New member seeking some direction.

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: New member seeking some direction.

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Alex,
I am wondering if they have a maiden name for ALexander Livingston of Medonte Township's wife Martha?
Ask them if anyone knows where Alexander b. 1819 and Martha Livingston were buried. I have not checked for a death record yet. I assume they both died in Medonte Township where they last resided.They should be in the Knox Presbyterian Church cemetery in Oro Township but only one of their sons and perhaps a few others are buried there. No mention of his wife Flora Gilchrist but Alex's father Neil Livingston who died in 1871at age 80 is there and his stone which states that he is "native of Bowmore, Islay,Argyllshire,Scotland "but that stone is lying has been lying on the ground apparently and the inscription will soon fade so that it cant be read unless the descendants undertake to upright it and secure it. It is a significant Islay Scotland settler stone that deserves to be prevented from wasting away lying flat on the ground. Hopefully some relative in OR0- Medonte Township will at somepoint soon organize an effort to save it. It really is a significance piece of Oro-Medonte Township history in itself. It would be nice to see it preserved and legible for future generations. THe other option for the descendants is to erect a new granite stone with the info from the damaged stone which will insure that Neil Livingstone's information will be legible for a very long time. That is what my relatives did with a great-great-great grandfather's stone. It is so sad to see the important Livingston info on that old Islay Livingston stone fade away till it soon cant be read. Soil and grass are also overgrowing where it says "SCotland". If there not going to save it at least that should be cleared around it.

The other thing is I want to ask if you or your Uncle Rob have checked about an obituary for your ancestor Alexander Livignton b.1815 and Flora Lamont born abt. 1820. Or FLora father Samuel who died in 1869. I am thinking that the best chance would be a possible obituary with some family info on Alexander or Flora in an old Collingwood newspaper. Perhaps the local historical society in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe COunty keeps this type on info on file. There is probably a death record for Alexander and FLora but it wont likely be too informative and wont likely list the name of Alexanders parents unfortunately given that the Ontario records generally prior to World War 1 did not often include info on the parents of the deceased like that of 19th century Scottish records from 1855 on. Very annoying fact.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

I found this a while ago and it has been bothering me ever since. Don't we have a John Livingstone and Catherine Campbell, or two, in Cape Breton?

Neil Livingstone. 32, farmer, Scotland, Glenelg, s/o John Livingstone & Catherine Campbell; married Janet McQuarrie, 21, Bentinck, d/o Donald McQuarrie & Ann Campbell. Wtn: Duncan Campbell & Donald McQuarrie; both of Bentinck. March 30, 1879 at Bemtinck.

I noticed Angus Livingstone was also born in 1847; maybe they were twins!

Donald, what do you make of this?

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

I dont think it is the same family. I dont know that John Livingstone and Catharine Campbell offhand except that there was a group of Livingston brothers and their wifes that settled in Grey County , Ontario where that Township is located who were sons of a old Donald Livingston and Christy Campbell of Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull . Four sons of Donald Livingston and Christy Campbell settled at Glenelg Township and Beltinck Township, GRey County in the 1850's. My research and that of Dawn Livingstone and John Livingston has led to the conclusion that Donald is likely the brother of Angus Livingston of Jura who roots are also at Kilfinichen Parish, Ross of Mull.

Can you do me a favor and be on the look out for any marriage records for the sons and daughters of Alexander Livingston and his wife Martha of Medonte Township,Simcoe County. I cant seem to find any so far. I am trying to find out what Martha's maiden name was. It may be in her death record. I am not sure when she died. Alexander's father Neil Livingston abt. 1790-1871 is buried in old Knox Presbyteian Pioneer Cemetery at Oro Township near Craighurst Ontario but I cant find Alexander or his wife Martha just an old stone which mentions the death of an infant son of ALexander and Martha. It may be that their stone was destroyed or lost as I think they should be buried there though there farm was in neigbhouring Medonte Township. The father Neils original land grant was in Oro Township so that is where the family lived first of all in the 1830's. Alex is going to try and find out what he can about Alexander and Martha for us from the local historical society. I have not been able to find out too much about Alex and Martha except for Census and land records. I have not checked the death records.

