Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, Ontario Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, Ontario Livingstons

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

The 1861 Census for Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County indicates two Livingston householders born in the early 1800's and one elder Livingston householder born in the 1790's who was a Schooteacher. From the Cemetery records I discovered that both Malcolm and Alex's descendant married Lamont sisters. And more reason to wonder if Malcolm and ALexander were brothers themselves.This seems to be the case. So many questions that need to be answered. Oh well I like a challenge. By the way Malcolm Livingston and his wife Mary Lamont are buried at Duntroon.Simcoe County,Ontario in the Pioneer cemetery there and ALex's ancestor ALexander Livingston born abt. 1815 aaccording to the 1891 Census and his his wife FLora Lamont is buried in West Nottawasaga Presbyterian Cemetery. I would like to also look Alexander and Malcolm's death record.

Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County Livingstons

Malcolm Livingston born abt. 1819 Islay, Argyllshire, Scotland died March 6,1904 Nottawasaga Township. Buried Duntroon Pioneer Cemetery, Nottawasaga Township
Mary (Lamont) born abt. 1825 died Feb. 7,1899 Nottawasaga Township, Buried Duntroon Pioneer Cemetery
Mary Livingston b. abt. 1857 or 1858 in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, Ontario
Donald Livingston b. abt. 1860 or 1861 in Nottawasaga Township
Neil Livingston b. abt. 1863
Catharine Livingston b. abt. 1865

Donald Livingston b. abt. 1796 schooteacher at Duntroon (See 1861 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe COunty Census)

In a different part of Nottawasaga Township near Collingwood,Ontario
Alexander Livingston born abt. 1814 or 1815 Islay,Argyllshire, Scotland died Feb.28,1897 Nottawasaga Township Simcoe County. Buried West Nottawasaga Pioneer Cemetery
Flora age b. 1820 or 1823, Kilarrow Parish,Islay, died September 21,1873 Nottawasaga Township,Simcoe County,Ontario. Buried West Nottawasaga Pioneer Cemetery. daughter of Sunnidale Township,SImcoe County pioneer Samuel Lamont of Kilarrow Parish, Islay.

Children of Alexander Livingston and Flora Lamont
Catharine Livingston b. May 8,1845 Nottawasaga Township died Oct.19,1929 m. Duncan McGillveray Dec 26,1861 Nottawasaga Township
Neil b. abt. 1846 married Jane Arbuthnot June 15,1872 Collingwood,Ontario
Angus b. abt. 1849 m. Elizabeth McDermid
Archibald born abt. 1850 m. Margaret McDermid Feb.17,1875 or March 15,1880 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County
Samuel born abt. 1853
Malcolm born abt. 1855
Anne age born abt. 1860 died April 22,1917 married Jack Marr April 28,1915
Flora and Mary Lamont are sisters daughters of Samuel Lamont born in Kilarrow Parish, Islay

Now oddly enough there is an Alexander Livingston baptised March 18,1815 Storkaig, Kilmeny Parish Isle of Islay and by strange coincidence he had a brother named Malcolm baptised October 27 1819. This Alexander and Malcolm were the sons of Neil Livingston and Catharine Lamond or Lamont of Kilmeny Parish. No marriage record for them.Now I would think that this could be the parents of the ALexander and Malcolm of Nottawasaga Township but I am still not certain how that Donald Livingston from the 1790's connects with Malcolm and would like to do some more research on these two Livingston families in Nottawasaga before coming to any final conclusions. Kinda a work in progress for the time being. This one as you can see is a bit tricky and I want to avoid jumping to any conclusions regarding ALex or Malcolm's parentage. I am pretty certain they are all from the Island of Islay and connected one way or another to settler influx from the Isle of Islay, Scotland that commenced in 1833/1834 to Simcoe County, Ontario. So in regard to Alex Livingstons original question as where his ancestors came from I am almost completely his Livingston family roots at least from the late 1700's early 1800s are with Livingstons that lived an worked on the Island of Islay. Before that though it would be difficult to trace they likely originated like my Islay Livingstons from Mull or Morvern in Argyllshire.
Jewel

Re: Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, Ontario Livingstons

Post by Jewel »

Hello,

I came across a bit of history that mentions a Lieutenant Livingston during the War odf 1812 in the Nottawasaga River.

NANCY ISLAND

Described as "a perfect masterpiece of workkmanship and beauty", the Nancy was built as a private cargo vessel in 1789. However, during the War of 1812, she was pressed into service and played an important role as a British supply ship. Commanded by a British Naval Officer Lieutenant Worsely for a brief period in 1814, the ship was referred to as "H.M.S. Nancy".

