Christina Livingston - born about 1787

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kaye Saunders

Christina Livingston - born about 1787

Post by Kaye Saunders »

My cousins (on my English side) were interested in their Matheson side, so I started researching for them, and found that their gg grandmother was a Christina Livingston, born about 1787 in Applecross, Wester Ross. She married an Alexander Matheson (also known as Alistair, and "the blind fiddler") and they had 7 children (that I've found so far). She died about 1871 in Plockton. Christina's death certificate gives her parents as John Livingston and Christina Mackenzie. That is all I know. Can anyone shed any light on where I can look for get more information on Christina and her family?

Cheers
Kaye
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Christina Livingston - born about 1787

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kaye,

I was not able to locate Christina's parents in Scottish records so far. I see Christina (Livingston) Matheson born abt 1791in the 1841 census with her husband Angus Matheson in Lochalsh Parish, in 1851 a pauper widow at Duirnish which a little south of Plockton and later in 1861 as a widow in Lochalsh Parish living with a daughter Flora also with son Donald his wife and children. The 1861 Census interestingly indicates that Christina (Livingston) Matheson was born abt. 1790 at Kishorn, Rosshire which is just a little north east of Plockton that you mentioned. I dont know much about Livingstons that were born in Applecross but it should be noted that Applecross and the village of Kishorn are linked by an old road and in fact is a short distance from one other so there is very good chance any Livingston born in Kishorn might be kin to those of Applecross. And also bear in mind there were never a large number of Livingstons in this part of the Country like in Western Argyllshire.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kaye,

This may not be connected to your families Matheson-Livingston family but I noticed this Matheson-Livingston family grouping in Lochalsh Parish, Ross and Cromarty in the 1841 census that included a Christy Livingston though not the Christy Livington you mentioned. Might they be related? Most interesting that these Livingstons in Lochalsh Parish have an Applecross and possibly a Matheson connection.
Lochalsh Parish, Ross and Cromarty County,Scotland 1841 Census Bank Street
James Matheson age 50
Fariquar age 20
John age 15
Alexander age 12
Betty Livingston age 50
Isabella Livingston age 7
Kenneth Livingston age 40 b. 1801 seaman
Mary Livingston age 40
Christy age 15
Duncan age 14
Donald age 10

1851 Census Balmacarral, Lochalsh Parish, Ross and Cromarty ( a little south of Plockton)

Duncan Matheson age 32 born Lochalsh Parish
Barbara Matheson age 32 daughter of seaman Angus Livingston b. Applecross Parish (married January 16 1845 Kyle of Lochalsh)
John age 5
Flora age 8
Christian Livington b. Applecross age 17 servant
Kenneth Livingston b. Lochalsh age 36 visitor
Angus Livingston b. Applecross age 60 seaman father in law of Duncan Matheson b. abt. 1791
(Angus perhaps a brother of your JOhn Livingston of Applecross who married Christian Mackenzie? with a Matheson connection)
Mary Livingston b. 1833 Applecross age 18 servant

1861 Census Applecross Parish
Angus Livingston b. abt. 1789 Applecross Parish sailor
Margaret born abt. 1801 (Margaret Gordon I presume) See below APplecross baptismal records of some of their children

1851 Census Applecross Parish, Ross and Cromarty Fernabeg
John Livingston b. 1811 Applecross Parish
Kate Livingston b. 1816 Applecross
Mordo b.1834
Alex b. 1837
Kenneth b. 1844
Donald b. 1846
Mary b. 1850

Baptismal records Applecross Parish
Christian Livingston born or baptised 12/04/1835 parents Angus Livingston and Margaret Gordon
Mary Livingstone born or baptised 24/01/1829 parents Angus Livingston and Margaret Gordon
Barbara born abt. 1819?

You mentioned "Plockton" which interestingly is just a little north east of Kyle of Lochalsh while Applecross is just a little north of Kyle of Lochalsh. Angus Livingston's daughter Barbara Livingston married Duncan Matheson of Lochalsh Parish at Kyle of Lochalsh. A good atlas of Scotland will show how close these villages were to each other. These above mentioned Livingstons may be somehow connected to the John Livingston that married a Christy Mackenzie. THere were Mathesons, Mackenzies and a small number of Livingstons in this area of Scotland so the odds are reasonable that ANgus and the others could be related to the John Livingston that married Christy Mackenzie but I dont know for certain.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kaye,

Some more records connecting Livingstons to Mathesons and Mackenzies

Christina Matheson died Oct. 4 1871 at Plockton
widow of Alexander Matheson
parents John Livingston and Christina Mackenzie

Kenneth Livingston sailor died 78 years March 9 1872 at Plockton
widower of Christina Mackenzie
parents Donald Livingston and Christina Livingston

Margaret Livingston died June 21 1871 aged 75 yrs at Uags, Applecross
husand Angus Livingston sailor deceased

Could not find a death record for Angus Livingston of Uags Applecross parish though he died apparently sometime between 1861 and 1871. THey wrote deceased beside his name on his wifes death record and then scratched it out. Dont know what that means. Maybe they dont know what happened to him.
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Kaye,

Found a marriage for Christine McKenzie and John Livingstone in Dundee on Feb. 18, 1793. Also a christening for a John Livingtone on December 27, 1793 parents John livingstone and Christine McKenzie in Dundee.

Jewel
Kaye Saunders

Post by Kaye Saunders »

Thanks to you both - you have been busy. I will sort stuff out over the weekend when I get a chance to get back on with research.

Cheers
Kaye