regards

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi ALex,

I guess this ties in with my other message today regarding the McGill family and their connection to Nottawasaga Livingstons.
Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi Alex,

Regarding the JOhn McGill of Nottawasaga Township and the Mcgills who were located in the 1840's and 1950's on the North Half of Con. 10 Lot 24 while Malcolm Livingston was later on the south half of the same lot, in the DUntroon area . Later by 1865 Malcolm Mcgill sold the lot to your ancestor Samuel Lamont of Sunnidale Township whom I assume is your Lamont ancestor. Now why I am mentioning this McGill family as I wondering what if any connection they might have to your Nottawasaga Livingston family. I dont know but what I do know is that curiously a Catharine Livingston age 63 born abt. 1798 is residing apparently beside a farmer named John McGill and his family according to the 1861 Census and given as age 80 oddly enough in the 1871 Census. She appears to have died sometime between 1871 and 1881. I was wondering if perhaps John McGill's wife was a relative of Catharine Livingston but I dont no about that.

As there is possibly some McGill connection to your family at least as neighbours indicated by their close proxmity to Malcolm Livingtons's farm is it is possible that this Catherine Livingston is the Catharine Gilchrist that was married to Neil Livingston in Kilmeny Parish , Islay and had two sons ALexander born 1815 and Malcolm Livingston born 1819 in Storkaig, Kilmeny Parish. Is certainly is interesting that there is a widow named Catharine Livingston living apparently in the Duntroon area. Malcolm McGill did not sell the north part of COn. 10 Lot 24 until 1865 so the McGills were clearly still on the the north part of the lot beside Malcolm Livingstone of Duntroon who was on the south part of Con. 10 lot 24. All and all another possible clue suggesting that Malcolm and ALexander were the sons of a Catharine Gilchrist and Neil Livingston of Kilmeny Parish, Islay though not 100 percent certain. But as you can see the clues are there but it is not as chrystal clear as one would like. Hope this is making sense so far.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

Just came across this in Ancestry, maiden name of Alexanders wife is Morrison according to them, both appear to be buried at Nottawasaga Twp, Simcoe County,

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

More on same subject from Ancestry;

Neil Livingstone b. 1788 Argyllshire, d. 1871.

Flora Gilchrist b. 1789, Kilninian (sp ?), d. 1880 Medonte.

Married Bowmore August 1810.

Neil/Flora Family;

1.Alexander b. abt. 1811 at Bowmore, Islay, d. Nottawasaga date unknown.

Married Martha Morrison b.1824 Scotland, marriage 1850.

Family;

1. Catherine b. 1847 Ontario, m. 1868 to Richard James Livingstone b. 1839.
Richards parents, Dougald 1816 - 1862 b. Scotland & Ellen Brimstead 1825 - ??? b. Ireland.
Their family,

Matilda b. 1868 at Medonte Twp.
Emily b. 1870 at Medonte Twp.

Duncan b. 1849 at Orillia Twp.
James b. 1849 as above.
Christina b. 1850 Oro Twp.
Neil 1851 - 1880 Oro Twp.
Alexander b. 1853 at Oro Twp.
John b. 1857 at Oro Twp.
Flora b. 1858 at Oro Twp.
Janet b. 1860 at Oro Twp., d. Orillia Twp.
Isabella b. 1864 at Oro Twp.

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

& more on same subject, again from Ancestry;

•ID: I570106493
•Name: Alexander LIVINGSTONE
•Given Name: Alexander
•Surname: LIVINGSTONE
•Sex: M
•Birth: 23 May 1811 in Avon Voggie,Argyleshire,Scotland
•Death: 1884
•Change Date: 19 Apr 2004
•Note:
NOTES: Surname is LIVINGSTON. He immigrated in 1832, and first settled in Oro, but 7 years later moved to Medonte Township.