In September 1813, the Battle of Put-in-Bay on Lake Erie allowed the traditional British supply route to the Upper Great Lakes to fall under American control and left the Nancy as the sole surviving British ship on the Upper Lakes. Unknown to the Americans, the British immediately chose the Nottawasaga River as their new supply route. this was a partially overland route from York(Toronto) north to the Holland River. From Lake Simcoe to Lake Huron the route was once used by Indians for generations. It was on the Nottawasaga River that the Nancy then received and transported supplies to the British garrison at Fort Mackinac, between Lakes Huron and Michigan.

American forces soon learned of this new British supply route and made plans to capture the Nancy. A 360 mile canoe trip was made from Fort Mackinac to the Nottawasaga River by a British scout, Lieutenant Livingston with a message warning Lieutenant Worsley to hide the Nancy up river away from the approaching Americans. However, on August 14, 1814, three American ships discovered the Nancy. Despite a courageous battle by Lieutenant Worseley and Livingston, 22 seamen, 23 Indians and 9 French Canadians voyageurs, against some 500 American men, the Nancy was set afire and sunk into to depths of the Nottawasaga River.

With her destruction the American forces hoped to starve the northern garrison at Fort Mackinac into surrender and gain control of the much desired Upper Great Lakes.
However, Lieutenant Worsley, Nancy's crew and Fort Mackinac troops rallied to capture two of those same American ships, the Tigress and Scorpion. This allowed the British to regain control of this vital route, hastenin the end of the war and the signing of the Treaty of Ghent in 1814.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

I think that was British officer Lieutenant Ramsay Livingston serving in Canada during the War of 1812. Dont believe he was of highland Livingston origin. I noticed that info too and it does look like an interesting story. I am a greatly interested in the War of 1812 as my father had a few kin serving in County regiments in Upper Canada during that War. My one great-great-great Uncle was in a York COunty Regiment that at Queenston Heights when British General Isaac Brock tragically fell to snipers bullet to the heart as he leading his men up the heights. Another great-great-great Uncle missed out on the famous Battle of Stoney Creek near Hamilton, ONtario and as young private in the 5th Lincoln Regiment was on sentry duty at the British headquarters at Burlington Heights not far away.

I was curious if Ramsay Livingston had any aristocratic ancestry with the lowland "Ramsay Livingston" connection. Most of the British officers at that time I would think came from aristocratic families, wealthy families and was I curious if he was connected to the Ramsay family and the Livingston family both of whom were aristocrat families in lowland Scotland at one time or another. You would be hard pressed to find one of our highland Livingstons serving in the rank of officer in the British Army in the early 19th century I am afraid. They were pretty much doomed to be privates. You may find a Livingston officer in the British Army in late 1600's as well but he was I am pretty certain connected to the old Lowland family. There does not seem to be any highland Macleas or Livingston officers recorded in the rolls of the Jacobite armies either.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Thank you Donald, appreciate your knowledge!

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Thanks for that. Your wisdom, genealogical contributions and insightful comments are likewise greatly appreciated. You, Roberta and Barry have done in particular some pretty amazing things with our Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia/Cape Breton Livingston inquiries over the last few years and that is something to be very proud of. There were a significant number of highland Livingstones that settled in Atlantic Canada and their descendants are still strongly rooted in the gaelic culture there. Hopefully many more will contact the forum in the future.

Regarding these Simcoe County, Ontario Livingston families, I thought if I organized some of these Ontario Livingstons by Township and County some of their descendants might contact us in the near future. Alex Livingston and his Uncle Rob are descended from ALexander Livingston and Flora Lamont of Nottawasaga Township both from the Island of Islay,Argyllshire. There were infact a large number of Islay families many from Kilarrow Parish and some from Kilmeny Parish, Currie, Lamont, Gilchrist, McDermid, Livingston for example that left the Island in the 1830's for Upper Canada (Ontario) and the townships of Simcoe County in particular. Was this a forced clearance of Kilarrow Parish and other parts of Islay at this time or were the local population encouraged to settle in Upper Canada by the British Government? I would like to know more about why so many Islay folks from the Kilarrow Parish area left in the early 1830's and some settlement details. I noticed there are a couple of Islay sites and alot of people are researching their Islay ancestors. Interestingly Neil Livingston and FLora Gilchrist of Islay who settled in Oro Township, Simcoe County in 1832 and later lived in Medonte Township, Simcoe COunty were married a few years earlier in the same Bowmore Presbyterian Round Church in Kilarrow Parish, Islay as my ancestors Miles Livingston and his wife Janet Livingston. I wonder if they knew each other?

regards,

Donald
alexlivingstone

Post by alexlivingstone »

Hi everyone,

Still awaiting the information from my contact at the Oro-Medonte Historical society. Apparently she has a bunch, I just hope it is useful to you. I'll post as soon as I can.

