle Robert might want to check out and see if there was an obituary for ALexander Livingston when he died in the local Collingwood newspaper at the time. Sometimes local pioneers and their kin get a little more of a write up. Often local historical societies keep clippings of such people's passing in a file.

Regretably the West Nottawasaga Pioneer Cemetery and that of Duntroon Pioneer Cemetery in Nottawasaga only contained the gravestones of Alexander Livingston and his family and Malcolm Livingston and his family. Catharine Livingston born abt. 1791who lived in the Duntroon area at least to 1871 was not found in the cemetery records though it is possible she was buried with her husband who died apparently sometime before the 1861 Census and perhaps the gravestone was weathered and destroyed long before the old cemtetery at Duntroon was cleaned up in the 1970's. So that was a bit disapointing. It does make it more difficult to make a case she was the mother of Malcolm Livingston of Duntroon and his brother ALexander Llivington b. abt. 1815/1814 residing near the COllingwood area.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,
Here is some info on another pioneer Livingston family in Simcoe COunty.
The Oro-Medonte Township Livingstons

Neil Livingston 1791-1871and his wife Flora Gilchrist of Bowmore,Islay Argyllshire settled first in Oro Township, Simcoe County around 1832 when Neil b. received a "Free Grant" of 100 acres from the Crown at Con.9 Lot 7. Also in 1832 a Dougall Livingston b. abt. 1802 received a "Free Grant" in neighbouring Medonte Township at Con. 11 Lot 6 w 1/2. The 1851 Medonte Census did not survive but in the 1861 Medonte Census Neil and his wife Flora are residing with son Ronald Livingston. They also had a son James who was married to Catharine Morrison and a son ALexander Livingston born abt. 1819 who was married to a woman named Martha. As yet I have no family details appart from the census info but the family church was originally the Knox Presbyterian Church in Oro Township where a badly weathered stone states that Neil Livingston died 1871 81 yrs A native of Bowmore, Islay Argyllshire,Scotland. I sincerely wish that the Livingston descendants get it off the ground as the rain will soon wash away the faded inscriptions. His son Ronald and others are buried there. One son of Alexander and martha but no sign of there resting place. Perhaps they are buried in Medonte township.

regards.

Donald
alexlivingstone

Post by alexlivingstone »

I second that Kyle!!

This is great stuff thanks so much Donald and Roberta.

Donald and Roberta, it turns out a co-worker's mother is on the Oro-Medonte historical committee, and there are still Livingstones in the area. Is there any information I could ask him to ask his mother regarding the medonte family?

Alex