SOURCES:

1. Book: Kith 'N Kin
Editor: Joanna McEwen
Publication: by The Oro Township Historical Society 1978
Page: 88

2. Book: Medonte A Township Remembered
Editor: Mary Garbutt
Publication: by The Township of Oro-Medonte 2003
Page: 404

Father: Neil LIVINGSTONE b: 1788 in Avon Voggie,Argyleshire,Scotland
Mother: Flora GILCHRIST b: 1788 in Kilinian,Scotland

Marriage 1 Martha MORRISON b: 1824 in Scotland •Married: 2 Apr 1850
•Note:
_STATMARRIED
SOURCE: Medonte A Township Remembered (page: 404)

Children 1. Duncan LIVINGSTONE b: 1849 in Oro Township,Simcoe County,Ontario,Canada West
2. James LIVINGSTONE b: 1849 in Oro Township,Simcoe County,Ontario,Canada West
3. Christina LIVINGSTONE b: 1850 in Oro Township,Simcoe County,Ontario,Canada West
4. Neil LIVINGSTONE b: 1851 in Oro Township,Simcoe County,Ontario,Canada West
5. Alexander LIVINGSTONE b: 1853 in Oro Township,Simcoe County,Ontario,Canada West
6. Flora LIVINGSTONE b: 1858 in Oro Township,Simcoe County,Ontario,Canada West
7. John LIVINGSTONE b: 1857 in Oro Township,Simcoe County,Ontario,Canada West
8. Janet LIVINGSTONE b: 1860 in Oro Township,Simcoe County,Ontario,Canada West
9. Isabella LIVINGSTONE b: 1864 in Oro Township,Simcoe County,Ontario,Canada West

John
Last edited by jmlivingstone on Sat May 14, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Really appreciate you finding that detailed info on the Oro/Mendonte Township, SImcoe County highland Islay Livingstons. Is is possible for you to copy it into a postings for my subject area intitled "Livingstons of Mendonte Township,Simcoe County,Ontario". I want to make certain that is located for future reference and for easy access by topic. My research has found that Neil Livingston, his wife Flora Gilchrist and family settled originally in Oro then neighbouring Medonte Township in Simcoe County. Sadly i have located old Neil's cemetery stone but it is now lying flat and half buried in the mud in an Oro township cemetery. Still legible but if nothing is done by descendants to preserve it I fear time and the elements will wear it away. This family were from Kilarrow Parish,Isle of Islay and arrived as you say in Simcoe County, Ontario Canada around 1832 as did other families from Islay.

Elsewhere in Simcoe County, the children of another Neil Livingston and his wife Catharine Lamont, Alexander, Malcolm and Mary settled in Nottawasaga Township. This family was also from a parish in Islay and two descendants of Alexander of Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County are in touch with the Maclea Livingstone Society.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I was looking in Ancestry for something entirely different, which needless to say, I never found, there is much more info on this family, I'll copy it all over the next few days,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

In the future the past postings could become a handy tool for people looking for info on their Livingston ancestors, so I am hoping that we can organize current and future posting to facilitate that process.

Sorry you did not find what you were looking for. Alot of it is luck. Some parish records exist and some do not. That seems to be the way of it. I was fortunate that I found other 19th century records recorded by one of Lord Selkirk's settlement employee's which indicated my ancestor Miles Livingston's approximate year of birth as the Morvern Parish records do not exist before the early 1800's. And remarkably Miles Livingston parish ob birth was recorded by the Kilarrow Parish Island of Islay minister whom married him and his wife Janet or Janette Livingston.

By the strangest of coincidences, the other day I met a family researcher at the genealogy section of our library whose ancestor was aboard the previous vessel to my ancestor's which was travelling to Lord Selkirk's Red River Settlement in British North America in 1811. Her ancestor an Irish employee of Lord Selkirks would have almost certainly known my ancestor in the years they were both at the settlement in the early 1800's. Interesting coincidence. My ancestor Miles Livingston b.1775 in Morvern Parish and his cousin Donald Livingston b.abt. 1791 were initially recruited to be boatbuilders for the settlement. Donald Livingston became the principal boatbuilder at Selkirks settlement in the early years. Miles however focused on establishing a farm on his lot by the Red River which he received from Lord Selkirk. He was only briefly at the settlement from 1812 to 1815 as by June of 1815 he left the settlement on an 1000 mile canoe trip for Upper Canada. In Upper Canada Miles resumed his boatbuilding and later became both a farmer and barrel maker. Baron Livingstone pointed out to me that Miles likely learned his barrel making while he and family was living on the Isle of Islay which has a long established whiskey making tradition.

regards,

Donald