Alex
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alex,

Look forward to seeing what you find out from the folks at the Oro-Mendonte Historical Society. I got the name finally for the wife of the "other' Alexander Livingston born abt. 1811 that was a farmer in Medonte Township and was the son of a Neil Livingston and Flora Gilchrist who were married in Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish, Islay. The wife "Martha" was Martha Morrison i found out. Neil Livingston d. 1871 and is buried at Knox Presbyterian Cemetery, Oro although in his later life lived with his son Ronald in neighnouring Mendonte Township. Ronald is buried in Knox Presbyterian Cemtery and is ALex's other brother James and his wife Catharine Morrison. Perhaps Martha and Catharine were sisters. Gilchrist is another Islay family. Interestingly I could not find this Alexander and his wife Martha Morrison in the cemtery though some of their children were buried there. Perhaps they are buried in a newer cemetery. Knox Presbyterian is probably a Pioneer cemetery in Oro Township. ALex and Martha I think died after the 1880's.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alex,

The 1861 and 1871 Nottawasaga Township Census records a widowed Catharine Livingston living with a Mcgill family on Concession 10 Lot 24. The McGill farm must have been adjacent to farmer Malcolm Livingstons which also located on Concession 10 lot 24 near Duntroon. Catharine Livingston lived on the farm of John and mary McGill. In the 1871 Census Catharine Livingston age 80 widower is living with Mary McGill widower and family at Concession 10 Lot 24. From this I am fairly certain that Catharine Livingston is the mother of Malcolm Livingston of Duntroon and probably Alexander Livingston. Mary McGill could be Mary Livingston born abt. 1822 daugher of Neil Livingston and Catharine Lamond or Lamont of Kilmeny Parish , Isle of Islay and sister of a Catharine, Alexander, Archibald and Malcolm Livington although the 1861 and 1871 cenus seems to indicate Mary mcGill was born abt. 1825 or 1824. In any event the widow Catharine Livingston located on COncession 10 Lot 24 north half strongly suggests she is the mother of Malcolm Livingston of Concession 10 Lot 24 south half of Duntroon and in my view guite likely mother of your ancestor of Alexander Livingston. The question is what happened to Catharine Livingston's husband? He and his wife likely arrived in the 1830's but I do find any Livingston records for settlement in Nottawasaga at this time.

Back in Kilmeny Parish, Isle of Islay the parish records indicate
Neil Livingston and "Catharine" Lamond or Lamont
Catharine b. abt. 1811
Archibald b. abt. 1813
Alexander b. abt. 1815
Malcolm b. abt. 1819
Mary b. abt. 1822?

My hunch is this is Alexander Livingston, Malcolm Livingston and Mary McGill of Nottawasaga Township and their widowed mother Catharine Livingston.
regards,

Donald
david.livingstone

Post by david.livingstone »

Hello everyone. My name is David Livingstone and I'm interested in finding out where my great-great grandfather Archibald Livingstone came from. He was born about 1835-1836, Quebec according to various census records, and died in 1901, buried in Poplar Hill Cemetery, Poplar Hill Ontario. He married Susanna Doid. In the 1871 and 1881 census he was listed as living in Simcoe South. They had 7 children:

Thomas A b 1856
Rebecca Lewis b1863
Archibald N b 1866
Joseph A b 1869
John Henderson b 1872 (my great grandfather)
Frances Edward b 1878
Lewis Herbert b 1880

They eventually moved to Middlesex South Ontario (Lobo) per the 1891 census.

I've been unable to find any information regarding his birth in Quebec, nor any information on who his parents were, etc.

Would anyone have any additional information that would point me in the right direction?
Canadian Livingstone

Hi David,

Welcome to the Maclea Livingstone Society Forum.
See my comments to your message in a new posting of mine under the title "Archibald Livingston of Lobo Township, Middlesex County, Ontario" where I discuss the known info on Archibald in Ontario from Innifil Township, SImcoe County to Lobo Township Middlesex and his possible Quebec family connection.

regards.

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society